Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331858 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #625 on: 29 May, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »
After much googling and forum threading ordered a full set of Orlieb Classic Rollers via SPA. We will see. (Was originally going to get cotton duck and may live to regret this). Oh and I remounted Tubus low rider rack. Also bought 4 litre OL water bladder. I understand they make reasonable pillows. Insidious this camping stuff. Just hope they arrive before the week end as Loadsabikes and I have decided to rescue the forum table leg Baton and my other panniers are completely not waterproof.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #626 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:03:40 am »
I havent met anyone who regretted buying Ortlieb panniers.

« Reply #627 on: 30 May, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »

Whilst making a noise is a good bear deterrent, I wasn't aware you could buy bells for the purpose - looks like something else to put on the list. Wonder if there's a Ti version available  ;D

Reminds me of a joke:

A young couple want to go hiking in bear country, and want to make sure they will be safe, so they check with a ranger. They say "We've heard we should carry pepper spray, and wear little bells to make a noise. Is that right?"
He replies, "well, it's important to know if you're dealing with black bears or grizzly bears".
"Oh," they say, "how will we know?"
"You look out for the bear poo, and that will help you identify them".
"Really?" they ask. "How can we tell them apart?"
"Well," he says, "the grizzly poo smell of pepper and is full of little bells...."
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #628 on: 01 June, 2012, 09:58:30 am »
A Terra Nova Laser Comp 1-man tent.  Wow, it's light!

Thanks, PH.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #629 on: 01 June, 2012, 10:16:35 pm »
Secondhand Saunders Space Packer tent. Noticably smaller than my 25 year old Spacepacker Plus by a few inches in all directions but excellent as a spaceous lightweight one person tent and perfectly okay for two if you're short like all we gears.

« Reply #630 on: 07 June, 2012, 05:20:55 am »
New silk liner to replace the one which disintegrated in Iran... I did buy a cotton liner, but it's a bit bulky and uncomfortable.

Also, a new headtorch to replace my cheapo Aldi one, which has lasted well, but the switch doesn't... switch any more, and it tends to turn itself off whenever the unit gets nudged.

The new one is a Black Diamond Storm, which I am liking, though I've only been able to play with it - I'm not going cycling around Kathmandu at night to test it.

Things I like:

It takes 4 AAA batteries rather than the unsatisfactory three which my Aldi jobbie took, so I can charge batteries together, or buy a pack of four and not have a leftover.

The sequence of functions is much better. The main light comes on at a single click, and off again at a single click. Then the sidelights come on and off again at a single click. The lesser-used blinkies and red light functions come on after different click combinations, so I won't have to scroll through three or four different lights just to turn the thing off.

It's easy to adjust the brightness (on full power it is pretty damn bright), by holding down the switch while the light's on, and it flashes to let you know when it's at its dimmest. Minor quibble: for camping purposes I'd prefer it came back on at the previous brightness setting, rather than defaulting to the most powerful setting.

It has a battery life indicator.

It is very bright - it'll be useful for night riding.

It was expensive, but at the equivalent of £20-£25 I don't think that's too bad.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #631 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:26:40 am »
I bought a Black Diamond in preference to a Petzl several years ago & it's been faultless.
I hope you remain as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #632 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:31:13 am »
For me: a titanium mug and Ti trivet for my WhiteBox stove. I already have a Ti spork ;)
For SWMBO: An Alpkit Gamma headtorch for when she does night walks.

« Reply #633 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:41:17 am »
I’ve been raiding Poundland. They have a really light picnic mat with waterproof backing, which will do as either something to sit on or something for the dog to lay on in the tent when she comes camping. I also got some plastic groundsheet pegs which came with a tent peg puller (won’t be bothering with that as it’s heavy) and a small travel washing line, which I’m not quite sure how I will attach, but thought it was worth experimenting for a quid.

They also had a small groundsheet which would be good if you just wanted one for a porch.

I was tempted by the wee camping stools but then I fell on my behind testing one out and entertained the rest of the Poundland customers, so that was my good deed for the weekend ;D

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #634 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:01:24 am »
A new spirit burner for the Trangia.

« Reply #635 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:39:02 am »
New silk sleeping bag liner, the old one (10 years? More?) was so old it would rip a little more every time I moved a little in the sleeping bag.

