Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81665 times)

Re:Non-Premier League Football
« Reply #175 on: 23 August, 2019, 08:11:56 am »
Bury have been promoted to League One*  :thumbsup: (despite a blip in their end of season form and the
off-field goings on).

*..and will be playing Southend United next season.
Isn't Bury's chairman (Steve Dale), the guy who bought the club for £1, one of those guys who
buys up companies on the cheap in order to strip them down and then sell for a huge profit?

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #176 on: 23 August, 2019, 08:43:48 am »
According to the Toady programme this morning, yes.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #177 on: 30 August, 2019, 06:31:37 pm »
Southend is the only team in the football league to have played 5 lost 5.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #178 on: 31 August, 2019, 06:39:45 pm »
P6L6.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #179 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:39:33 pm »
Southend have just ruined their perfect record by drawing with Fleetwood. A very good result for Southend as Fleetwood were 4th. 3 - 3 the score, Southend equalising in the 87th minute.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #180 on: 21 September, 2019, 06:55:19 pm »
An away win for Saarfend against MK Dons, whom I reckon will not be m'kay about it.

Southend scored in the 4th minute. Thereafter, it was pretty well all MKD. They had 65% of the possession, 15 off-target shots to Southend's 7 (on-target shots were 4 apiece), 10 corners to Southend's 2, 5 fouls to Southend's 9, 1 player booked to Southend's 4.

It's a funny old game, David.

« Reply #181 on: 23 September, 2019, 12:14:45 pm »
Going back a fair few years. Actually to the mid to late 90s I had a great history teacher and Southend fan called Graham Coxell. He was a fannof the Southend but finally admitted he couldn't face going to watch them any more as was too depressing

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #182 on: 12 October, 2019, 05:24:02 pm »
A 1 - 4 home loss to Wimbledon today. That's possibly the worst result of the season so far. Wimbledon were 1 place a head of Southend and in one leap they are free of the relegation zone, albeit by goal difference ahead of Tranmere.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #183 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:46:56 pm »
Another loss for the poor old Bleeders today - Sunderland away. They are second from bottom of League 1 on 5 points from 16 games. Only Bolton Wanderers are below them, by virtue of having been docked a vast number of points at the start of the season for financial irregularities/not having a pot to piss in. But Bolton have won their past two games and against relatively well-placed sides so they appear to be digging themselves out of their hole.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #184 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:59:56 pm »
I have learned that Sol Campbell is now Southend's manager. This was his second game in charge, it seems.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #185 on: 02 November, 2019, 10:02:44 pm »
A 1 - 4 home loss to Wimbledon today. That's possibly the worst result of the season so far. Wimbledon were 1 place a head of Southend and in one leap they are free of the relegation zone, albeit by goal difference ahead of Tranmere.

After that, Southend lost 7 - 1 at home to Doncaster. That was a Tuesday game that I had overlooked.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #186 on: 10 November, 2019, 04:11:25 pm »
Southend’s FA Cup run came to an end very abruptly at the hands, or feet, of non-league Dover. At least that wasn’t the most ignominious defeat for a football league team. That was a 4 - 0 home defeat for Macclesfield by Kingstonians (Surrey? Hull? Jamaica?)

I suppose a fairly arcane quiz question would be “What have Southend inherited from Macclesfield?”, to which the answer is “Sol Campbell”, who a few weeks ago was allowed to terminate his contract at Macclesfield “by mutual consent”. There seems to have been some talk of a players’ strike at Macclesfield threatening the very existence of today’s game. Maybe the players settled for a go-slow instead. Mr. Campbell’s managerial career does not seem to be going well.

The other result that caught my eye was Leyton Orient 1 - 2 Maldon & Tiptree. Jammy lot.

« Reply #187 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:43:39 am »
I suppose a fairly arcane quiz question would be “What have Southend inherited from Macclesfield?”, to which the answer is “Sol Campbell”, who a few weeks ago was allowed to terminate his contract at Macclesfield “by mutual consent”. There seems to have been some talk of a players’ strike at Macclesfield threatening the very existence of today’s game. Maybe the players settled for a go-slow instead. Mr. Campbell’s managerial career does not seem to be going well.
Macclesfield almost went bust last year (and didn't pay the players for months at a time) and Campbell did a great job in dragging them away from relegation. He doesn't seem to have worked at the most stable or high achieving clubs - I don't know whether that's because he has a reputation for rescuing impossible situations, or because only desperate clubs are prepared to give him a chance.

« Reply #188 on: 11 November, 2019, 10:54:22 am »
Macclesfield fielded a youth team, so Kingstonian's win is not as remarkable as it might have seemed at first sight.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #189 on: 23 November, 2019, 06:33:35 pm »
Another 4 - 0 home defeat for Southend, meaning that for the second time this season they have lost 5 consecutive league games. I had been anticipating Bolton, who are below them in the table only because they had 12 point deducted at the start of the season, reducing the deficit to 1 point. Bolton had won their previous three games but close neighbours Accrington Stan gave them a 7 - 1 drubbing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #190 on: 26 November, 2019, 09:36:15 pm »
Bloody hell.   Hardly Poo Untied have scored six goals tonight.
And are consequently 5-1 up.  :facepalm:  ::-)
And the game isn't over yet.
In all my years of following their fortunes, I don't think I've ever seen 5 by their name.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #191 on: 26 November, 2019, 11:49:58 pm »
Hang on a tick.

Are Chesterfield non-league?

The Chesterfield who earned, but were deprived of, a place in the FA cup final when their perfectly good goal against Middlesborough was disallowed?

When did that happen?

« Reply #192 on: 27 November, 2019, 07:40:27 am »
Non-League the last couple of years.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #193 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:14:20 pm »
The Jammers' (Maldon & Tiptree) cup run came to an end this evening with a 1 - 0 home loss to Newport County.

I can't see any sign of Colchester being left in the competition, so West Ham is the last Essex hope, if you still count West Ham as Essex.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #194 on: 30 November, 2019, 08:50:33 am »
The Jammers' (Maldon & Tiptree) cup run came to an end this evening with a 1 - 0 home loss to Newport County.

I can't see any sign of Colchester being left in the competition, so West Ham is the last Essex hope, if you still count West Ham as Essex.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the iron works from which sprang forth the club was south of the river, so Kent (a bit west from that other famous Kentish club - Arsenal).  By modern reckoning, they're within the North Circular, so London; Dagenham is definitely Essex (IMHO).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #195 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:03:52 am »
When I last selected county chess teams, we counted as Essex all 5 of the London boroughs Havering, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Barking & Dagenham and Newham. That would have included Upton Park and the current Stratford stadium.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #196 on: 30 November, 2019, 12:27:07 pm »
Before they knocked it down to build the Olympic Park, the wall separating the sports centre from the main road near the late lamented Eastway cycle circuit had "Leyton, Essex" painted on it in large, friendly and very faded letters.  West Ham now play their home games in the Olympic Stadium.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #198 on: 21 December, 2019, 09:24:17 pm »
Poor old Saarfend. They lost 3 - 2 to bottom club Bolton. Southend are now on 7 points, Bolton on 5. Bolton started the season on -12. Southend have played 22 games, which is more than any other team in the division.

Sadly for Bolton, they would still be in the bottom 3 even if they hadn't had those points deducted.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #199 on: 22 December, 2019, 03:51:01 pm »

I may be mistaken, but I believe the iron works from which sprang forth the club was south of the river, so Kent (a bit west from that other famous Kentish club - Arsenal).  By modern reckoning, they're within the North Circular, so London; Dagenham is definitely Essex (IMHO).
Well I didn't know that. Perhaps that means Wow can start following Canterbury City?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.