Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 82800 times)

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #75 on: 08 April, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »
i went to a southend game on my 40th birthday the chairman was on about the stadium starting to be built for the following season guess what I'm 48 in two weeks and there's still no stadium glad I didn't hold my breath as I'd be dead now

« Reply #76 on: 14 April, 2015, 05:30:10 pm »
It's not me, I won't be playing.

You have to recall that I take an interest in Southend from an entirely political perspective. Their manager is a nefarious individual to say the least. For quitea few years he has been trying to make a load of dosh through closing Southend's current stadium (capacity 12000ish) and open a 22000 seat stadium ont of town. He then wants to sell the old ground for a supermarket to be built on it.

WoW that will be the chairman not the manager. The manager is a purely sporting position hired by the club to manage and coach the players, he has no say in finances etc.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #77 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:55:48 pm »
It's not me, I won't be playing.

You have to recall that I take an interest in Southend from an entirely political perspective. Their manager is a nefarious individual to say the least. For quitea few years he has been trying to make a load of dosh through closing Southend's current stadium (capacity 12000ish) and open a 22000 seat stadium ont of town. He then wants to sell the old ground for a supermarket to be built on it.

WoW that will be the chairman not the manager. The manager is a purely sporting position hired by the club to manage and coach the players, he has no say in finances etc.

Correct. The owner. One Ron Martin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #78 on: 18 April, 2015, 11:36:32 am »
Midweek matches were kind to Southend, although Wycombe winning diminished the Bleeders' chances of automatic promotion. They do seem to have cemented themselves firmly into the play-offs though.

Southend's remaining fixtures are:-

Exeter away
Bury away
Luton home
Morecambe away

The Bury match is the toughest of those, and is both sides' game in hand. If Wycombe falter the winner will gain automatic promotion, assuming other results go their way, and as of today both sides are in good form. Southend's last 5 matches are DWWWW, Bury's WWLWW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #79 on: 18 April, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »
Southend and Bury both won, Wycombe drew. They are looking fragile now and Tuesday's match between Bury and Southend is a must-win game. Both are assured of at least a play-off place but a draw won't get them into the automatic promotion slots. Bury are a point ahead of Southend so they will go ahead of Wycombe on points if they win. Southend will draw level with Wycombe but, at the moment, have an inferior goal difference.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #80 on: 21 April, 2015, 10:51:38 pm »
Blimey! Southend won 1 - 0 away to Bury. They are now level on points with Wycombe but with a 5-goal inferior difference. Southend have now won their last 6 games.

A friend of mine attends quite a lot of the home games. She reckons that Southend have quite frequently been pretty much outplayed by their opponents but have popped in a late goal against the run of play, so are very fortunate to be where they are. Today's game, from what I can gather, fits very much into that category. Bury had 63% of the possession to Southend's 37%.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/match/2015/apr/21/bury-v-southend refers.

Southend now have to play Luton and Morecambe, Wycombe play Morecambe and Northampton. Unpredictable, but I'll try: Southend get into the playoffs (they are assured of at least that, whatever their last two results) and then lose to someone. Could be Luton.  :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #81 on: 26 April, 2015, 07:21:04 am »
Well. That was an excellent day for Southend, beating Luton whilst Wycombe lost to Morecambe. The Bleeders' last two results have seen them overtake both Bury and Wycombe and they now occupy third place. Automatic promotion beckons with one game to play.

At the same time, the issue of the totally unnecessary new stadium is occupying the narrow mind of the local rag's headline writers. South end get crowds in the region of 4000, for which their 12000 seat stadium is more than adequate. Besides, I suspect that Foul Old Ron Martin has missed the economic boat when it comes to building yet another supermarket.

