Author Topic: Anyone want to buy a Welsh campsite?  (Read 1865 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Anyone want to buy a Welsh campsite?
« on: 02 May, 2012, 09:14:41 am »
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28048990.html

Just here.

I stumbled across this place when on a walking holiday with my kids on 2004. Once we'd found it we didn't go anywhere else. The guy running it at the time was trying to make a go of it by doing the usual smallholding sort of things. I think we stayed there 5 nights and I ended up giving him a cheque for £120 at the end of the stay, which included not just the camping for 4 in two tents but also a fair few packs of home-produced freezer meat (Oxford sandy & black bacon, lamb chops, he let us help ourselves to veg. from the garden so we had fresh taters, marrows, carrots, greens and peas).

The owner's wife had left, I think, unable to cope with the deserted lifestyle. He was a very friendly chap (had previously been a nurse in the Bristol area) who was into caving, hill walking, mountaineering and mountain biking and was probably short of company. Because we were on foot, and he was very impressed that we had walked there from Libanus, which was where we caught the bus to when we left Merthyr Tydfil station, he gave us quite a few lifts to good walks, took us to the pub a couple of times and showed us round the old firebrick mine near Pontneddfechan and gave us a lift back to Merthyr at the end of our stay.

I think the farm has changed hands at least once since we were there and I reckon it's not really possible to make much of a living from it. If I were 10 years younger and with the savings and pension that I have now I might consider it. The 10.5 acres are beautiful, but several of them are vertical. In my limited livestock experience I'd say it's totally unsuitable for cattle. I think that at £400000 it almost certainly overpriced.

It's also in completely the wrong place for cycle tourists. It's at the end of a dead end which leads straight to the A4109 Inter-Valley Road, which is a fast, busy road serving some very run-down Valleys areas.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Anyone want to buy a Welsh campsite?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:17:33 am »
Doesn't "considerable character and charm" mean "sinking into the ground with a leaky roof?"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:21:14 am »
I don't know about that. It's been standing there for a very long time so I doubt that it's sinking.

I've just looked at the A4109 in streetview and at the time the camera car was going along there taking picture the road was nowhere near as busy as I remembered it. Having said that, by the looks of the trees the pictures were taken in November when there wouldn't be that many caravans whizzing all over South Wales.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:24:04 am »
I do actually know some people who might buy it.  We were all going to chip in for a castle a few years ago but someone else got in with a higher offer first.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:33:17 am »
If you hadn't told me the price I'd have guessed £250,000 (and even then I'd make an offer).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
The idea of a campsite is far better than the reality.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:46:30 am »
If I had a spare 400k I'd totally have it and then get Monty Don to come and do the Dream Farm thing.  :D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2012, 10:30:28 am »
A few years back there was a relocate to the country type programme which featured a property in wales with a barn conversion as main dwelling, about five original farm houses in good order, a bunch of other out buildings, about five acres of gardens and and 30 acres rented out to the shepherd next door. So basically you had a house and (potential) income stream in one go. I could so have up sticks and bought it but the timings wrong.

Gawd knows where it actually was though. Probably made MV's place seem like Leicester Sq.

« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2012, 10:43:59 am »
Absurdly overpriced.
It's not a big house - think standard 3-bedroom semi.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:40:18 pm »
Vastly over priced.
About 5 years ago some friends bought a run down farm on 28 acres in Shropshire.  Bit of the land is boggy, a bit more is hilly, but most is ok ish for grazing.  Usual barns and sheds, house could do with updating but is easy to live with.  So more than twice the land for the same price as the campsite.