Author Topic: Toddler cycling championship  (Read 1899 times)

Julian

• samoture
Toddler cycling championship
« on: 22 April, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »
Toddlers train for Strider British Balance Bike Championships

I'm reserving judgement on whether this is a really cool way to get tots interested in cycling or the appalling consequence of the pushiest parents in Britain.  Opinion may be influenced by whether there are any mini-YACFers likely to be taking part ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Toddler cycling championship
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:03:17 pm »
What are the chances of over 50% of the toddlers actually going in the right direction?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2013, 01:35:37 am »
ISTR reading about this last year. I confess my initial reaction was "pushy parents" (but not literally pushy, obviously...  :D) but I expect in reality it's a mix of pushy and cycley (and pushy-cycley). There are similar things with two-year olds racing on miniature motorbikes, so if it actually were 100% pushy parents, at least they're pushing their kids in a decent direction. Though every action has a reaction, etc...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2013, 08:18:54 pm »
I'm sure some of it is pushy parents, but I started BMX racing at 5, my brother started at 3, and we loved it! My eldest is now getting the hang of his balance bike and the thing that has got him interested in riding it has been watching Cars and then 'racing' me on my skateboard around the local basketball court, so he would definitely be up for a race on a BMX track.