Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 82814 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #300 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:12:31 pm »
Another win for Barrow.

There's a definitely "East Coast" feel about the lower parts of he division, with Colchester, Southend & Grimsby occupying the bottom 3 places and Scunthorpe sinking slowly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #301 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:24:26 pm »
Remarkably, Southend had the bulk of the possession and, on the basis that Scunthorpe equalised in the 90th minutes, means they might be considered a bit unlucky.

« Reply #302 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:15:16 pm »
"Weren't for bad luck, wouldn't have no luck at all."  Albert King amongst many (Born Under A Bad Sign)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #303 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:45:29 pm »
Most of the Lowly Ones were in action tonight, largely against one another. Perhaps the biggest surprise was Grimsby's win over Barrow, given Barrow's recent winning ways. Southend drew 0 - 0 against fellow-languishers Walsall, but Colchester drew 2 - 2 with Tranmere, which was their best result for ages.

Grimsby are still bottom, but have gone at least 5 games without loss. They have a game in hand over Southend, who have 1 point more. Barrow are 6 points ahead of Southend and have two games in hand.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #304 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:13:24 pm »
Most of the Lowly Ones were in action tonight, largely against one another. Perhaps the biggest surprise was Grimsby's win over Barrow, given Barrow's recent winning ways. Southend drew 0 - 0 against fellow-languishers Walsall, but Colchester drew 2 - 2 with Tranmere, which was their best result for ages.

Grimsby are still bottom, but have gone at least 5 games without loss. They have a game in hand over Southend, who have 1 point more. Barrow are 6 points ahead of Southend and have two games in hand.
looking like a struggle from here to stay up.  I saw the red card on 519 and it was something of a shocker

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #305 on: 23 March, 2021, 11:14:52 pm »
Sorry, you lost me there. What is 519?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #306 on: 23 March, 2021, 11:30:54 pm »
Apparently there's some good news for us after today's results, which is that Grimsby and Southend are not able to overhaul our 62 points, so we are safe from relegation.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #307 on: 27 March, 2021, 05:07:45 pm »
A rare win for Southend, this time against Harrogate, and a draw for Grimsby. Grimsby have failed to lose in their last 5 games, but are still bottom. Barrow lost, and so did Colchester. There are now only 4 points separating Southend and Colchester and they have played the same number of games. Barrow have played 2 games fewer and are just 1 point behind Colchester.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #308 on: 27 March, 2021, 05:24:35 pm »
Port Vale (20th) also beat Newport who are 4th. There are lots of games, but Southend need to win some.
I hope Newport don't get promoted. When they used to be in the same division as Bristol Rovers (now League One) the whole Gloucester Road used to be blocked.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #309 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:18:34 pm »
Port Vale (20th) also beat Newport who are 4th. There are lots of games, but Southend need to win some.
I hope Newport don't get promoted. When they used to be in the same division as Bristol Rovers (now League One) the whole Gloucester Road used to be blocked.
We could solve that by Bristol Rovers getting relegated.  :P Given they are second from bottom having lost their last 4 - I think you probably want Newport to be promoted. :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #310 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:49:01 pm »
<checks table>
Gosh. They were mid-table last time I looked. No, I haven't been following closely....
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #311 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »
Southend don't play until tomorrow, when their opponents are Carlisle. The rest of the division played today, and Barrow's win against Newport, and Colchester's draw, now means that Colchester and Southend, already deadly foes (or at least, I understand that their fans are) are competing with one another as the team to be relegated with Grimsby.

Colchester are still favourites to stay up, being 5 points ahead, but their recent form has been worse than Southend's, Southend have a game in hand, and Southend, Barrow and Colchester still have to play one another in a toothsome "mini-league" of sub-mediocrity.

La femme grasse hasn't even started to warm up yet.

« Reply #312 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:25:50 pm »
I couldn't believe how far the Us had slipped, col U that us. Sorry wow but having seen them play a few times and working pretty much next to the community stadium I would like Colchester to stay up but ideally as a localish club I don't particularly want Southend to go down

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #313 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:48:10 pm »
I couldn't believe how far the Us had slipped, col U that us. Sorry wow but having seen them play a few times and working pretty much next to the community stadium I would like Colchester to stay up but ideally as a localish club I don't particularly want Southend to go down

I have to repeat that my interest in the fortunes (or otherwise) of Southend United are purely political: the club has had the ear of corrupt politicians for a couple of decades at least. I feel sorry for the fans, who have been duped by the current owner in to supporting a ridiculous out-of-town stadium capable of holding a crowd the like of which Southend haven't had for about 40 years.

Do you think Colchester are better off now that they have their flash new stadium? At least I can see the point of that one: its capacity is only a little over 10000, compared to Layer Road's 6000. Also, it is right next to an existing motorway-in-all-but-name so it makes sense to take the ground away from the centre of Colchester. No-one has considered rebuilding Roots Hall at its existing venue, and of course a previous chairman was responsible for demolishing a stand and selling the land, which would have been extremely valuable to a rebuild where the ground currently is. The site that has been chosen for Southend's new stadium will put a load of extra pressure on exisiting overcrowded roads.

So Southend's impending relegation will be very interesting if it actually happens, because so much has been invested already in moving the ground.

https://goo.gl/maps/Wr4qo8NLWZdYXFgY6

shows where the ground is supposed to be. I've forgotten how long it is since those offensive hoardings were erected.

https://goo.gl/maps/NG7v8sJSVxMrhVWd6

is what it looked like in 2012.

