Author Topic: Best reply?  (Read 8435 times)

Re: Best reply?
« Reply #25 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:51:30 am »
Nope I don't have a sence of humour. I'm boring :(

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #26 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:00:30 am »
No comments were directed at 1gear until he started the kicking contest.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #27 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:03:40 am »
Firstly, don't call me a kid.
Secondly, I don't drink alcohol. I don't piss my money into a toilet.

I see you waste your money on something you piss down the toilet, I waste my money on something that lasts abit longer.

Sorry, but from our aged perspective, you're a kid. Don't worry, you grow out of it, and then you spend all your time scoffing at the youth of today yourself. We all get a turn at it.

With regard to the post above about "Would the boyfriend do the same for her, making meals etc?"..

My boyrfriend sent me that link the other day, saying he reckoned I was already the kind of girl who'd muck in and support, and that made him very lucky. He also pointed out that he'd do the same back. That's the important bit. I hate it when I see people posting about how their other half doesn't let them do stuff, I end up wondering why some couples are still together when they appear to be unable to give and take - and that works both ways.

Yeah, I thought the post was funny myself, if a little on the edge of rude- bearing in mind that the OP was new and apparently genuinely seeking advice.  Maybe it was the sor tof thing better saved for rough and tumble debate between people who know each other. But it did miss the vital insight that it's a two way process.

Also, if it's his money he's pouring into it, fair enough. In the situation of a couple living together, with a budget and kids etc, or if the guy was getting into debt, then there does come a time when priorities need to be considered.

By the way, just asking, but how DO you screw someone's ears off?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:03:58 am »
Persdnally(and I'm not sure if you know this) I and other people are quite happy spending money on cars, bikes and whatever else they like.

That's because you are a kid, and don't yet have those things called 'responsibilities'; ie, other people to think of.

Enjoy yourself now, make the most of it.

Edit:
I lie, partly. I spend pretty much what I like on booze. Until I can't afford it. Good thing there's so much left over after xmas.

We were all young once, lighten up .
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #29 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:08:46 am »
Nope I don't have a sence of humour. I'm boring :(

Evidently not - my response was entirely tongue-in-cheek!  ;D

(I hate having to explain my own jokes...)

« Reply #30 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:17:01 am »
Persdnally(and I'm not sure if you know this) I and other people are quite happy spending money on cars, bikes and whatever else they like.

That's because you are a kid, and don't yet have those things called 'responsibilities'; ie, other people to think of.

Enjoy yourself now, make the most of it.

Edit:
I lie, partly. I spend pretty much what I like on booze. Until I can't afford it. Good thing there's so much left over after xmas.

We were all young once, lighten up .

I'd just like to point out that I didn't 'have a go' at 1gear until after he posted this to me:

Hello? Is there a sence of any humour here?
So what it was thought the OP was a woman. Can you not just see the post as abit of a joke?
Do you not have a sence of humour, or do you just look too deep into everything? Deeper then you need to go?
But actually, just take offence.

I can call 1gear a kid because I have children 10 years older than him. Or maybe just because it's a semi-affectionate way of addressing someone younger (or acting younger) than myself.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #31 on: 13 January, 2011, 10:18:42 am »
Sence of Humour?  A sence of spelling would be a good start.

On the subject of the reply....LIGHTEN UP everyone.  It's just a humorous reply.

A question like that deseves a humorous reply.

If you seek answers to personal relationship problems on a globally accessible forum then you need a wake-up call like that.

« Reply #32 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:18:53 am »
I can call 1gear a kid because I have children 10 years older than him. Or maybe just because it's a semi-affectionate way of addressing someone younger (or acting younger) than myself.

<newsflash for grandads>
Calling a teenager a 'kid' is likely to be perceived as patronising or insulting.  It may not be the best way to enhance a discussion.  Even if "he started it".
</newsflash>

I thought it was funny, if OTT.  More to the point, since there was no information provided about the actual problem, there was bugger all else for anybody knowledgeable about jeeps to say.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #33 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:21:18 am »

I think bobb knows.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:33:44 am »
the left lobe has O.H.T.

