Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926201 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9625 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:05:37 pm »
I don't know, I fancy spending my days indulged in tantric sex (tbh, I'm not choosy) and lute-playing (I'd draw the line at banjo).

I need a cool mono-name though. Maybe The Business.

Sting does sound a bit twattish, admittedly. The Rock made the mono-name cool though.  Though if I were called Dwayne, I'd take that route too.

« Reply #9626 on: 17 November, 2021, 01:14:33 pm »
I don't hate Sting. He's just a bit irritatingly up himself.

Yes, Ian, you need a different name.

I've been doing duolingo Gaelidgh for a bit. 'Iain' features quite a bit.

'Tha Iain dona.'

'Chan eil Iain snog.'

Really, if I had that reputation, I'd consider changing my name.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9627 on: 17 November, 2021, 09:08:08 pm »
"Shang-Chi and the 10 rings". First Marvel movie in ages I actually enjoyed. They also clearly tried very hard not to whitewash it, which was nice, although it is decidedly banana-asian in places, which I guess is reasonable. The set-pieces are still too big and more tones down martials pieces would have been better, but I'll take it.

ian

« Reply #9628 on: 17 November, 2021, 09:30:21 pm »
I don't hate Sting. He's just a bit irritatingly up himself.

Yes, Ian, you need a different name.

I've been doing duolingo Gaelidgh for a bit. 'Iain' features quite a bit.

'Tha Iain dona.'

'Chan eil Iain snog.'

Really, if I had that reputation, I'd consider changing my name.

Cycloptic ians are the best, never trust anyone with an unnecessary vowel movement (which I married a Clare and not a Claire). Iains are typically Scottish and the lack of sunlight gives them stimpy brains.

But yes, I think I want to be The Business. Stingier than Sting, Edgier than The Edge. I want a theme that plays when I walk into a room. Maybe Ready for It...

I see myself as becoming the human equivalent of a motivational poster.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9629 on: 17 November, 2021, 09:35:12 pm »
1.Telling everyone about his tantric sex with Trudie.

2.Calling an album "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles".

Apart from those, he's ok.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9630 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:20:03 pm »
Started watching Wonder Woman 1984 last night. Christ, it’s dull. Lasted about half an hour before deciding that sleep would be more entertaining.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9631 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:09:49 pm »
Quote from: ian
Isn't that on a par with aspiring to be Deputy Chief Clerk in Accounts Receivable?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #9632 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:11:56 pm »
Feeling crap and having an empty house on Saturday resulted in my loafing on the sofa and watching an ITV4 triple bill; Battle of the Bulge, Where Eagles Dare and The Fury.

Haven't seen the first since I was about 10, the second for about 20/30 years and the last one ever.

Fascinating progression of cinematic and acting techniques.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9633 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:52:43 pm »
Cycloptic ians are the best

I like Magic Ians best. They can do card tricks an everyfink.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #9634 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:05:13 pm »
Quote from: ian
Isn't that on a par with aspiring to be Deputy Chief Clerk in Accounts Receivable?

Steady on with your unbridled aspiration.

« Reply #9635 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:11:00 am »
Feeling crap and having an empty house on Saturday resulted in my loafing on the sofa and watching an ITV4 triple bill; Battle of the Bulge, Where Eagles Dare and The Fury.

Haven't seen the first since I was about 10, the second for about 20/30 years and the last one ever.

All three interesting films. I'd class the middle one as a spy thriller that happens to take place during a war.
Fury is a moderately decent war film, not glamorising war.
Long time since I've seen them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9636 on: 25 November, 2021, 04:58:32 am »
"Heat".

My physio referred to it today and I couldn't remember the scene he talked about. I mean, it's an iconic Michael Mann film, surely I've watched it.
Found it on Prime and errhh, no, never seen it before. Now I have and it's good.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9637 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:41:34 am »
"Heat".

My physio referred to it today and I couldn't remember the scene he talked about. I mean, it's an iconic Michael Mann film, surely I've watched it.
Found it on Prime and errhh, no, never seen it before. Now I have and it's good.

It was a favourite of the Inlaw Paw.  Al Pacino in his bawling period.  I rarely managed to stay awake all the way through.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9638 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:46:54 am »
It is, at least, memorable. I can remember the entire plot and many scenes.