Millennium Hand and Shrimpers.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #82 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:08:26 am »
If Southend are promoted, I will, of course, loose all interest in this thread, as it will be about foopball in some rarified higher league.   ;)

On a related note, Hartlepool took an unexpected 3 home points to place them 4 points above the relegation zone.  They've only gone and done it again.  :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #83 on: 26 April, 2015, 09:10:35 am »
Decades of practice! Well done 'Pool!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #84 on: 26 April, 2015, 12:05:34 pm »
I suspect, Basil, that even if the Bleeders are promoted, you can take a passing interest in the fact that Southend will be on the way back down in a year's time.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #85 on: 26 April, 2015, 12:17:55 pm »
I suspect, Basil, that even if the Bleeders are promoted, you can take a passing interest in the fact that Southend will be on the way back down in a year's time.

Hartlepool Will no doubt wave as they pass in the opposite direction.  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #86 on: 27 April, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »
My pal was at Southend's match at the weekend, once again. Her husband chose a day out in the British Museum instead.

The game was pretty dire and Southend were, apparently, largely outplayed. They didn't take the lead until after they had had a man sent off. I am led to believe that Morecambe, who are Southend's final opponents of the scheduled league matches, are a big, robust team who will give Southend a particularly hard time. The expectation is, therefore, that Bury will win and Southend will lose, forcing them back into the play-offs.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #87 on: 02 May, 2015, 04:25:32 pm »
As things stand, Southend are being pushed down into the play-offs. Despite having 65% of the possession, Southend are 2-1 down to Morecambe, who have only had two shots on target. Both Wycombe and Bury are winning.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #88 on: 02 May, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »
Funny old thing, football, isn't it?  Southend disappointed to be in the play offs.  Hartlepool elated to be third from bottom.  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #89 on: 02 May, 2015, 05:30:27 pm »
Not that I have been to watch them since their well-deserved win over Sunderland, but my understanding is that some chickens came home to roost for Southend today. Southend, according to the Graun's website, had 59% of the possession and Morecambe had just three shots on target. Sadly for Southend, all three shots went in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #90 on: 02 May, 2015, 06:56:29 pm »
A propos of reply no. 84, Bury did indeed win, and are in thrid place. Wycombe, Southend, Stevenage and Plymouth have to play off. Is it 4 v 7 and 5 v 6, does anyone know?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #91 on: 13 May, 2015, 05:44:47 pm »
Southend played away to Stevenage on Sunday an drew 1-1. They play the home leg tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #92 on: 14 May, 2015, 09:50:17 pm »
Currently playing extra time. Wycombe beat Plymouth so if Southend get through that's who they play.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #93 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
And Southend play Wycombe in the play-off final. 3 - 1 win tonight, after extra time. The third goal was scored 2h 1m 36s into the game. I don't suppose this is a record, but my google-fu wasn't up to proving that it wasn't. There was a Grauniad page dealing with the latest goals in a 90-minute game but I found nothing relating to extra time being played.

Edit: Southend missed a penalty in the 94th minute of normal time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #94 on: 23 May, 2015, 08:13:06 pm »
Southend have equalised in the 122nd minute of the final.

« Reply #95 on: 23 May, 2015, 08:23:50 pm »
The game was really poor. But what a dramatic end!!!These penalties are stressful even for a neutral!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #96 on: 23 May, 2015, 08:38:00 pm »
Saarfend are promoted, 7-6 on penalties. Oh well, there will now be calls for a bigger stadium...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #97 on: 15 August, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »
It has dawned on me that it is mid-August and we must therefore be nearly half-way through the football season. I decided to see how Southend were doing and was not surprised to learn that they have now played 3, lost 2 and drawn 1. Today's effort, against Walsall, was a 2 - 0 home defeat in which the visitors, according to the Graun website, enjoyed 70% of the possession.

Meanwhile, in Southend's absence from League 2, Hartlepool have won their first two games. Basil! What is going on?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #98 on: 15 August, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »
Meanwhile, in Southend's absence from League 2, Hartlepool have won their first two games. Basil! What is going on?

The manager has a new tactic.  At the half time team talk he says, "Try and win the game if you can."
Seems to be working so far.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #99 on: 31 August, 2015, 10:35:36 pm »
So far this season, Southend's opponents are all undefeated. It's odd: Southend are playing real football teams. In tonight's match Coventry came from behind to draw 2 - 2.