Author Topic: Pillow  (Read 3164 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Pillow
« on: 18 October, 2011, 05:11:41 pm »
I want a pillow that weighs nothing & packs down to the size of a postage stamp.Anyone know of/have experience of such a thing.
I already have a Thermarest compression pillow which is not large enough to be properly comfortable.

This is for S240 camping so I'll not have a pannier with which to stuff a lot of clothes I'll not be carrying as I would do on a "normal" camping trip therefore don't neeed recommendations of this nature.

TIA

Re: Pillow
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2011, 06:44:28 pm »
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
I can see an s240 thread in here somewhere..........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:16:52 pm »
I bought a couple of those from Polar Bear earlier this year and have been very pleased with mine.  Packs small, is really wide and the fleece cover makes it feel much better than normal air pillows.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:17:50 pm »

I can see an s240 thread in here somewhere..........

.........there is one somewhere on the forum.It's where the idea entered my head.

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »
Exped do lovely pillows in various sizes.

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
Spendy but wonderful IMO.   I have the large, Mlle PB the medium size.   They pack smaller than the Ajungilak too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2011, 08:12:01 pm »
Ajungilak pillows are good, but it's difficult to get two side by side if you're sharing a bag and mat with someone :)

I use a reversible stuffsack with a fleece outer and a smooth inside, and put my clothes in it.  This has the advantage of having my clothes handy if I need to go for a night time excursion.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2011, 05:48:40 am »
... I use a reversible stuffsack with a fleece outer and a smooth inside ...

Where did you get such a stuffsack may I ask?

The Mechanic

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:03:51 am »
Ajungilak pillows are good, but it's difficult to get two side by side if you're sharing a bag and mat with someone :)

I use a reversible stuffsack with a fleece outer and a smooth inside, and put my clothes in it.  This has the advantage of having my clothes handy if I need to go for a night time excursion.

"someone"??

« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:49:41 am »

It is one of these :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:51:51 am »
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:55:10 am »
We use this one, well comfy and packs down to nada. http://www.woollypigs.com/2009/11/ajungilak-air-pillow-from-mammut/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:09:25 am »
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:31:57 am »
I use a lightweight inflatable pillow from Decathlon, placed inside the stuff sack for my sleeping bag (which has a fleece lining for the purpose).  If you get the pressure right, it's actually a more comfortable shape than the Ajungilak, and will happily fit within the hood of the sleeping bag (the Ajungilak is a bit wide).  It's also lighter, on the slightly dubious assumption that you'd be carrying the stuff sack anyway.

I have also used it on its own, and while the hard to describe fuzzy plastic surface is not as comfy as fleece, it's fine for a S24O.

In the absence of a convenient fleecy stuff sack, Ajungilak wins on comfort, IMHO.

The stuff sack full of clothes approach also works, but only if you're not already wearing them to sleep or leaving them open to dry.  I sometimes do this with a non-fleecy stuff sack to elevate my knee.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2011, 02:17:46 pm »

Cute, thanks!

« Reply #17 on: 19 October, 2011, 03:26:33 pm »
I have both the Ajungilak and an Exped although both are good I now prefer the Exped. Packs smaller is lighter and the shape makes it better for my sleeping postitions.

As a matter of interest Exped have brought out a slightly larger version I haven't seen it yet but I have some on order.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2011, 08:36:38 pm »

Cute, thanks!

Also means that your dirty clothes are separated from your clean ones and ready to go in the washing machine when you get home. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:01:59 pm »
I read this thread and then could not resist. Fat little Karrimor pillow half price from Sports direct £3.99. (not an inflatable)