Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127004 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #250 on: 28 February, 2013, 03:20:21 pm »
Great stuff!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #251 on: 28 February, 2013, 03:32:44 pm »
Well I'm not expecting quite the same level of achievement when my son goes for the first time at Easter. Just wanting to do it again will be enough!
Yup. Work hard on that one. If they don't enjoy it, no amount of imploring or entreaties will persuade them otherwise.
Rust never sleeps

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #252 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »
Just back from a week in Val d'Isere where I had the best conditions I think I've ever had skiing - it was snowing on Sunday when we arrived and then we had 2 and a half days of sun, it then snowed all Wednesday night so we had fresh powder on Thursday, with the week ending with clear blue skies. Going Sunday to Sunday and having the Saturday, which is usually transfer day, on the slopes was amazingly quiet - me and my ski buddy were often the only people on some of the runs. Bliss.

Unfortunately the week didn't get off to a great start when the following items of mine appeared on the baggage carousel in Grenoble looking like this:

Val d'Isere being what it is, the cost of replacing said items was painful - I picked up one pair of plain black salopettes with a price tag of EUR549. Ouch! These were hastily put back on the shelf and I carried on searching for something a bit cheaper. Insurance company currently being pursued......

« Reply #253 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »
I see the severity of the damage necessitated that you fortify yourself with a fruit based drink, just to get over the shock  :P

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #254 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »
I needed to do that every night....

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #255 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:39:26 pm »
What did they do them? Looks like they went head to head with a Piste Basher!!

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #256 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:48:53 pm »
Yeah it was probably that or an angry bear with a chain saw  ;D

It has to be something mechanical - these weren't just dropped or something. The people at Grenoble airport reckoned they didn't really have the machinery that would do that sort of damage, so if that's the case, it was Gatwick. But then, given the bag was ripped wide open meaning I lost a load of gloves and buffs, how on earth 2 boots actually turned up is beyond me as one was hanging precariously out of the bag on the carousel. But my salopettes were wrapped around the boots for some (as it turns out completely useless) light protection so they may have held the boot in place in the bag.

« Reply #257 on: 04 March, 2013, 03:25:50 pm »
oo-er... painful though it looks, does it not represent an opportunity if you are insured? What did the airport have to say?

Out of interest, have you annoyed any bears lately, even though you may not have realised they owned a chain saw?

Skiing sounds great

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #258 on: 04 March, 2013, 03:36:58 pm »
Possibly yes. Travel insurance is useless - they only pay a max of £200 per item or "set" and they don't replace like for like - they just give what the item would be worth today post depreciation and wear and tear. Contents is more hopeful and they were quite helpful on the phone today - thankfully I'm covered away from home so they just need to investigate and take a look at the photos I sent and I then need to supply details of replacement items.

The baggage people at Grenoble agreed that the damage warranted a "completely ruined" on the report they filed for me - that takes around a month to process so I won't know the outcome of that for a while.

Someone somewhere that isn't me surely has to pay for this though.....

« Reply #259 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:53:32 pm »
A couple of GPS trails from Val Cenis

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/280677979

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/280677985

As can be seen, a gentle ski. As to why one shows a top speed for me of 130kph? I don't believe it for one second. They do show the roads turned into (green) piste; it's rather fun following road signs on skis (http://goo.gl/maps/AG9E8) and also before http://goo.gl/maps/gQZ9q and after https://picasaweb.google.com/112931931188633879938/ValCenis2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCNL_wL3P5tbn0wE#5849152726313164034 ;)

More curiously, I notice that the relief shading reflects the real exposure of the slopes to sun. I find this a bit strange, given the orientation of the map, but if it has some reality then it might be useful planning in advance.

« Reply #260 on: 05 March, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »
Well I'm not expecting quite the same level of achievement when my son goes for the first time at Easter. Just wanting to do it again will be enough!
Yup. Work hard on that one. If they don't enjoy it, no amount of imploring or entreaties will persuade them otherwise.

I'm hoping the same thing*! Where are you going, Paul?

*And not just for the kids. My first time too. :-[

« Reply #261 on: 06 March, 2013, 08:55:03 am »
You don't normally associate skiing with inspiring stories but

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21654353

PaulF

« Reply #262 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:09:50 am »
I'm off to Chamonix, looking forward to it because apart from a day that I sneaked into a business trip I haven't skied for 5 years!

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #263 on: 06 March, 2013, 02:26:54 pm »
Someone somewhere that isn't me surely has to pay for this though.....

And now they have. M&S Contents Insurance - claim settled in full, no quibbles, in cash, within 24 hours of calling them. Can't ask for more than that really  :thumbsup:

« Reply #264 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #265 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:51:07 pm »
Good news Pippa :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #266 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »

« Reply #267 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:05:15 pm »
Bargainicious .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LACROIX-PREMIER-ULTRA-LITE-VERSATILE-FREERIDE-ALL-MOUNTAIN-SKIS-185-CM-/160853700124?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item2573a0ae1c

The cheapest current Lacroix skis are 1,000 euro (top, 8,000 euro http://www.lacroix-skis.com/site/en/7-ski-hommes)

Very tempted, but at 185 just that bit long. I was tempted by the Storm (new UK brand) that the same vendor has (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150740940821?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 to be exact, with bindings £180) and by the Lacroix iLand for my daughter @ £99.

Fill yer ski boots.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #268 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:14:43 pm »
Surely if you buy Lacroix skis, you're just asking for someone to ski over them?

I've had my own skis for a few years now but after going for a rental option this year, have decided to sell them. The skis I hired were fab, cost me EUR90 for a week for top end, new this season, so after paying for transport, a service and the like it doesn't work out that much more expensive to rent. Plus I won't have to lug them around any more.

Unfortunately selling my skis does not entitle me to fill the space with a new bike. Bum.

« Reply #269 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:25:20 pm »
The main reason I buy my own skis is that way I know what I have got, I know they are properly set up and by keeping an eye on the bargains - especially at this time of the year - it costs next to nothing. My Salomon Streetracers will probably fetch £150-ish next year which will mean that 3 years skiing/6 weeks will have cost about £60. I'll have to see what the resale value of the Storm will be like, I suspect it will never be as strong. Likewise, my daughters skis  (just sold through snowheads).

Yes, it is a bit of a faff but not too bad, as we often drive.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #270 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:55:22 am »
Bit of a jolly to Geilo, Norway coming up. Hopefully get a couple of hours skiing in on Mon & Tues :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #271 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:32:15 pm »
Well, well.

Google streetview takes to skis!!! http://goo.gl/maps/oBNIJ

Special prize to anyone finding a black run on camera.

PaulF

« Reply #272 on: 31 March, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
First day in Chamonix, up Les Montets.

Perhaps a black with a foot of fresh snow on was a tad ambitious for me but then we went off piste. Once my legs got into it had a great time. Took my son out on snow for the first time and he loved it!

« Reply #273 on: 02 April, 2013, 04:27:38 pm »
We had three days of skiing at Yad Moss over the holidays, they're open tomorrow. It's an odd place to ski, I got chatting about my ancient equipment and the bloke I was talking to gave me a pair of Rossignol 190cm carving skis.

PaulF

« Reply #274 on: 02 April, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »
Another great day in Chamonix! Strayed into Switzerland :D, can't believe that we're finding fresh powder this late in the season!

Son did some blues today - with just a little assistance :)