Contrast that Pacino film where he plays a detective in Alaska. (Insomnia?) I can't remember any of it.

« Reply #9639 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:42:54 am »
Yeah, Pacino is borderline annoying in it.  It's probably one of the most understated roles De Niro has done.
The cinematography is really good. Very few can get away with that much use of close-ups and then of course, the obligatory night time helicopter flights.

« Reply #9640 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:57:14 am »

All three interesting films. I'd class the middle one as a spy thriller that happens to take place during a war.
Fury is a moderately decent war film, not glamorising war.
Long time since I've seen them.

Don't bother re watching Battle of the Bulge its rubbish, almost no redeeming features. Fury is quite good. Its too long since I have seen Where Eagles Dare to comment.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9641 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:59:57 am »
I can't say I've ever followed the career of Sting, but why does everyone hate him? What did he do?

He earned me a B at GCSE German.

A couple of days before the exam, I found myself procrastinating by means of watching a left-on[1] telly which happened to be showing a documentary about Sting and The Police.  In what can only be described as blind luck, the Reading section of the exam paper consisted of a lengthy interview with Sting, and I discovered that I already knew most of the answers.

[1] If you switched off televisions my parents would think you had schizophrenia.
Not the expected sting in the tale.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #9642 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:26:34 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog.

And, whilst it wasn't high art by any means, I found it rather enjoyable. I think Detective Pikachu (which we watched last week) was the better film of the two but this was much better than I anticipated/feared.

Twill (Quill?) do for a lazy Sunday evening at any rate.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #9643 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:58:56 am »
Rewatched Captain Marvel as an antidote to the very dull Eternals. Definitely one of the better ones.

After spending about an hour trying to figure out how to install the Disney+ app (not actually difficult, once you figure out where they hide apps, which are squirrelled away in some suboption under LG Content).

« Reply #9644 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:05:24 pm »
Where Eagles Dare

Clint's highest body count.

Burton took a percentage instead of his fee and it was MGM's biggest film of the year.

A Castle For Christmas

American writer Brooke Shields wants to buy a castle from non-threatening Scotch Duke Cary Elwes. They start off hating each other then..

Not as bad as a flesh-eating disease.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9645 on: 02 December, 2021, 04:15:45 pm »
The Power of the Dog

Starring Sherlock Holmes, Peter Parker's luv interest and that fleshy guy who won't go away.

Scenery's great, photography Oscar-level, acting good. Story's pretty good too but

(click to show/hide)

I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd watch it again.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9646 on: 02 December, 2021, 05:21:11 pm »
Bulletproof (that's the UK name, it is called the Queen Vic, or something like that, in the US)

A first night out for a rookie cop and a seasoned one. Effortless watching and some exploding heads.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9647 on: 04 December, 2021, 10:59:49 pm »
The Italian Jobbie

This was, apparently, a remake of an old film.

A long time ago in management training I was taught to ask: How, What, When, Who, Where, Why.

This film could have been improved with some basic management training,
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9648 on: 05 December, 2021, 08:18:09 am »
The Italian Jobbie

A long time ago in management training I was taught to ask: How, What, When, Who, Where, Why.

Mark Wahlberg playing Michael Caine is like Jason Statham playing Alec Guinness.

ian

« Reply #9649 on: 05 December, 2021, 11:44:05 am »
The Italian Jobbie

Yeah, I saw that a while back, I think the only connection was that they had Minis. The rest of it, other than The Stath™ of course, was entirely unmemorable.

Red Notice on Netflix. Cost a billion dollars or somesuch, but trust me, it didn't show. OK, it was only ever going to be a popcorn muncher, but it could have been a good one. The result was bland and endlessly derivative, the Ryan Reynold schtick really starts to wear, and the result is just lazy. It's like they paid top dollar for all the ingredients of a blockbuster but didn't bother to read the recipe and just threw them in a pot because you know, like, whatever.

Independence Day – blimey is it really that old – which was a proper blockbuster and far more fun. I don't care that didn't have the correct USB to interface with a mothership. In for one invasion, we went for the belated sequel which I didn't remember as any good, but actually this time around it was quite enjoyable.