Author Topic: Spelling that makes you cringe  (Read 172477 times)

ian

Re: Spelling that makes you cringe
« Reply #925 on: 29 September, 2020, 05:47:44 pm »
I can't proofread because my brain corrects mistakes. So omitted words are filled in, spelling is corrected, and more egregious errors effectively sanitized before my mind lets them in. Basically my brain sees what it wants to see, not what is written in front of my eyes.

Unfortunately, this same process of semasiological sanitation happens for my own words.

I'd be the world's worse proofreader which probably explains my very short* tenure in the sub-basement of sub-editorship (I was good at headlines and captions though).

The only vague solution I have for this problem is to make the computer read things back to me, for some reason the process doesn't impact the text when spoken.

There's probably a medical definition for this. I figure that at this point everyone is the first world is either 'gluten intolerant', 'a bit dyslexic' or 'somewhere on the autistic spectrum.' I demand my own distinct pathology.

*see, edited to add this, this word was totally omitted the first time, but my brain wrote it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #926 on: 29 September, 2020, 05:51:30 pm »
I've been dealing with medical terminology today. Quite a lot of it I'm familiar with already and the rest of it, chiefly names of pharmaceuticals, can be found with google. But "sub-QPCSK9s" had me foxed. I know what PCSK9s are, though obviously I don't know how they work, but "sub-QPCSK9s"? Eventually I worked out from context it was "sub-cu" or is that "sub-cue"? I wasn't sure how to spell the abbreviation – for all I know medics do write it "sub-Q" – so I spelt it out in full, sub-cutaneous. Bloody jargon.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #927 on: 29 September, 2020, 06:11:16 pm »
I can't proofread because my brain corrects mistakes. So omitted words are filled in, spelling is corrected, and more egregious errors effectively sanitized before my mind lets them in. Basically my brain sees what it wants to see, not what is written in front of my eyes.

Unfortunately, this same process of semasiological sanitation happens for my own words.

I'd be the world's worse proofreader which probably explains my very short* tenure in the sub-basement of sub-editorship (I was good at headlines and captions though).

The only vague solution I have for this problem is to make the computer read things back to me, for some reason the process doesn't impact the text when spoken.

There's probably a medical definition for this. I figure that at this point everyone is the first world is either 'gluten intolerant', 'a bit dyslexic' or 'somewhere on the autistic spectrum.' I demand my own distinct pathology.

*see, edited to add this, this word was totally omitted the first time, but my brain wrote it.

OK, from the day after I lead the Panzers down Whitehall, it shall be ”ianic”.  And not ”Itanic”, because that’s something else entirely.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #928 on: 29 September, 2020, 06:28:05 pm »
Basically my brain sees what it wants to see, not what is written in front of my eyes.

Everyone does that, it's normal. That's how things like the "Paris in the/the springtime" trick work. It's actually a sign that your brain is working as it should, not the opposite.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #929 on: 29 September, 2020, 07:08:08 pm »
When I was teaching Maths to FE students, I used to use the

PARIS IN THE
THE SPRINGTIME

trick to get my students to understand the importance of forensically checking everything that they'd actually written, rather than what they thought they'd written.  Getting them to read and mark each other's work was something of an eye-opener for many of them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #930 on: 29 September, 2020, 07:32:42 pm »
I have that one and a couple of others in a couple of trainings wot I haz delivered.

Surprising how many well edumacated people miss these things.

My main issue these days is my ability to consistently trype adn, teh, fro, and lately emissisons.  The latter being particularly peeving when working in climate change
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #931 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:24:09 am »
ElyDave, mine is 'environemnt'. I can see it is obviously wrong when I read it, but my right hand seem unable to move from n to m quicker than my left hand shoves the e in. Also 'Jamsine' when signing off emails.

citoyen

« Reply #932 on: 30 September, 2020, 10:02:30 am »

PARIS IN THE
THE SPRINGTIME

trick to get my students to understand the importance of forensically checking everything that they'd actually written, rather than what they thought they'd written.  Getting them to read and mark each other's work was something of an eye-opener for many of them.

