Author Topic: Cycle Camping Excitement  (Read 5316 times)

Re: Cycle Camping Excitement
« Reply #25 on: 31 May, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »
i always read your reports clarion and butterfly so please keep writing them.another meet i could not afford to go to :( . i am hoping to get to watlington and maybe milldenhall this year :-\. i always read the trip reports on this forum and it leaves me wanting to get out and tour again :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #26 on: 31 May, 2011, 08:23:42 pm »
+1
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2011, 08:33:12 pm »
The camp site is a C&CC site but they wont take a booking for one night over the weekend.  I will be an "offroader" apparently.  For the uninitiated, including me, that is someone who just turns up on spec looking for a pitch overnight.  I hope they have a spare one. 

the C&CC have a club policy of "finding somewhere" for a backpacker or cyclist(ie:- non-motorised) overnighter.

Absolutely.  I hope that the site remembers.  If not, let us know, and the ALC will have a word ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2011, 08:37:01 pm »
i always read your reports clarion and butterfly so please keep writing them.another meet i could not afford to go to :( . i am hoping to get to watlington and maybe milldenhall this year :-\. i always read the trip reports on this forum and it leaves me wanting to get out and tour again :thumbsup:

Well, we should be at both of those :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 01 June, 2011, 07:38:39 am »
When we arrived, there were some folk putting up a nylon mansion.  We chatted, pitched, mashed a brew and noticed that they were still pitching for quite a long time after us.  I couldn't bear to have a tent which took so long to put up.  When I get to a site, I want my brew asap.

On Saturday afternoon, as MFWHTBAB and I relaxed in our trikes beside our tents, a couple arrived and started putting up a large tent - the sort you can stand up in.  It seemed to take ages, and when I said, an hour later, "Blimey they haven't finished yet!", MFWHTBAB said "Oh, I expect they are still painting the second bathroom..."
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #30 on: 01 June, 2011, 07:45:34 am »
The camp site is a C&CC site but they wont take a booking for one night over the weekend.  I will be an "offroader" apparently.  For the uninitiated, including me, that is someone who just turns up on spec looking for a pitch overnight.  I hope they have a spare one. 

the C&CC have a club policy of "finding somewhere" for a backpacker or cyclist(ie:- non-motorised) overnighter.

But that policy doesn't extend to booking in advance. A month or so ago I tried to book 7 cycle campers (6 tents) into the C&CC Woodhall Spa site (I'm a C&CC member) and they weren't willing to relax their two night minimum stay policy.  >:( They also wanted to know the exact dimensions of every tent.  ::-)

We camped somewhere else.
a great mind thinks alike

LindaG

« Reply #31 on: 01 June, 2011, 07:56:47 am »

Well, we should be at both of those :thumbsup:

Yes, a really nice ride report.  Somerset in the spring is just bliss, you evoked some happy memories  :) :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #32 on: 01 June, 2011, 08:36:32 pm »
Cue the Bryan Ferry bit...  "I'm just a jealous Guy!"

Sounds like a great time and I look forward to maybe doing a few trips myself in the next year or so. Nice write up.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 02 June, 2011, 09:27:27 am »
Looking forward to seeing you in a field somewher, 'Dog! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #34 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »
OK, another long post coming up.  I guess only Butterfly & me will read it, but it's fun to write. :)

I've also managed to read it, though it's taking me a while to catch up with everything on the forum!

I left with Dennis and Jim because I'm lazy and didn't have to work out a route for the next section of the trip.   ;)

We headed for the C&CC site at Priddy.  Given that I hadn't found the kitchen sink (definitely a Belfast) which someone had hidden in my trailer, I was very glad that we went via Wells and didn't have to tackle the road up through Wookey.

The weather stayed a bit damp over the next couple of days and it even hailed that night.  Not the sort of thing I expect in late May.

« Reply #35 on: 04 June, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
i thought you attracted moisture  ;D.are you going to put a trip report up of your last few weeks adventures ?. i something more to read  :thumbsup:.

the slower you go the more you see

The Mechanic

« Reply #36 on: 06 June, 2011, 08:23:13 am »
Just a quick report on the C&CC site at Tarland in Aberdeenshire.  Got a pitch no bother and at backpacker rate since I was under my own steam.  Cost £8.40.  Showers and toilets were clean, pitch was flat and the site was quiet.  Full marks in my limited experience.  Also has a laundry and Wi-Fi.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 06 June, 2011, 10:02:55 am »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...