Hilleberg Soulo tent with footprint. I set it up, crawled in and out and took it down in the shop with minimal assistance from the shop staff. Very impressive, and I think this will be my tent of choice for all my back country travels.

Deano & Jogler: I own a Black Diamond Storm headlamp, along with a good sized pile of other Black diamond products. Excellent headlamps, and everything else they make is excellent as well.

« Reply #636 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:10:12 pm »
some rock pegs…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #637 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »
I'm listing these as camping gear not cycling gear because of where I intend to use them, but at last years Semaine Federale I tried on a friends SPD sandals (as you do) and found they were much much comfier than the new style Shimano SPD sandals with the 3 straps, that tend to rub below my outer ankle bone in a not very good way. Hers were Exustar branded, who I had never heard of, but I picked up a pair in the Spa cycles sale (they are still reduced) in the autumn and put them away.

Today I got them out and fitted their cleats and went for a ride with them, on top of socks since it wasn't really that warm, no one who cared was looking, and they were new so of unknown comfort. I would definitely give these the thumbs up, they have nice padding under their straps, have 3 velcro adjustable bits, and even offer a bit of toe protection which is quite nice. The SPD cleats are sufficiently recessed that I can walk around on my oak floors without damaging them. It rained a bit on my ride but these sandals dried off instantly when I got home. Very impressed with them so far. The plan is they will be my cycle camping shoes  :thumbsup:

« Reply #638 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:34:41 pm »
on top of socks

*The girl who admitted to wearing socks with sandals and thought her friends would still talk to her*

« Reply #639 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »
on top of socks

*The girl who admitted to wearing socks with sandals and thought her friends would still talk to her*

Sadly there is already photographic evidence of this heinous crime here http://jakal.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~timo/DunRun2011/small.php?file=_7160939.JPGR&size=640

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #640 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »
I'm listing these as camping gear not cycling gear because of where I intend to use them, but at last years Semaine Federale I tried on a friends SPD sandals (as you do) and found they were much much comfier than the new style Shimano SPD sandals with the 3 straps, that tend to rub below my outer ankle bone in a not very good way.

Ah interesting.  That's the problem barakta has with the Shimano ones.  Which I've been failing to return to Spa for ages now...

Got any sizing advice?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #641 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »

Sadly there is already photographic evidence of this heinous crime here http://jakal.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~timo/DunRun2011/small.php?file=_7160939.JPGR&size=640

I mitigate the crime by wearing black Sealskinz with my Shimano spd sandals

« Reply #642 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
I'm listing these as camping gear not cycling gear because of where I intend to use them, but at last years Semaine Federale I tried on a friends SPD sandals (as you do) and found they were much much comfier than the new style Shimano SPD sandals with the 3 straps, that tend to rub below my outer ankle bone in a not very good way.

Ah interesting.  That's the problem barakta has with the Shimano ones.  Which I've been failing to return to Spa for ages now...

Got any sizing advice?

I got the 37/38 and am a UK size 5 and they fit fine  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #643 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:14:20 pm »
No Shimano style size inflation then, thanks...

« Reply #644 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:22:58 pm »
No Shimano style size inflation then, thanks...

There's a velcro strap behind the heel so you can adjust the length as well as tightness so there's room for manoeuvre. I went down rather than up (I'm slightly between the sizes with these) because I don't want toe overlap, but on a recumbent this is probably pretty irrelevant!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #645 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »
That sounds ideal, then, as the problem she's having with her current (Decathlon cheapo, seemed comfortable at the time) shoes is that they're not tight enough around the heel and her foot slips out at high cadences, leading to clenching and eventual foot pain.

No toe (or heel, which can happen on SWB bikes) overlap on a Trice!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #646 on: 16 June, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »
I bought a Hilleberg Akto off andrewc otp

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #647 on: 16 June, 2012, 07:45:56 pm »
I bought a Hilleberg Akto off andrewc otp
Great wee tent.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #648 on: 16 June, 2012, 07:54:32 pm »
I've been hankering for one of these for a while but the intermittent use couldn't justify the cost of a new one.
I shall have a test erection on the back lawn tomorrow.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #649 on: 16 June, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »
I've been hankering for one of these for a while but the intermittent use couldn't justify the cost of a new one.
I shall have a test erection on the back lawn tomorrow.

I was in a similar situation to you and managed to pick one up second hand for a decent price.  I've only been able to use it for one night so far but I was impressed at the amout of usable space there was inside.