Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331998 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #50 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
Some toys, flint, trangia fuel bottle, lightweight towel,  spork, and kfs (£1!)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #51 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »
Got a USB mini to micro adapter.  Which doesn't sound like camping gear, but means I can power my droid on the road. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #52 on: 22 January, 2011, 01:50:13 am »
My Rivendell Mountain Works "Mariposa" day pack arrived today. Not sure if it counts as camping gear, but the pack is just about big enough for an overnight trip if I pack carefully and use a summer-weight down sleeping bag. It also promises to be a good back for a day of rock climbing.
RIVENDELL MOUNTAIN WORKS - The Packs - New Packs - Mariposa

Cycling note: Grant Peterson chose the name "Rivendell Bicycle Works" as a tribute to the original "Rivendell Mountain Works", since he claimed to be influenced by their design philosophy.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #53 on: 22 January, 2011, 04:41:07 pm »
Bought a new softshell jacket in the sales (for boat use mainly though).

« Reply #54 on: 22 January, 2011, 04:51:42 pm »
A spork (green)

« Reply #55 on: 22 January, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »
I am beginning to wonder how anyone actually moves on a bike fully loaded for camping.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 22 January, 2011, 08:21:25 pm »
Slowly.

« Reply #57 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »
Bought some mess tins (not exactly military quality but they will do), an inflatable pillow,  a set of waterproof over trousers I will never use, and  an old fashioned widget for calculating distances from maps.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #58 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »
I am beginning to wonder how anyone actually moves on a bike fully loaded for camping.

There's one of these for every occasion...
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #59 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:13:34 pm »
Slowly.

Except when going down hill.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:24:51 pm »
YMMV, but I find camping gear does more to wreck the aerodynamics than the weight makes up for on the descents.  Probably my fault for having Altura panniers, though.

« Reply #61 on: 23 January, 2011, 09:21:58 am »
Well, you only need to go fast enough to reach the cafe for lunch and the campsite before they close, so it's fine :). And if you know the site, you don't even have to worry about the latter. (I've arrived at 12.30 am before!)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 23 January, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »
That works best if you can get your tent up in five minutes in the dark.

And you can :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #63 on: 29 January, 2011, 08:03:02 pm »
Bag liner (well its not exciting I know, but Rome wasn't built in a day) might buy a beginner tent tomorrow (like a kid in a sweet shop) nearly bought a MTB today a Trek hardtail bargain but SWMBO would have gone mad...... chuckle. Seriously wondering whether to get one of those Galaxies at SPA whilst they are going cheap having looked at renovation pricing.

« Reply #64 on: 06 February, 2011, 08:34:41 pm »
Bought a tent Coleman Bedrock for first foray into cycle camping we will see........

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nuTvjEKGWq0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nuTvjEKGWq0&rel=1</a>
  [/url]

« Reply #65 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:28:37 pm »
Ooh, new tent :thumbsup:

Have fun :D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #66 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:32:28 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a new tent. We want a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT. Not at all cheap, and there are some available for about £680. I'm hoping to find one at a discount or on Ebay.

Mrs. Wow and I already have the Vango Spirit 2, but we want just a little more space.

« Reply #67 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a new tent. We want a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT. Not at all cheap, and there are some available for about £680. I'm hoping to find one at a discount or on Ebay.

Mrs. Wow and I already have the Vango Spirit 2, but we want just a little more space.
They don't come up on ebay very often, sadly. And when they do, they often go for a sum that makes little sense when you could get one from a shop with a guarantee for not much more. :-\

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #68 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:43:38 pm »

They don't come up on ebay very often, sadly. And when they do, they often go for a sum that makes little sense when you could get one from a shop with a guarantee for not much more. :-\

That's what I thought. I won't need it until May, so I'll sit it out for a bit.

« Reply #69 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:16:11 pm »
Crikey I would have to be very convinced of the merits of camping before that level of expenditure. If I take to it would be time to get something better e.g.Terra Nova Competition  but light as they are they knock out around the £300 mark which is quite expensive thinks.

« Reply #70 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:50:09 pm »
If you keep an eye out, and have the financial reserves for an unanticipated expenditure there are bargains to be had- eg F&T had some Laser Comps for £140 some time in the middle of last year.
The thing is to have decided beforehand what you would get at what price - these offers don't generally last very long.
You could also sign up to an outdoor forum or two and keep an eye on the for sale sections.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #71 on: 07 February, 2011, 08:25:50 pm »
Field & Trek in Chelmsford had some tent bargains.  I was in there on Saturday.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #72 on: 07 February, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »
Spork++.

A replacement Snow Peak titanium spork for the one taken by the earwigs at Dunwich.  I still love the simplicity and solidity of the thing.  LMF are dire, some of the others too thin of stock, the others too fussy.  Zen spork good.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #73 on: 28 March, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »
Considering I have no money I have just purchased a Snugpack Softie 6 sleeping bag @ a cost of £80 +

I have loads of sleeping bags knocking about the place (£15 ones)

Question is am I mad ?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #74 on: 28 March, 2011, 10:42:09 pm »
Opps, not quite today, but a week ago Saturday we were in Snow and Rock getting some essential skiing gear, and noticed they had a Hilldeberg Rajd shelter going for half price (and it was a competitive £260 when full price. Just a shame it didn't qualify for our 10% discount too!) so we're now just looking for an opportunity to use it  :)

That is, once we've ensured we can successfully improvise some poles.