Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576379 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14175 on: 17 January, 2022, 06:55:26 pm »
T'wife purchased from middle of the lidl a reflective dog coat for our greyhound who's a big lad. It didn't fit

It's been sat to go back for a fortnight, she passes lidl four times a day although tbf with the kids isn't ideal to go in

She went to do our shop last week and forgot it. She then went back a few days later but couldn't remember password for lidl plus app that has the receipts on

I went today with it but it couldn't be deducted off this week's shop it had to be credited first....back onto the card it was paid for.....which she has......so we still have it!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14176 on: 17 January, 2022, 07:08:21 pm »
Might be quicker to put the dog on a diet...

« Reply #14177 on: 17 January, 2022, 08:12:02 pm »
Might be quicker to put the dog on a diet...

Cheeky git
He's a greyhound so all skin and bone, he's just a rather tall one.

« Reply #14178 on: 18 January, 2022, 11:25:45 am »
Courier services to the Islands can be a bit slow (they actually hand it over to a local firm in Inverness, who then kick the parcel around their depo yard for a day or two before delivery). This two-stage stuff pushes the price up.

Royal Mail is fast, efficient and doesn't cost any more than any address on mainland UK.

Sensible companies, like Spa cycles, send small stuff Royal Mail.

Wiggle/chainreaction/et al always use a courier firm. So a small package, that would get here in 2days standard Royal mail parcel post, takes over a week via Herpes/DPU etc.

This is what drives people to use Amazon. They fly their stuff in and orders are delivered in 24hrs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14179 on: 18 January, 2022, 12:00:21 pm »
Given the choice, I always opt for Royal Mail delivery over courier. It's cheaper and more reliable, even in a sizeable mainland city.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14180 on: 18 January, 2022, 01:37:05 pm »
Given the choice, I always opt for Royal Mail delivery over courier. It's cheaper and more reliable, even in a sizeable mainland city.

Less of an issue with so much working from home, but the RM "come and pick it up" depot is usually somewhere reasonable (in my case it's just a few minutes walk), whereas most couriers' are half way back to the place it was bought from.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14181 on: 18 January, 2022, 01:50:12 pm »
Yes. About five minutes walk for me too.

ian

« Reply #14182 on: 18 January, 2022, 05:57:52 pm »
I don't think a courier has knocked on our door for years, they just dump it on the doorstep or occasionally where the note tells them (behind the porch). I think in part because they're blocking the narrow road outside and obviously, if they delay someone for 30 seconds the murders will begin. On the plus side, we don't get any of those we tried to deliver cards and fortunately the front step isn't easily visible from the street so it doesn't get nicked.

« Reply #14183 on: 18 January, 2022, 06:11:09 pm »

Less of an issue with so much working from home, but the RM "come and pick it up" depot is usually somewhere reasonable (in my case it's just a few minutes walk), whereas most couriers' are half way back to the place it was bought from.

Yes - couriers have a habit of putting their depots in places that appear to be chosen for their inaccessibility to non-car owners (but hey, they have free car parking... :facepalm:).

That said, I've just looked up the location of my local RM delivery office (have not had cause to use it yet, having only moved last month and been in for deliveries thus far) and it appears to be several miles away!

« Reply #14184 on: 21 January, 2022, 10:58:57 pm »
Arrived home from holiday to find no heating!  We knew the central heating was being looked at whilst we were away but they have not sorted it and left it worse.  Hopefully the engineer will be out tomorrow.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14185 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:23:44 pm »
I have a new  rubbish system. As a single person I do not put enough weight in the new nearly empty containers. Next windy day they will travel.

« Reply #14186 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:42:52 pm »
I have a new  rubbish system. As a single person I do not put enough weight in the new nearly empty containers. Next windy day they will travel.
I don't put mine out until I deem there is enough rubbish within to justify collecting.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #14187 on: 25 January, 2022, 04:08:00 pm »
Nor do I.
seems easier than asking the council to swap in a half size replacement and doing the same waiting.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #14188 on: 25 January, 2022, 07:25:36 pm »
We have a food waste bin. The compostable bags are a bit flimsy. I wish the binmen would just empty each bin. Instead they move the bags, to collect several houses together, which then split on the pavement. It’s only more efficient because they don’t clean up after themselves. This week they compounded this by only half empty the thing.

