Author Topic: Campsite in Yorkshire Dales  (Read 3384 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Campsite in Yorkshire Dales
« on: 24 August, 2010, 11:07:34 am »
We are looking for a site a comfortable afternoon's ride from Ilkley; peaceful, no/very few shrieking kids and close to a good real ale pub. Any suggestions?

Re: Campsite in Yorkshire Dales
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2010, 11:10:46 am »
Gordale Scar, near Malham.  Quiet level site next to really interesting ravine. 1mile from 2 real ale pubs and a very good cafe.  If weather turns foul, there is a yha in malham.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=goredale+scar&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.149238,32.167969&ie=UTF8&hq=goredale+scar&hnear=&ll=54.06605,-2.137399&spn=0.00685,0.023882&t=h&z=16

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2575
<i>Marmite slave</i>

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2010, 11:14:03 am »
There is a campsite in Malham at the bottom of the road up to the cove ,cant comment on its farcilities .The view is pretty good though.

Goredale is just round the corner and very nice too .

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2010, 11:16:43 am »
Both thinking of malham . . . .

It has the advantage of at least 3 route choices from Ilkley. You can use flattish roads via skipton. Go hilly and climb on the top above malham from either side. If you go over the top, do fettle your brakes before setting off. The sustained 1/5 drop down to Malham is a real test of brake power.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »
It's right on the edge of the Dales, but I've stayed at Dalesbridge a couple of times.  It's got a large camping field, or a bunkhouse or B&B option.   It wasn't expensive to camp, only £8 for the two of us.  I see it's currently a staggering £4.50 each, and £3.00 per tent!  Out of season I think it's much cheaper.

There's a real ale bar on site in the main building, although I haven't used it and can't speak for the atmosphere.  Otherwise you're only a short walk from Austwick and the local pub/B&B/bar, or about 5 miles from Ingleton.  Inglesport Café (over the shop) and Bernie's Caving Café in Ingleton are both good for breakfast.

It's a good base of operations for a walking weekend, but I can't vouch for how quiet or childfree it is during school hols.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2010, 01:28:14 pm »
Photos of Goredale Scar, from the Scar.

(click to show/hide)

The waterfall in the Scar

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »
Austwick had a lovely farm site we used two years ago. Simple loos and shower, basic but clean. Lovely people and a pub in the village about half a mile away. Only problem is I can't put a name to it and it doesn't appear on OS maps. We stumbled on it when looking for a bigger site.

Found it: here

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2010, 05:51:04 pm »
We stayed in one near Reeth. Two or three pubs in the village. No idea how close to Ilkley it is but pretty easy acess from Northallerton station.

The camp site was quite peaceful apart from the wind in the leaves of the poplar trees we camped near.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2010, 07:40:31 pm »
We stayed there too. If that is the one that always keeps a few pitches free for cyclists and walkers. Very friendly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2010, 07:49:54 pm »
Orchard camp site at the bottom of the village in Reeth?  yep, been there too.   :thumbsup:
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:40:14 pm »
Orchard camp site at the bottom of the village in Reeth?  yep, been there too.   :thumbsup:

That's the one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »
Malham is also well stocked with pubs providing real ale :P