Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389919 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2825 on: 22 October, 2021, 06:01:46 pm »
Thank you  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2826 on: 22 October, 2021, 08:41:40 pm »
Congrats Ruthie, I'm in awe of any NHS worker doing a degree as well as NHS work this last 19 months! So you're now Brilliantly Scientific!

I'm sorry your brother couldn't come to your graduation and celebration. That's frustrating.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2827 on: 22 October, 2021, 10:24:05 pm »
Ooh congratulations.  And yes, what barakta said.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2828 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:10:45 am »
Congratulations Ruthie.

Getting bachelored is difficult enough in ‘normal’ times, doing it in the Covid epoch makes you a bona fide double hard bastard. Bloody well done!

« Reply #2829 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:57:21 am »
Bicyclist of Superior Cleverness  :thumbsup:     Congratulations Ruthie. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2830 on: 23 October, 2021, 11:44:58 am »
Congratulations ruthie  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2831 on: 23 October, 2021, 12:22:29 pm »
This is making me feel better! I miss my brother for sure, but it’s going to be a celebration.!
Thank you, cycling chums  :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2832 on: 23 October, 2021, 12:29:42 pm »
Congratulations Ruthie

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2833 on: 25 October, 2021, 03:12:36 pm »
Congrats!   Hopefully you'll get to graduate formally before the government are forced to lockdown again...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2834 on: 26 October, 2021, 07:55:53 pm »
Thank you  :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2835 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:42:33 am »
I had an email this morning informing me that I had an online message from HMRC so would I please log on to have a look at it. I did, and to my complete surprise they thought I owed them over £1300. This was news to me: it was all in penalties for not filing a tax return last year. Another part of their website has a questionnaire - that you can only see when you are logged in - which assesses whether you need to fill in a tax return or not. Mine says I don't. Furthermore, on my last tax return, submitted in January 2019, we stated that we had wound up our partnership on 31/8/2018.

I've just phoned HMRC and after a bit of a wait, all the penalties have been cancelled.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2836 on: 12 November, 2021, 01:07:51 pm »
BN: On my way home from a work trip yesterday I was phoned by my water supplier to say that the water meter is spinning and to request a customer side leakage visit.
GN: on getting home the building is still standing, there are no damp patches and the toilets are not overflowing to waste.

BN: this means that the leak is probably in the buried pipe between the external stop tap and the building.

« Reply #2837 on: 12 November, 2021, 01:53:29 pm »
BN: On my way home from a work trip yesterday I was phoned by my water supplier to say that the water meter is spinning and to request a customer side leakage visit.
GN: on getting home the building is still standing, there are no damp patches and the toilets are not overflowing to waste.

BN: this means that the leak is probably in the buried pipe between the external stop tap and the building.
My wife's church just had this.  They found a leak in cast iron pipework thought to date to 1899 ish under a load of flagstones.

If you know anything about the church of England you will know the fun that caused!  We were told they problem would be getting matching cast iron to replace the section.

Actually there were real problems getting someone with enough expertise to be willing to even touch such old pipework

« Reply #2838 on: 12 November, 2021, 02:11:44 pm »

My wife's church just had this.  They found a leak in cast iron pipework thought to date to 1899 ish under a load of flagstones.

If you know anything about the church of England you will know the fun that caused!  We were told they problem would be getting matching cast iron to replace the section.

Actually there were real problems getting someone with enough expertise to be willing to even touch such old pipework

Having been a facilities lead on a PCC I fully understand those complexities.  :o

Personally as someone in the water industry I would have looked a either slip lining that cast iron pipe with PE (put a plastic pipe inside the cast iron) or if that would have made the pipe too small then use a pipe bursting replacement technique to minimise the digging in the church.

« Reply #2839 on: 13 November, 2021, 04:42:19 pm »

Having been a facilities lead on a PCC I fully understand those complexities.  :o

Personally as someone in the water industry I would have looked a either slip lining that cast iron pipe with PE (put a plastic pipe inside the cast iron) or if that would have made the pipe too small then use a pipe bursting replacement technique to minimise the digging in the church.

I try not to get involved too much but there is a little bit of telling the vicar's husband because he is a man and will understand.  I can also feedback a bit more of what the wardens, etc are thinking but do not quite want to say.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2840 on: 13 November, 2021, 05:07:31 pm »
Slip lining has recently been used to replace the entire water mains for Bristol. Apparently the reduced bore is not (in this case) a problem, thanks in part to the reduced friction of plastic pipes compared to cast iron. Though this is presumably a simplified version of the reality, produced for consumption of the general public.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2841 on: 13 November, 2021, 11:13:42 pm »
Serving on a PCC is a non-stop firefighting exercise in shoring up a money pit of a building.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2842 on: 15 November, 2021, 01:05:22 pm »
Slip lining has recently been used to replace the entire water mains for Bristol. Apparently the reduced bore is not (in this case) a problem, thanks in part to the reduced friction of plastic pipes compared to cast iron. Though this is presumably a simplified version of the reality, produced for consumption of the general public.

No that's pretty much spot on, an old cast Iron pipe will either have a lot of rust or a cement lining which makes the surface rough while a new plastic pipe will be smooth. The effect of this is to reduce the friction losses as the water flows along the pipe so that the same pressure generates the same flow through a smaller cross section. Just don't think about 50 years time and when a limescale deposit has built up in the plastic pipe.  ;)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2843 on: 01 December, 2021, 04:49:38 pm »
GN: I’ve managed to find a local dentist who is taking on new patients, after our new dentist very inconsiderately went and died 18months after taking over from our now retired dentist. This has the added bonus of getting me in the good books of Dr Beardy (Mrs) because, obviously, it’s all my fault.

BN: They aren’t booking appointments until next April! This will carry the added weight of getting me in the bad books of Dr Beardy (Mrs) because , obviously, it’s all my fault.

Moar BN: This is a private practice and the first appointment fee is £150 each.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2844 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:35:09 pm »
GN: our chimney sheep has arrived

BN: this means I need to grub about in the flue opening to remove the build up of grot there before I position the sheep.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2845 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:36:16 pm »

BN: this means I need to grub about in the flue opening to remove the build up of grot there before I position the sheep.

Baa humbug?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2846 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:46:38 pm »
 ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2847 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:47:38 pm »

Shirley you need the sweep before the sheep?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2848 on: 01 December, 2021, 09:30:27 pm »

No that's pretty much spot on, an old cast Iron pipe will either have a lot of rust or a cement lining which makes the surface rough while a new plastic pipe will be smooth. The effect of this is to reduce the friction losses as the water flows along the pipe so that the same pressure generates the same flow through a smaller cross section. Just don't think about 50 years time and when a limescale deposit has built up in the plastic pipe.  ;)

Pretty much the same with gas mains replacement, live insertion, electrofusion joints on PE pipe, only no limescale. You can up the pressure to account for the reduced bore.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2849 on: 01 December, 2021, 10:17:29 pm »
When slip linings are put into old water and gas mains, how are the connections to premises dealt with, and made water/gas tight?