Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 1688891 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16550 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:18:40 am »

You've remnded me that I bought a mini CNC machine last year and have yet to use it play with it - but I have used the electric branding iron and custom brass stamp to mark some of the wooden items I've been making to sell (either "products" or bespoke commisions)

« Reply #16551 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:53:04 am »
I'm ever more considering getting one myself.

Though I'm spoiled with access to the work machine (that I'm learning to use almost entirely via YouTube and Google - I've only had one big crash!!)

It can take a sheet size of something like 1m x 0.8m.

But something I can fiddle with at home would be ace.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #16552 on: 15 January, 2022, 10:44:40 am »
I've used the work CNC router for a number of projects, but haven't done the YACF logo on it. I did laser 'brand' it onto leather for a leather saddlebag, mudflaps and a hip-flask, which can be seen on the 'Wobbly Workshop' thread.

Work bought a newer CNC machine, but it is not as useable as the old one, which they gave away to another school.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #16553 on: 15 January, 2022, 03:50:48 pm »
Trial fitted some red Restrap diagonal toe straps to an ancient pair of Raleigh 717 rat-traps.  All good, just need a few big M4 washers as they are designed for reflector holes on BMX pedals rather than rat-traps.  The cutouts on the 717 cages are, however, in just the right place.

These are for the (very slow) "proper" Moulton M4 resto, which really can't have SPDs.  It should have a Phillips pedal very similar to the 717, but I can't find any in halfway usable condition.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16554 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:35:27 pm »
Fettled the wonky leg of the wheelbarrow so that it didn't keep falling over. \o/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16555 on: 15 January, 2022, 07:00:24 pm »
Ceramics, epoxy resin, PVC, solder, heat-shrink.
It has been a multi-media kinda day.

« Reply #16556 on: 16 January, 2022, 07:27:56 am »
Not today, but yesterday. Washed bike, new chain, cleaned and regreased headset with excellent Morgan Blue Aquapaste.

Had issue with di2 rear mech not shifting properly mid-cassette. Noticed that jockey arm was not moving properly fore and aft and was sticking. Removed it and thoroughly cleaned and regreased the plate axle assembly. Noticed some pitting on axle so probably need to get a service kit soon. (about £13).  Doing this seems to have resolved problem.

Bartape on fixie was looking pretty shit so retaped. One side back, one side crazy NOS 1990s style tape I got for a quid. I think it looks pretty cool.

T42

• Patron saint of the dry joint
« Reply #16557 on: 16 January, 2022, 10:12:28 am »
Dashing away with a soldering iron I stole nobody's heart away, nor yet did I achieve anything else. :(
But they never got to Carcassonne.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16558 on: 16 January, 2022, 05:57:29 pm »
Washed my trike, my fixed and my Moulton.

Replaced the wornout front Pasela on my trike with a part-worn Pasela from the garage pile. Tweaked the cable slot on the Shimano 600 cantilever brake to make it easy to pop out the over-thick braided straddle cable.

Flintmined the Moulton’s tyres and swapped them front and back. Conti Contact Speed 406 are as tight a fit as any tyre I can remember, despite being on the wheels for a long time with a thin rim tape on one wheel and Veloplugs on the other. RIP one plastic tyre lever. I might try the Contact Urban next time but I won’t get these again.

The chain on the Moulton has gone past 0.75%, which is disappointing. I have been commuting on it while my fixed is off the road but not for very many months. The KMC 11EL is supposed to be reasonably durable but seems a bit shit to me. The pivots on the rear Red eTap mech are feeling sloppier than I like. Time to keep this bike ‘for best’, otherwise I will be grinding unobtanium parts into oblivion. Fitted a new Miche cassette. The 114 link KMC chains in the stockpile are too short for my Moulton, so a new chain ordered.

Swapped out the buckled dynowheel on my fixed for my Frezoni’s dynowheel. Revived the battery taillight and adjusted both cantilever brakes. It will need some new front pads in a while. Found a used Deda drop bar in the garage parts pile and some cheap handlebar tape to swap out the bent handlebars tomorrow evening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16559 on: 16 January, 2022, 08:16:12 pm »
Had a quick go stripping the dodgy paint from my new disc fork prior to painting. The brass brushes I'd got seems like they were being a bit vigourous so I'll swithc to sanding I think.

Reset the spacers to get the motor wheel back on the current fork on the folder.

And thought the brake was sticking but I think it was the pad catching on the rim so I stuck new pads on (after I'd removed the brake and fiddled with springs and cables). Quick test ride up and down the road and it seems ok now.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1