Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 393734 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1350 on: 13 April, 2022, 08:05:13 pm »
I know this is covered elsewhere - but I'll be buggered if I can find it with forum search: I'm planning my first DIY's but my circumstances mean they will tend to be short notice. What is considered good form in terms of giving notice to the DIY organisers? Is 2 days too little? I'm using Paul Stewart (inside M25).

« Reply #1351 on: 13 April, 2022, 08:21:42 pm »
Blimey. I just enter the night before, unless you need the org to check the controls meet the minimum distance (for an advisory route).

« Reply #1352 on: 13 April, 2022, 08:29:25 pm »
Awesome - thanks Deano. I shall stop being considerate  ;D

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1353 on: 13 April, 2022, 11:35:28 pm »
In the past it's been enough to sort it out with the org by agreeing the route and paying the few quid to enter, and send a text message from the end of my drive saying I'm about to ride it. This meant i could sort it out at leisure and wait for good weather!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #1354 on: 14 April, 2022, 03:34:01 pm »
For my mandatory route DIYs, I usually enter the night before too, but once or twice have entered on the day - I think it's considered fine to do this, so long as you get the entry in before setting off (happy to be corrected if this isn't good practice). There's a good chance that the DIY Org might not get to process your entry until a few days later, but so long as the track you submit starts after you submit the DIY entry you should be good I think.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1355 on: 14 April, 2022, 05:02:35 pm »
Think it varies by diy org, if in do it, check.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #1356 on: 08 May, 2022, 08:24:41 pm »
My understanding is that DIY organisers will tend only to look at entries after an event has been ridden and suitable POP has been provided (typically gps based)

DIY organisers arent under an obligation to vouch for / verify that proposed routes meet minimum distance and if they did so in advance for riders who end up as DNS or DNF is a waste of their time. 

Therefore very little notice is no big deal. 

Anecdotally I believe that their is a correlation between DIY DNS and how far in advance entries are submitted. 

Therefore it would appear to be wise to submit an entry just before setting off.  No need to send it in a week ahead, the organiser isnt doing anything with it and you might change your mind.

« Reply #1357 on: 20 May, 2022, 09:42:56 am »
Trying to enter an ECE for an event tonight (10 pm), but the link on the calendar page says it's in the past and it won't let me enter... Is there any way to enter by email? Fishing about the FAQs, the only alternative is to enter by post.

I will have an email for Martin, but it's probably out of date.

« Reply #1358 on: 20 May, 2022, 09:47:47 am »
Search for Martin’s name in the permanents list.  You want ECER01 (if ECE is 100km) assuming calendar event is 200km or more.  In other words enter the ECE same as though you were ECEing a perm. Then let Martin know which calendar event it’s for.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1359 on: 20 May, 2022, 09:56:32 am »
Trying to enter an ECE for an event tonight (10 pm), but the link on the calendar page says it's in the past and it won't let me enter...

We will take a look at that and see what logic is being used on the event details page. Not sure whether the problem is in the data coming from the aukweb database or the way it's being used on audax.uk, or even a combination.

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #1360 on: 20 May, 2022, 10:06:44 am »
Trying to enter an ECE for an event tonight (10 pm), but the link on the calendar page says it's in the past and it won't let me enter... Is there any way to enter by email? Fishing about the FAQs, the only alternative is to enter by post.

I will have an email for Martin, but it's probably out of date.

it shouldn't be!

yes someone else reported something similar (it said they hadn't entered the calendar event which they had) just tried the event myself and got the same error. Try entering the old school way using these links and email me the GPX if required

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=1376

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=1379

(that's for the 100+100 and 300+100 but if you search Malins in the perms you should find the one you need)

Martin  :)

« Reply #1361 on: 20 May, 2022, 10:14:38 am »
Thanks everyone!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1362 on: 22 May, 2022, 11:40:25 pm »
Trying to enter an ECE for an event tonight (10 pm), but the link on the calendar page says it's in the past and it won't let me enter...

We will take a look at that and see what logic is being used on the event details page. Not sure whether the problem is in the data coming from the aukweb database or the way it's being used on audax.uk, or even a combination.
That restriction has been changed on the test system so that an ECE can be entered on the day, and should be pushed to production in the next few days. No changes made to the calendar event itself - that is still restricted to before the event date (unless the event closes earlier), but would need to consult more widely on that one.

« Reply #1363 on: 11 September, 2022, 10:36:26 pm »
I think I have completed an SR series but it hasn't automatically appeared on my dashboard. I completed the 600 last weekend as a 200ECE on a 400 calendar event. Both are now showing as validated but my randonneur series is still showing "Randonneur 1000". I'm hoping I haven't misunderstood the rules and the at the ECE does indeed qualify me for an SR series. Do I need to put a claim in for the SR and if so who to?

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #1364 on: 15 September, 2022, 10:15:19 am »
I think I have completed an SR series but it hasn't automatically appeared on my dashboard. I completed the 600 last weekend as a 200ECE on a 400 calendar event. Both are now showing as validated but my randonneur series is still showing "Randonneur 1000". I'm hoping I haven't misunderstood the rules and the at the ECE does indeed qualify me for an SR series. Do I need to put a claim in for the SR and if so who to?

The ECE FAQs do say "For SR claims you may need to contact the AUK Recorder if the ECE does not automatically get picked up."

https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/extended-calendar-events-eces/ece-faqs/

« Reply #1365 on: 15 September, 2022, 03:53:06 pm »
Thanks. I had read through that page and somehow missed the one sentence I was looking for.

« Reply #1366 on: 07 October, 2022, 02:50:09 pm »
Is it common to not respond to the emails they getting at their published email address on audax co uk ?
Sent emails, and no response for days. Finally sent a message via Whatsapp,after getting the phone number.

My latest question is will I get the locations on the info controls before the ride?

Quote:

--------------------
Hi Peter,

I would like to register at your Porkers 400  audax (30 Apr 2023), but
first I would like to know if I register, will I get the locations(GPS
coordiantes, or postcodes) of the 6 information controls ? And not on
the day of the ride on the brevet card, but straight after I pay the
reg.fee. Is that possible? I'm not asking for the questions, but just
the locations where I have to go to find out the answers.
--------------------

« Reply #1367 on: 07 October, 2022, 03:22:51 pm »
You can get them now,  the copy of the route is on the organisers website linked from the auk site.  It is at the bottom of the middle column where it says route and beside that is pdf route card that includes the controls.

https://www.wessexsr.org.uk/Porkers.html

Good luck with the ride.

« Reply #1368 on: 07 October, 2022, 03:29:44 pm »
You can get them now(...)

Hi Timb,

I do not want the GPX file. I want the locations. I plan the route(gpx) myself, and I'm not using the provided GPX as it's not mandatory. I'm not going on the little lanes, gravel roads,  cycle paths, and so on. If it's not a motorway, or a dual carriage way I'll go on it.

That ride was just an example. I want to know that are organizers willing to tell me the coordinates,or nearest postcodes of the information controls? (not on the brevet card on the day of the event) They publish the other controls where you have to get a receipt, but nothing about the info control locations.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1369 on: 07 October, 2022, 03:33:02 pm »
You don’t know the history and philosophy of the Wessex series, do you?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1370 on: 08 October, 2022, 01:34:03 pm »
I do not want the GPX file. I want the locations.
The PDF says where they are.

« Reply #1371 on: 08 October, 2022, 01:47:43 pm »
I like to be well prepared, but that's over six months away! I wouldn't assume it's going to be identical to this year's route, or even that it's been finalised. I would assume, for now art least, that the organiser has received the email and will respond in due course.

« Reply #1372 on: 08 October, 2022, 03:33:00 pm »
The question you should be asking is “Is it appropriate to ask organisers to go to special
efforts to help those who don’t plan to stick to the route?”

To which the answer is (in my opinion) no.

« Reply #1373 on: 08 October, 2022, 07:07:37 pm »
The PDF says where they are.

Can not understand the PDF. That is gibberish to me. 7123 th. turn and figure it out where it is. Can not do it.

« Reply #1374 on: 08 October, 2022, 07:09:25 pm »
that's over six months away

That Audax was just an example. I mentioned this in my comment above. That is one of organizers who did not respond to my email.