Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 335289 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1650 on: 20 August, 2021, 08:51:26 am »
I had an Alpkit headtorch that failed. Wouldn't turn on IIRC or would only access some modes. It was still under guarantee and they refunded with no quibble. Apart from that everything I've had from them has been good quality and they seem like vaguely decent people.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1651 on: 20 August, 2021, 09:46:12 am »
I like the look of the aeronaut https://alpkit.com/products/aeronaut-1. No poles and looks like a decent space. 

Big question whether to go for a small tarpaulin to extend over the bike and bivvy or go for the tent for later in the year.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1652 on: 20 August, 2021, 09:56:32 am »
I like the look of the aeronaut https://alpkit.com/products/aeronaut-1. No poles and looks like a decent space. 

Big question whether to go for a small tarpaulin to extend over the bike and bivvy or go for the tent for later in the year.

I think the Aeronaut is ideal for cycle camping as you would have a pump to hand...  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1653 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:12:37 am »
Though I note it's only with a Schrader valve, despite bikepackers, it's natural market, almost entirely using Presta. Presumably this is because Schrader is better at handling the larger volumes of air needed, which makes me think it probably takes an awful lot of pumping. Especially if you, being a space-conscious bikepacker, have a mini-pump.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1654 on: 20 August, 2021, 11:15:05 am »

If you're looking for a tent, I'm about to put a Terra Nova Laser up for sale for a very similar price to that?

« Reply #1655 on: 20 August, 2021, 11:18:33 am »
Is that the compact 1? how much?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1656 on: 20 August, 2021, 12:01:14 pm »
I'll message you.

« Reply #1657 on: 20 August, 2021, 12:49:01 pm »
There's a lot of alpkit love going on here but I'll never buy from them again.

I applied for a job with them, for which I am perfectly qualified and experienced. I told them my current salary (which is about 75% of the MEAN for the position) but said that it wasn't an expectation as I wanted to work for an organisation so aligned with my interests.

They said they couldn't meet my salary expectations. Now, there's lots of reasons people don't get shortlisted or interviewed for jobs, but by saying they couldn't meet my salary expectations they were basically saying they didn't want to pay the going rate for the job. Fuck that, kiddos.

« Reply #1658 on: 20 August, 2021, 07:08:43 pm »
A oex bush pro bivvy bag from blacks reduced to £45  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1659 on: 24 August, 2021, 01:52:00 pm »
This is our new tent https://www.naturehike.com/collections/tents/products/naturehike-outdoor-four-seasons-cloud-tunnel-2-person-tent-for-camping-nh20zp006?variant=36758917775514

An absolute game changer for us. Loads of room for two with plenty of room in the sleeping area for all our clothes as well as beds etc. The vestibule is cavernous allowing us room to store all our bags, footwear etc leaving plenty of room for getting in and out and also the ability to cook under cover (very useful when we were camping in the Lake District with constant rain). Totally waterproof in very wet and windy conditions. Total weight including footprint (measured by me) exactly 3.0kg, compared to our Saunders Spacepaker Plus with footprint at 2.8kg. For an extra 200g the extra space and comfort is astounding. There is also a two man version but I wanted the extra space, headroom and two doors that the 2-3 man version offers. We've just had two weeks touring with it with pretty mixed weather. It is quicker to pitch than the Saunders as the inner tent remains attached to the outer. I cannot recommend this tent too highly. And at £180 it is a bargain. Edit: The Amazon link no longer works so I have linked to the Naturehike site. A number of good reviews on Youtube.

« Reply #1660 on: 24 August, 2021, 02:34:36 pm »
Link doesn’t work

« Reply #1661 on: 24 August, 2021, 03:53:25 pm »
We also bought a pair of Trekology UL80 air mats, along with the 30L pump sack. We have now used them for a long weekend away and two weeks away this summer. They are not the lightest air mats but certainly not heavy. They are incredibly comfortable. Certainly the most comfortable sleeping mat we have ever used, and we have been camping virtually every year for the last 30+ years. They also appear to be robust and where we have camped for two or three consecutive nights have not needed topping up. We also use Highlander reflective mats underneath to add protection and heat retention. These weigh next to nothing and the difference between the temperature of the tent groundsheet and the mats is remarkable. All in all very happy with this sleep system.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N4KK854/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://highlander-outdoor.com/uk_shop/reflective-camping-mat.html

« Reply #1662 on: 24 August, 2021, 03:57:05 pm »
Link doesn’t work
Thank you. I've edited my post.

« Reply #1663 on: 24 August, 2021, 04:23:36 pm »
Though I note it's only with a Schrader valve, despite bikepackers, it's natural market, almost entirely using Presta. Presumably this is because Schrader is better at handling the larger volumes of air needed, which makes me think it probably takes an awful lot of pumping. Especially if you, being a space-conscious bikepacker, have a mini-pump.

I have an air beam bivvy tent from 2012.  The beam does not need that much air. Mine uses a hand pump and it’s not that much effort and quick to inflate. But choice on Alpkit one of Schrader valve does seem weird.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1664 on: 24 August, 2021, 05:02:50 pm »
We also bought a pair of Trekology UL80 air mats, along with the 30L pump sack. We have now used them for a long weekend away and two weeks away this summer. They are not the lightest air mats but certainly not heavy. They are incredibly comfortable. Certainly the most comfortable sleeping mat we have ever used, and we have been camping virtually every year for the last 30+ years. They also appear to be robust and where we have camped for two or three consecutive nights have not needed topping up. We also use Highlander reflective mats underneath to add protection and heat retention. These weigh next to nothing and the difference between the temperature of the tent groundsheet and the mats is remarkable. All in all very happy with this sleep system.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N4KK854/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://highlander-outdoor.com/uk_shop/reflective-camping-mat.html

The daddy of the Trekology mats is the UL140.  Possibly the best nights sleep I've ever had in a tent.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1665 on: 24 August, 2021, 05:27:42 pm »

I have an air beam bivvy tent from 2012.  The beam does not need that much air. Mine uses a hand pump and it’s not that much effort and quick to inflate. But choice on Alpkit one of Schrader valve does seem weird.
Interesting. Just wondering if they come supplied with puncture repair kits?!!

« Reply #1666 on: 24 August, 2021, 05:59:42 pm »

Interesting. Just wondering if they come supplied with puncture repair kits?!!

Mine didn’t but they are pretty robust unless you walk over them with crampons. Air beam isn’t under your body weight and pressing against sharp things in the ground unlike a mat / air bed. The kits for air beds would work equally well on the air beam though.

« Reply #1667 on: 25 August, 2021, 02:11:03 am »
Though I note it's only with a Schrader valve, despite bikepackers, it's natural market, almost entirely using Presta. Presumably this is because Schrader is better at handling the larger volumes of air needed,
A combination of...
a) the main market for air beam tents in general is motorists, and they use schraeder.
b) a presta is pointy at the end, and could cause punctures or holes in the outer if you've lost the valve cap.
c) presta is more prone to failure (the valve nut stem snapping)

« Reply #1668 on: 25 August, 2021, 11:46:11 am »
Schrader > Presta.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1669 on: 25 August, 2021, 11:57:25 am »
Schrader > Presta.
Is that the campers' variant on my dad > your dad?  :D

« Reply #1670 on: 27 August, 2021, 01:26:10 pm »
Here’s my air beam tent. It’s not an Alpkit one.  I got this quite a few years ago.  But it shows you how compact they are when packed (sitting on rear bike rack). This is complete tent, pegs, and hand pump. As you can see shorter than rack length.  Mine weighs 632g (just checked on scales) including everything. Comparing to Alpkit it uses a lighter denier silnylon which has been fine in heavy rain. Perfect for lightweight cycle camping if solo. For two I’d get something bigger that you can split across two bikes.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1671 on: 27 August, 2021, 04:46:06 pm »
Inquiring minds want to know brand and model  ;) 

It won't beat the pack size of my Nordisk Lofoten (22x11cm!), but then it can be argued the Lofoten is just a very comfy bivvy with its 70cm height.

« Reply #1672 on: 27 August, 2021, 05:43:11 pm »
Inquiring minds want to know brand and model  ;) 

It won't beat the pack size of my Nordisk Lofoten (22x11cm!), but then it can be argued the Lofoten is just a very comfy bivvy with its 70cm height.

You’re right it doesn’t beat it. Just roughly measured as it currently packed and comes out at 21cm x 17cm.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1673 on: 27 August, 2021, 06:17:26 pm »
That's quite good. Can you get in without advanced yoga practice, and is the inner tall enough to sit up straight? The Lofoten fails on both points  ;D It's also rather awkward when it rains. Good when you just need a place to sleep instead of "really" camping though.

« Reply #1674 on: 27 August, 2021, 06:54:31 pm »
No, it’s not a tent you’d want to do much more than sleep in. It’s a feet first type entry.  You can kind of half sit-up . It does have a porch for stashing gear. Midge netting as well if dry and you want to watch the stars from your sleeping bag. Without getting bitten.

I tend to sit outside tents anyway till time for bed. A supplentary tarp for an evening cooking shelter might be worth it.  But what is camping without sitting in the rain in your waterproofs minding your stove?