« Reply #14189 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:01:00 pm »
Fortunately ours have a couple of guys who each pull along a wheely bin into which they empty the food waste caddies. Then the wheely bins are tipped into the truck.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14190 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:17:09 pm »
Our food waste is no longer allowed in the green (Formally compostable) waste bin and must now go in the general waste for incineration.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14191 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:22:15 pm »
At my last place, we had a food waste caddy, which was then intended to be emptied in the big street food bin across the road. But the bags supplied were compostable, and as we don't tend to generate much food waste, they would inevitably disintegrate well before they were full. :sick:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14192 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:24:35 pm »
If you don't fill the kitchen caddy in two days or so, you need to empty it anyway. I've never experienced the bags decomposing in the caddy but the condensation generated does develop mould and generally gets to pong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14193 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:39:46 pm »
Fortunately ours have a couple of guys who each pull along a wheely bin into which they empty the food waste caddies. Then the wheely bins are tipped into the truck.

That sounds rather sensible.  Luckily we have a million jackdaws in the town, so spillages are cleaned up pretty quickly.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #14194 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:48:04 pm »

That what ours appear to do. I'm not one per cent convinced they don't wait till no one is looking and empty that bin into the main rubbish lorry.

ian

« Reply #14195 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:56:10 pm »
After much poking about in kitchen cupboard I finally found the cut-out in the back that offers access to the dishwasher plug. In the cupboard under the sink that my wife had assured me included no such thing because she'd checked twice.

On the other hand, a switch it off and back on seems to have made the dishwasher work again. Hopefully, it will stay working because someone is going to have fun plugging the new one in.

« Reply #14196 on: 26 January, 2022, 08:38:17 am »
After much poking about in kitchen cupboard I finally found the cut-out in the back that offers access to the dishwasher plug. In the cupboard under the sink that my wife had assured me included no such thing because she'd checked twice.

On the other hand, a switch it off and back on seems to have made the dishwasher work again. Hopefully, it will stay working because someone is going to have fun plugging the new one in.

Will it not be like exchanging internal bike cables?  Attach the new one to the old one and pull it through?  The problem comes when you have sealed on plugs.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14197 on: 26 January, 2022, 08:54:05 am »
The cable on a new appliance will be hard-wired into it, and have a moulded plug.

Actually, I expect replacing it would be pretty straightforward.
The cable will come to the wall-mounted socket behind the adjacent unit by one of two routes:

-via the void space behind the back of the unit (there's usually a fairly generous gap between the back of the unit and the wall, to allow for services). You will see this once you have dragged the old appliance out enough.

-via a circular hole cut in the side of the unit, large enough to pass a plug through. The water hose will often use the same hole.

In the highly unlikely case that neither of the above apply, and the kitchen has been built around a plugged-in dishwasher (!), then anyone replacing it would just use a hole saw to make the circular hole as described above. This would take all of 30 seconds.

ian

« Reply #14198 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:38:11 am »
I'm pretty sure the kitchen wasn't built around the dishwasher, so I guess someone got it plugged in. There's a hole at the bottom of the adjacent unit where the wire and pipes go and then thread up to the socket in the void behind the second unit (the socket strategically placed so that if we ever have a water leak from the sink we'll know about it when the electrics go out). Fitting a new dishwasher won't be my job, a grown-up will have to figure that out.

Anyway, it did work again last night, so maybe it just needed a hard reboot, or I'm living in the honeymoon period of appliance optimism.

« Reply #14199 on: 26 January, 2022, 10:12:02 am »
Wire fishing tools are a thing and make feeding cables immensely easier.  I made my own from an old tape measure (cut off hook, attach wire loop such as a paper clip in its place) and it's by-far the highest cost:utility ratio tool I own.  :thumbsup: 

Sadly too wide for fishing cables inside bike frames, though!
Life is too important to be taken seriously.