Author Topic: Nostalgia for the 80's.....  (Read 6898 times)

Nostalgia for the 80's.....
« on: 21 August, 2010, 11:49:55 pm »
I spent my late teens drooling over gear I couldn't afford in "The Great Outdoors" , "Climber & Rambler" and "Footloose"......

Someone has collected and scanned in a lot of catalogues, adverts & images from those halcyon days here

I've never owned a Rohan shirt or shorts but can remember treasuring this catalogue..... :P

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Nostalgia for the 80's.....
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:39:56 am »
And, unlike your paper version of the catalogue, the pages still turn  :)

These two, however, look like they're off to a neo-Nazi convention.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:43:02 am »
I didn't see her in the Rohan shop on Keswick

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2010, 08:58:24 am »
I used to endlessly pore over the Fjallraven catalogue. Not because of lust after Scandinavians, I just rather liked the kit but could never have afforded it. 

Fjällräven - Start

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2010, 09:30:50 am »
I remember people raving about Rohan stuff in the 80s. Travellers rather than full-on hikers. I looked in a Rohan shop a few months ago and their famous trousers struck me as overpriced nylon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2010, 10:18:34 am »
I remember people raving about Rohan stuff in the 80s. Travellers rather than full-on hikers. I looked in a Rohan shop a few months ago and their famous trousers struck me as overpriced nylon.

It was always expensive kit, but I've a pair of their Goa trousers that are approx 10 years old and they still look new.    When that catalogue was published shops were still selling tweed and corduroy breeches and wool lumberjack shirts as standard hiking wear.  Their designs were very innovative and they pioneered the use of lots of new fabrics.    The brand changed hands after Paul Howcroft died in an accident , and seems to have changed direction as well, the last time I was in one of the shops a lot of the stuff looked aimed at frequent flyers rather than campers.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2010, 02:40:28 pm »
I didn't really know about a change in direction, but I do agree with your comment on frequent flyers. TBH that seems the way "outdoor gear" generally is going, perhaps it's the influence of the word "traveller" or perhaps it's just the increase in flying? All hidey pouches for your wallet and mp3 player, waterproof-breathable passport covers, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2010, 01:43:22 pm »

No

Their cotton/poly trousers were simply fantastic. Practically windproof, dried in minutes, packed up to the size of a pair of thin socks. A real revolution in kit.

They were and are the best thing out for summer hiking in the UK. Cut the wind enough to stop you getting chilled, dry out very fast if you get caught out in a summer shower. Not sweaty.

Pair them with thermal longs and they do for serious walking into winter weather.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2010, 03:36:02 pm »
I had a pair of their "hot bags" for years. Proper winter outdoor walking kit, they were fantastic. I used to get weird colours or ex-fabric tests in the London shop's annual sale.
I came home with some weird, but very practical stuff that my girlfriend hated with a passion. Plum coloured trousers anyone?

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:18:39 pm »
Oh the nostalgia  ;D

I was a partial "Rohan-man" for the first few years after I moved to Edinburgh (late 80's) due to the presence of the Rohan shop - could only afford the sale price stuff mind you. Tended to avoid the total rohan head-to-toe look mostly.

Bags - the poly-cotton trousers - were just brilliant, but  often in rather strange colours  :sick:.
I find these days I wear Craghoppers Kiwis, which to me are their successor.

I had a over the head jacket/jumper called an Olfio which was just so versatile and useful I practically lived in it. I think I may even still have it in the loft somewhere !

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:55:53 pm »
I got involved with Rohan as a student so is has very special memories to me. Their use of professional models at the Harrogate Trade Fair caused a lot of excitement and more than a little grumbling from the traditionalists. That was Paul Howcroft though, always looking to break new ground.

As for catalogues I remember getting my hands on my first L.L. Bean one, that was special.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2010, 02:17:22 pm »
I got involved with Rohan as a student

I expect that you were offered a little bit by a friend, were you?  Just for occasional, personal use.  Maybe to celebrate the end of exams or something?

All too often, that's how it starts.  One minute you’re just experimenting, but before you know what you’re doing, you can’t live without the stuff.  By the end of finals, you’re going everywhere in zip-off trousers, hiking boots and a little goatee beard.

Think on.  Just say no.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2010, 02:31:02 pm »
I still have the top on the left and it just about fits!

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #13 on: 26 August, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »
And my profile goes with it too. Cue spooky music.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #14 on: 26 August, 2010, 02:53:51 pm »

I had a over the head jacket/jumper called an Olfio which was just so versatile and useful I practically lived in it. I think I may even still have it in the loft somewhere !

That's the one - mine was blue body, red yoke/sleeves

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: 26 August, 2010, 04:41:15 pm »
I threw away my original Pampas jacket about six months before the launched the "New for old" campaign whereby if you had an original you could return it and they would send you the new design Pampas for free. I was a little miffed about that.

Charlotte, I'm OK now. Just the occasional weekend use and it's pretty much under control. Never more than one item at the same time.  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2010, 06:39:09 pm »

I thought it looked a bit big on her.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2010, 06:45:51 pm »

That woman looks just like Mrs MV's sister  :o