Author Topic: South Downs - First solo ascent  (Read 9210 times)

Re: South Downs - First solo ascent
« Reply #25 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »
That's my understanding, yes.

Be careful going down Streat hill. At about 11am the PO van rips first up, then down it. Also, the Streat Farm residents and visitors clearly have little belief that there will be anything in their way when going up and down the hill. If you're going down fast and one of them is coming up, there is no way past the ascending lump of metal.
Rust never sleeps

Toady

« Reply #26 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:42:40 pm »
That's my understanding, yes.

Be careful going down Streat hill. At about 11am the PO van rips first up, then down it. Also, the Streat Farm residents and visitors clearly have little belief that there will be anything in their way when going up and down the hill. If you're going down fast and one of them is coming up, there is no way past the ascending lump of metal.
That shouldn't be a problem. I'm a real nervous ninny when descending at the best of times. 

If I do try that route I'll post on here with what happened.

Edit:  Oh bum.  My Brighton ride has just been indefinitely postponed.

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2013, 10:50:28 pm »
More hatler related South Downs news.

Little miss hatler made it up Streat Hill on Sunday with only one stop. She's never done it with fewer than about 10 stops previously.

Corrrr. Don't they grow up fast.

Meanwhile, mini-hatler is doing his best to burn up Streat Hill as fast as he can manage it. I'm starting to get worried about his overtaking me in a couple of years.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #28 on: 13 August, 2013, 08:48:46 am »
The trick at that point is to now start tsaying he is strong enough to carry some of the luggage and ensure you are transferring the load from you to him at just sufficient rate that you can stay ahead.  :demon:

Or at least thats what my Dad did to me, worked fine until we both had two panniers for touring and at lunch I would transfer his to my bike in the hope it would speed him up a bit.  :smug:

« Reply #29 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:45:20 pm »
The trick at that point is to now start tsaying he is strong enough to carry some of the luggage and ensure you are transferring the load from you to him at just sufficient rate that you can stay ahead.  :demon:

Or at least thats what my Dad did to me, worked fine until we both had two panniers for touring and at lunch I would transfer his to my bike in the hope it would speed him up a bit.  :smug:

Neat idea. Now all I have to do is make sure he doesn't see this thread.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: 14 August, 2013, 01:50:29 pm »
Start with a bag for some tyre levels , p******* repair kit, multi tool etc. so that he can fix his own problems. Also a good excuse for ensuring he can change a tube etc.

« Reply #31 on: 02 September, 2013, 10:18:57 am »
More hatler related South Downs news.

Little miss hatler made it up Streat Hill on Sunday with only one stop. She's never done it with fewer than about 10 stops previously.

Corrrr. Don't they grow up fast.

Meanwhile, mini-hatler is doing his best to burn up Streat Hill as fast as he can manage it. I'm starting to get worried about his overtaking me in a couple of years.
Erk !  Little miss hatler can now do the hill in one go (Aug 28th for the record) and mini-hatler is really really becoming a serious threat to me now. I think I have a year left at best where I can beat him to the top.
Rust never sleeps

Toady

« Reply #32 on: 02 September, 2013, 10:37:59 am »
Erk !  Little miss hatler can now do the hill in one go (Aug 28th for the record) and mini-hatler is really really becoming a serious threat to me now. I think I have a year left at best where I can beat him to the top.
Time for that tool kit.  Lead tyre levers.  Depleted uranium allen keys.