Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514591 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I have acquired a jar of n'duja.  I suspect I may be late to this party, but what do people do with it ?  Recipes pleez.

A jar?  It is a salami.  Spicy salami.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
It comes in a jar though!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

It’s more a pulled meat paste than a salami, albeit usually pushed into a skin.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
It’s more a pulled meat paste than a salami, albeit usually pushed into a skin.

Now all the proper n'duja I have had has been home made from calabria and not shop bought.

All the few times I had shop bought it has not been anything like the home made stuff.

This years “Rich Fruit Cake” (copyright Delia Smith) went into the oven and hour or so ago. In another couple it’ll be gently scenting the house (it’s small, ok, 2 down, 3 up) with fruity spicyness, mmmmm.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

We at the fruit and veg stall at the local market today at the time of day when they are offloading 'two bowls for a pound' -the technical business of weights having gone by  the by.

It being a grim day for the outdoor market we hoovered up multiple bags of bargains.  :)

However on unpacking at home we found a bag of unasked for mystery fruit.  Internet tells us that they are persimmons but is not inspirational on what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

I’ve only ever eaten them on their own, uncooked. But we’ve got a few waiting to ripen, so open to ideas too!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Make jam with them. The place we (used to) stay at in France every year once gave us kaki jam, which I believe is persimmon and it was lovely!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Ordered pancakes at a local cafe for the first time.
2021-12-11_07-24-08 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Wasn't really expecting a whole plate sized inch thick behemoth. First time I've failed to finish pancakes, utterly defeated.

Wasn't really expecting a whole plate sized inch thick behemoth. First time I've failed to finish pancakes, utterly defeated.
Looks good to me. It's a long way for me to go for a bacon buttie.

ian

You need to go to the US and practice a few pancake stacks.

That one seemed to be curiously lacking in maple syrup and whipped butter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We at the fruit and veg stall at the local market today at the time of day when they are offloading 'two bowls for a pound' -the technical business of weights having gone by  the by.
It being a grim day for the outdoor market we hoovered up multiple bags of bargains.  :)
However on unpacking at home we found a bag of unasked for mystery fruit.  Internet tells us that they are persimmons but is not inspirational on what to do with them.
Any suggestions?

Cut into quarters and eat one raw.
Taste and texture will help you decide how you'd like to cook others.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

The maple syrup was in a jug on the side. First time I've not finished a portion of that as well.

ian

Admittedly, the giant pancake is novel. It's like a whale, but round, plate-sized and made out of pancake. Pancake stacks can be subdivided into independently conquerable elements.

Admittedly, the giant pancake is novel. It's like a whale, but round, plate-sized and made out of pancake. Pancake stacks can be subdivided into independently conquerable elements.
...and, if accompanied by bacon, are accompanied by what Americans generically call "bacon" (which is what Brits know as "smoked streaky bacon") - not a pile of the standard British (i.e. "back") bacon. Maybe back bacon works, maybe it doesn't, but "pancakes and bacon" is a stack of pancakes with smoked streaky bacon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The stuff the USAnians refer to as “BACON” would be banned by the HSE over here as injudicious handling thereof causes it to shatter into a million tiny razor blades which then fly across then room and cause serious eye damage to your fellow diners.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

The stuff the USAnians refer to as “BACON” would be banned by the HSE over here as injudicious handling thereof causes it to shatter into a million tiny razor blades which then fly across then room and cause serious eye damage to your fellow diners.

That sounds rather like an example not only of injudicious handling of said substance, but also of injudicious preparation of same.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
BACON As She Is Served in USAnia does not bend.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

I really fancy a proper US diner breakfast right now – towering pancake stack with a melting glacier of maple syrup, a moraine of streaky bacon, sausage, home fries and climbing up into the surrounding highlands of sunny-side-up eggs. And some toast and jelly, though I confess I've never been sure what to do with the jelly, I'm British enough that all toast needs is butter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

The maple syrup was in a jug on the side. First time I've not finished a portion of that as well.

And the pancake's so big that by the time you finish pouring on enough syrup a fair amount has gone over the edge and onto the table.  They do it on purpose, you know.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Oh I never pour the syrup on the pancake these days. I learned that it just sucks it all up and leaves you with no syrupyness. I make a puddle on the plate to dip into.

ian

I generally don't do sweet things and we don't have stuff like biscuits in the house, but I'm partial to the Annas pepparkakor – even if the self-serve warehouse didn't come up trumps (which it rarely did), you could sit in the Ikea car park scoffing a packet of biscuits and washing it down with some kind of lingonberry liquor, safe in the knowledge that you're still classier than 90% of Croydon.

That said, I bought all the flavours (almond, ginger, and orange) in a deli yesterday (along with two bottles of gin) and now I'm eating them all: they're ten times more addictive than crack. You probably need a licence and they're strictly rationed in Sweden and only sold in state-owned pepparkakor shops.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
you're still classier than 90% of Croydon.
ignoble, comfortable Croydon
H.G. Wells, in Tono Bungay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Started the Christmas Dessert yesterday. Just another 4 components for this year's patisserie delight. I also need to practise with the airbrush velveting.

(The Pudding has been maturing for a month.)

I'm on my fourth bag of Lidl lebkuchen so far this season. Oops ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.