It highlights the fact that reading and proofreading are two very different activities.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #933 on: 30 September, 2020, 10:12:23 am »
My main issue these days is my ability to consistently trype adn, teh, fro,

This, in spades. I don't really understand how my brain has learnt ones like those and won't unlearn them.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #934 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:26:55 am »
ElyDave, mine is 'environemnt'. I can see it is obviously wrong when I read it, but my right hand seem unable to move from n to m quicker than my left hand shoves the e in. Also 'Jamsine' when signing off emails.
'exsiting' for me

ian

« Reply #935 on: 30 September, 2020, 12:59:17 pm »
Basically my brain sees what it wants to see, not what is written in front of my eyes.

Everyone does that, it's normal. That's how things like the "Paris in the/the springtime" trick work. It's actually a sign that your brain is working as it should, not the opposite.

But I want to be special. I want to be a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #936 on: 30 September, 2020, 01:20:51 pm »

I believe the thing these days is to be either a "more" or "very" unique snowflake.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #937 on: 30 September, 2020, 02:35:32 pm »

I believe the thing these days is to be either a "more" or "very" unique snowflake.
I'm a very special snowflake- every glaring error I've typo'd shouts out at me. As soon as I've hit send.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #938 on: 30 September, 2020, 04:18:48 pm »
"A clash of political, military and economic etiologies."
Not just an isolated slip, it's come up twice in one paragraph. I think it's a case of "I found this word and it sounds really impressive but it doesn't mean quite what I think it means."

citoyen

« Reply #939 on: 30 September, 2020, 08:30:52 pm »
Not just an isolated slip, it's come up twice in one paragraph. I think it's a case of "I found this word and it sounds really impressive but it doesn't mean quite what I think it means."
???

I suspect what the author thinks it means isn’t even remotely close to its actual meaning.

« Reply #940 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:38:42 pm »
Etymologies ?  Entomologies?  I have no idea what the writer is trying to convey there.

Ideologies ?
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #941 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:41:41 pm »
Etymologies ?  Entomologies?  I have no idea what the writer is trying to convey there.

Ideologies ?
Ideologies would be my guess.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #942 on: 30 September, 2020, 10:04:03 pm »

Ideologies ?

Idiocies?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #943 on: 01 October, 2020, 07:40:09 am »

"...but if I get enough people who are as ignorant as I am to copy me it'll come to mean what I want it to."
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #944 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:41:32 am »

PARIS IN THE
THE SPRINGTIME

I wouldn't read that as "Paris in the springtime" but neither would I have identified it as an error. To me it looks like two separate, incomplete phrases or sentences. Perhaps "Paris in the [year 1887 was thronged with visitors admiring the new Eiffel Tower.] The springtime [was cold and wet, with a raw north wind, but still they came in their thousands.]" If it was written on the board in a maths lesson, I'd most of all be wondering what it had to do with maths!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #945 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:33:17 am »

PARIS IN THE
THE SPRINGTIME

I wouldn't read that as "Paris in the springtime" but neither would I have identified it as an error. To me it looks like two separate, incomplete phrases or sentences. Perhaps "Paris in the [year 1887 was thronged with visitors admiring the new Eiffel Tower.] The springtime [was cold and wet, with a raw north wind, but still they came in their thousands.]" If it was written on the board in a maths lesson, I'd most of all be wondering what it had to do with maths!

For starters, the two THEs cancel each other out, leaving PARIS IN over SPRINGTIME.
Not much clearer, but then again, maths was never my favourite subject.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

ian

« Reply #947 on: 02 October, 2020, 04:46:55 pm »
Version control, I expect...

In other news, I have failed to type shibolleth shibble shibbleleth shibbolith shibboleth correctly all week. And you have no bloody idea how many times I've had to write that word this week.

« Reply #948 on: 02 October, 2020, 05:43:54 pm »
Version control, I expect...

In other news, I have failed to type shibolleth shibble shibbleleth shibbolith shibboleth correctly all week. And you have no bloody idea how many times I've had to write that word this week.

'not-Athens'?

ian

« Reply #949 on: 02 October, 2020, 05:59:10 pm »
That's the one. Welcome to my interesting week.