« Reply #35 on: 13 January, 2011, 11:54:37 am »

<newsflash for grandads>
Calling a teenager a 'kid' is likely to be perceived as patronising or insulting.  It may not be the best way to enhance a discussion.  Even if "he started it".
</newsflash>

Oi! Who are you calling grandad?  :P
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #36 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:06:08 pm »
 ;D

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »
I'm with Lee on this one.

The main points are:
1. Can anyone seriously not spell sense?
2. The reply was very funny and thanks to 1gear for linking to it. It's one of the very few posts I have shown my wife, and she was in hysterics (well ok she was laughing).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:22:38 pm »

Good question.  Prosthetic ears tend to have a snap-fit coupling.

FWIW, I thought the post was funny, and sufficiently OTT to be reasonably certain that the intent was humorous.  At the end of the day, if you're going to venture onto the internet without wielding Hanlon's Razor, you deserve what you get.

« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »
I suppose if they didn't, then they'd need to be left/right threaded, like bottom brackets.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:27:42 pm »
I suppose if they didn't, then they'd need to be left/right threaded, like bottom brackets.

Only if your ears need to rotate like cranks.  I suspect most people don't have that need....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »
Indeed, the snap couplings are held on by standard right-hand threaded fiddly torx head bolts, if the ones on barakta (for sound processors hearing aids, not ears) are anything to go by.  Impressively they don't tend to work loose, unless they're poorly fitted in the first place or you're in the habit of playing rugball or something.  It's all rather clever, really.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:36:57 pm »
FWIW, I thought the post was funny, and sufficiently OTT to be reasonably certain that the intent was humorous.  At the end of the day, if you're going to venture onto the internet without wielding Hanlon's Razor, hair swept back in a pony tail, you deserve what you get.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:39:28 pm »
The Jeep forum reply was so obviously massively over the top that it was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Butbutbut, the Jeep forum is clearly USAnian, where they don't have irony...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #44 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:44:28 pm »
The Jeep forum reply was so obviously massively over the top that it was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Butbutbut, the Jeep forum is clearly USAnian, where they don't have irony...

I am sure you can import irony unlike smelly cheese.
Chief cat entertainer.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 13 January, 2011, 02:04:45 pm »
Or Kinder eggs...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #46 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:23:15 pm »

Good question.  Prosthetic ears tend to have a snap-fit coupling.

FWIW, I thought the post was funny, and sufficiently OTT to be reasonably certain that the intent was humorous.  At the end of the day, if you're going to venture onto the internet without wielding Hanlon's Razor, you deserve what you get.

I think it fell flat for me because I actually have the misfortune of having to deal with someone who *actually* thinks like that.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #47 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »
Yeahbut somewhere in the blogosphere will be an equally over-the-top, polarised  and stereotypical rant by a woman about how her husband never does anything except fix his jeep, never buys her flowers, doesn't clean up after himself, takes her for granted, never listens to what she says, pisses on the toilet seat which never gets put back down again when he does remember to lift it yadda yadda, and that would be funny too.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #48 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:29:16 pm »
Yeahbut somewhere in the blogosphere will be an equally over-the-top, polarised  and stereotypical rant by a woman about how her husband never does anything except fix his jeep, never buys her flowers, doesn't clean up after himself, takes her for granted, never listens to what she says, pisses on the toilet seat which never gets put back down again when he does remember to lift it yadda yadda, and that would be funny too.

It probably would ;D

That's the thing about humour, so bloody unpredictable!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #49 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:37:53 pm »
I'm with Lee on this one.

The main points are:
1. Can anyone seriously not spell sense?
2. The reply was very funny and thanks to 1gear for linking to it. It's one of the very few posts I have shown my wife, and she was in hysterics (well ok she was laughing).

Why all this fuss about no scents of humour?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird