Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576248 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13950 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:25:32 pm »
That’s a bit like my iPhone 13 having a Lightening socket when they have moved tablets and laptops over to usb C.

Mind ewe, of my furious headphones and ear buds (6 Bluetooth sets in current use) no two have the same charging connection, on usb a male, one micro usb, one usb C and three bespoke. One of the bespoke connections did however come with two charging cables.

Sort of thing that makes you really appreciate the 3.5mm analogue headphone jack[1].

[1] Not that these are completely immune to fuckery.  Barakta can't connect her Cochlear streamer thingy to her phone because it makes silly assumptions about 4-pole jacks and headphone impedence.  Naturally her BAHA can't speak Bluetooth to the phone directly, because it's a legal requirement that BAHAs lag about 10 years behind current hearing aid technology, and also because it's The Devil's Other Radio and therefore wouldn't work properly anyway.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13951 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:32:14 pm »
Did I just see TV's Louise Lear presenting the BBC's national weather forecast while wearing trackie bottoms :o. Lord Reith will be turning in his grave!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13952 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:06:47 pm »
It’s children in need on the BBC this evening which pretty much means all rules are out of the window. It’s the most appalling behaviour.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13953 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:19:58 pm »
Beardy, I have taken a dislike to you. I had forgotten all about Children in Need until you mentioned it. Post some mind bleach please!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13954 on: 20 November, 2021, 01:13:38 am »
I would have used the off switch after our Apple TV+ fest of Foundation and Invasion but Dr Beardy (Mrs) turned it over to Goghlebox (to which she is addicted) and I got sucked in.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13955 on: 20 November, 2021, 11:58:10 am »
I have discovered a small hole in the seat of my jeans. Arse. Literally.
The hole is on the left buttock so that makes it, in Bristolian terms, a Knowle West (sorry).

The problem now is should I buy a new pair of jeans or should I pretend that I'm still young enough to wear non-jean trousers, and if so what? Or maybe I should patch them, after all everything seems to be going back to the 1970s.
Right on cue: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/nov/20/are-the-2020s-really-like-living-back-in-the-1970s-i-wish-
I'm going to swap my jeans for a flowing floral midi dress!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

« Reply #13957 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:43:03 pm »
Of for an “Afghan” coat. On a school cruise in the Med, we visited Istanbul. Some brave souls bought “Afghan” coats. Sadly the blow fly eggs on the improperly tanned leather hatched in the dormitories.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13958 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:51:53 pm »
None of the 20-odd Afghans I met a month or so ago was wearing an Afghan coat. But it is now 2021 not 1971. Come to that, none of them was wearing a "flowing floral midi dress" either!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13959 on: 22 November, 2021, 08:29:42 pm »
Has anyone tried buy a torch recently. I’m not looking for anything fancy, I don’t want a light sabre, I doesn’t need to be waterproof to 10 bar (mores the pity) it doesn’t need to light up half of Suffolk. I just want a rugged torch I can keep in the kitchen draw that will work when it needs to and is powerful enough to reach the end of the garden. (About 50m).

It’s a bloody minefield. There are actually web retailers, multiple, who sell nothing but torches. I’m going for a lie down.

« Reply #13960 on: 22 November, 2021, 08:37:29 pm »
My luvverly Revo Supersignal radio is playing up.   It still works, but the alarm function hasn't been waking me up & when I go to try & reset the times it says "not saved"  ???     I may need to try the "Factory Reset" button.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13961 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:31:33 pm »
My luvverly Revo Supersignal radio is playing up.   It still works, but the alarm function hasn't been waking me up & when I go to try & reset the times it says "not saved"  ???     I may need to try the "Factory Reset" button.

Has it got some sort of clock backup flattery that might be batt?

« Reply #13962 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:56:06 pm »
Gah! I'm fed up of arguing the toss with students over whether they need to wear their labcoats (they do). Or whether I have to kick them out of the workshop when I go home and not let them work till security come round to lock the building up properly (I do).

All because the main tech for the area doesn't enforce said rules. So the students are (rightly) annoyed at the mixed instructions. "But X doesn't make us." Which, yeah sure, but I've been told that I must apply these rules so...

This is a department I only help out in as well. I got voluntold to be workshop cover for the main tech who only works Tues-Fri. And when this started (a couple years ago) I had a discussion with him saying that I don't wanna be standing there looking like a idiot saying one thing whilst he says another so can we just stick to the same page? Knowing he has previous form for just not enforcing things. To which he agreed. That lasted all of two weeks.

And he wants me to help him out on the days he's in but too busy to do it all himself. Well I can't do that without completely losing my stick to the rule thing I do on Mondays. Unless I run round enforcing things whilst he's saying it's not a problem.

He's a nice enough guy to chat to but by God he's an awful cow-orker.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #13963 on: 22 November, 2021, 10:13:22 pm »

Has it got some sort of clock backup flattery that might be batt?

Not to my knowledge, it’s a mains powered unit. The factory reset didn’t do much.  It scans OK for DAB stations but doesn’t for FM, manual scanning works (and it’s only used for R3 anyway) but it’s not waking me up!

They used to be made in Scotland but were taken over by a German firm & the support is over there now. Sufficiently expensive to be worth repairing if it could be done, but shipping & possible post Brexit bollocks are a deterrent.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13964 on: 22 November, 2021, 10:37:55 pm »
Fecking merino thermals with stupidly placed seams have rubbed my oxters red raw  :'(
I won't be buying Isobaa again.

Isobaa is one of those I get on with very well, obviously my oxters are compatible. Though I do have a pair of winter tights I can't wear on the recumbent, they chafe in a very unpleasant location :'(
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13965 on: 22 November, 2021, 10:49:27 pm »
Bugger. My wife dropped a dinner plate yesterday, whilst emptying the dishwasher.  We only have had 4 of that size to start with. It's Denby, but carries no marks, and is a plain grey-brown. The last time one was broken was over 25 years ago, and that ones replacement was a patterened rather than plain one.  I fear we'll struggle to find a replacement to match either the patterned or plain, especaily as we have no idea what the designs are called.

Same problem, our wedding china is a Denby blue, about three years later it was discontinued. Some of the remainders are safely chipped and we bought a bunch of plain white backups a couple of years ago
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13966 on: 22 November, 2021, 11:00:46 pm »
Has anyone tried buy a torch recently. I’m not looking for anything fancy, I don’t want a light sabre, I doesn’t need to be waterproof to 10 bar (mores the pity) it doesn’t need to light up half of Suffolk. I just want a rugged torch I can keep in the kitchen draw that will work when it needs to and is powerful enough to reach the end of the garden. (About 50m).

It’s a bloody minefield. There are actually web retailers, multiple, who sell nothing but torches. I’m going for a lie down.

I have a little AAA keyring light & also a camping  headtorch by Olight, but they've got very spendy recently.  Fenix are decent.   Alternatively get a 2nd hand Maglite off Evilbay & stick an LED in place of the bulb.  Bright light & burglar bashing goodness. 

Heinnie's have a decent selection & an excellent reputation for customer service if you need it. https://heinnie.com/lighting/flashlights/?sort=avgcustomerreview

« Reply #13967 on: 23 November, 2021, 12:28:32 am »
+1 for Fenix torches, though not exactly cheap.

Or Lidl have a torch this week, £15. Looks pretty decent specs. I think USB charging is handy for everyday use. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/christmas-decorations/crivit-rechargeable-led-torch/p47714

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13968 on: 23 November, 2021, 01:18:13 am »
I haz one o'these, which is a splendid thing, doubly so if you get it as a freebie, but probably unobtanium in the Land of the Eastern Angles.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #13969 on: 23 November, 2021, 10:20:07 am »
Bugger. My wife dropped a dinner plate yesterday, whilst emptying the dishwasher.  We only have had 4 of that size to start with. It's Denby, but carries no marks, and is a plain grey-brown. The last time one was broken was over 25 years ago, and that ones replacement was a patterened rather than plain one.  I fear we'll struggle to find a replacement to match either the patterned or plain, especaily as we have no idea what the designs are called.

Same problem, our wedding china is a Denby blue, about three years later it was discontinued. Some of the remainders are safely chipped and we bought a bunch of plain white backups a couple of years ago

My (first) wedding china was Denby Romance.  Whilst we were engaged, we went and chose it, and the nice lady said "Oh, that pattern will be in production for 20 years at least".  Er, it was discontinued before we were even married!  We had to spend all our wedding present money on buying stuff to complete the set, including spending half our honeymoon trawling shops who had stock left.  I suppose that was an indicator for the marriage, which lasted about 8 years.
We (the 2nd Mrs W, with 27 years endurance award) are still using that china on a daily basis, although we did buy a set of plain white stuff when we moved house.  Obviously it wasn't Denby, as I wouldn't trust them again!
Wombat

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13970 on: 23 November, 2021, 10:53:58 am »

Head torch or hand held? USB rechargeable, AAs or 18650? Capable of multiple colours? Variable beam width? Metal or plastic body? Do you want your initials engraved on it? Metric or Imperial lumens?

(Fenix are good, as others have said.)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13971 on: 23 November, 2021, 01:15:54 pm »

Head torch or hand held? USB rechargeable, AAs or 18650? Capable of multiple colours? Variable beam width? Metal or plastic body? Do you want your initials engraved on it? Metric or Imperial lumens?

You’re not funny Mr Cudz and you’re not helping either  >:(
 :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13972 on: 23 November, 2021, 02:59:52 pm »

Yeah he completely overlooked Bluetooth...  :demon:

« Reply #13973 on: 23 November, 2021, 05:46:54 pm »

Yeah he completely overlooked Bluetooth...  :demon:

And of course the obligatory smartphone app to adjust brightness etc.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13974 on: 23 November, 2021, 08:21:19 pm »
Fecking merino thermals with stupidly placed seams have rubbed my oxters red raw  :'(
I won't be buying Isobaa again.

Isobaa is one of those I get on with very well, obviously my oxters are compatible. Though I do have a pair of winter tights I can't wear on the recumbent, they chafe in a very unpleasant location :'(

I'm not entirely sure if it's just the Isobaa that's chafing or if the Alpkit fleece I was wearing on top is part of the problem. Not happy with the way Isobaa washes anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.