« Reply #314 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:20:01 pm »
Ah wow I don't really know a lot about the Us and have had a steadily declining interest in football for years but being my nearest club and also being a big fan of Steve Lamacq a (the?) Famous col U fan i keep more of an eye in them than any other team which still isn't a huge amount

The actual stadium is good in the fact its used as a community resource. Its my usual blood donor place and is currently a vaccine centre and I know several people who have hired it for football matches

« Reply #315 on: 05 April, 2021, 05:49:36 pm »
Barrow and Colchester drew with each other. Remarkably, Grimsby drew with Cheltenham, who are second.
Southend have 7 games left - they need to win at least 4 to stand a chance of catching Colchester or Barrow.
County beat Bolton today (after losing to Barrow on Friday thanks to the wall parting like the Red Sea), so are still 7th, but with a game in hand on most clubs above them. 6 wins from 8 would give them a shot at 3rd, which seems unlikely - playoffs are much more achievable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #316 on: 05 April, 2021, 10:30:20 pm »
So if Southend win their game in hand and also beat Colchester, assuming no other intervening results, then Southend would be level with Colchester on points but still well behind them on goal difference.

I've just been looking at the "National League", Southend's highly probable destination for next season. There are some teams playing there who within my memory were actually half decent. I'm pretty sure that Notts County were in the first division what seems to me to be not all that long ago (but was probably over 30 years). <googles> Yes, it looks as though it was 1988. And I think I remember Wrexham beating Arsenal in the FA Cup once.

But there will be no justification whatever for a >20000 seat stadium. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ron martin abandons the club to its fate and simply sells the land he's bought, no doubt at a knockdown price. In fact, he would get the best of both worlds: build on the existing stadium and on the land planned for the new one. And he wouldn't keep having to dip into his back pocket to pay the players' wages and the HMRC bill.

« Reply #317 on: 06 April, 2021, 12:53:37 pm »
Most clubs in the National League are full time professional. It's one of the hardest to escape because only 2 teams go up, and most of them lose money and have to be subsidised by their owners.
There are a lot of clubs that floated around Leagues 1 and 2 for years down there - Hartlepool, Aldershot, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Stockport, Notts County (one of the football league founders?), and Yeovil have all been league teams in the not-too-distant past.
Cudzo - Bristol Rovers won on the weekend - they are still in the relegation zone, but level on points with Swindon above them.  That is an interesting twist on things as well. :)

« Reply #318 on: 06 April, 2021, 05:17:55 pm »
Of the top 8 or 9 clubs in the National League, only Sutton (who are top) have never been in the first 4 divisions.  Notts County, who are bottom of that lot (the first 8 or 9) are founder members of the Football League (I think) and the oldest professional team in the world - and it's looking like they've still got the same players.....

PS There's really no such thing as a full-time professional sportsman.

« Reply #319 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:02:26 pm »
Of the top 8 or 9 clubs in the National League, only Sutton (who are top) have never been in the first 4 divisions.  Notts County, who are bottom of that lot (the first 8 or 9) are founder members of the Football League (I think) and the oldest professional team in the world - and it's looking like they've still got the same players.....

Halifax are a Phoenix club, so their claim to league football is slightly tenuous, but yeah. There are 3 ex League clubs in the National League North (Kettering, Kidderminster, and York),  I think there are something like 7 ex-premier league clubs in Division 1 as well, so some clubs have had significant falls from grace.

Full-time in sporting terms tends to mean that you don't have to have another job. Lots of the National League N/S players have other jobs as well as playing football.

« Reply #320 on: 06 April, 2021, 07:02:00 pm »
Ha, yes, Duncan, I know what full-time means "officially" but you'd be hard-pushed to find a pro. putting in a 40-hour week, I think.  Anyway, I'm just teasing.

I think Sunderland have had a significant fall from grace, which is always good to see:  they were the last of the original members of the top division to be relegated.

« Reply #321 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:34:09 am »
Ha, yes, Duncan, I know what full-time means "officially" but you'd be hard-pushed to find a pro. putting in a 40-hour week, I think.  Anyway, I'm just teasing.
I know - I think that's a cultural thing rather than anything else.  If you look at US sports, they probably spend considerably more time "watching film" than they do in the gym and at practise and at games combined. Though I guess if you include travel time, footballers (especially those who travel everywhere by coach) might come close with 2 long away trips in a week.

« Reply #322 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:43:35 am »

Halifax are a Phoenix club, so their claim to league football is slightly tenuous, but yeah. There are 3 ex League clubs in the National League North (Kettering, Kidderminster, and York),  I think there are something like 7 ex-premier league clubs in Division 1 as well, so some clubs have had significant falls from grace.

Full-time in sporting terms tends to mean that you don't have to have another job. Lots of the National League N/S players have other jobs as well as playing football.

Pretty sure Darlington used to be in the football league when I used to spend time down at Feethams watching them. ( Despite some false claims, they are not a phoenix club and are the same club as was founded in 1883)

Same as Boston United were in the football league and so were Southport

However, Kettering were never a Football League Club

That excludes the successor clubs like Halifax, Gateshead, Hereford, Bradford (Park Avenue) and Chester who are not the same clubs as were in the Football League

« Reply #323 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:47:45 am »

I think Sunderland have had a significant fall from grace, which is always good to see:  they were the last of the original members of the top division to be relegated.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Sunderland were not one of the original members of the football league

« Reply #324 on: 07 April, 2021, 01:29:52 pm »

Halifax are a Phoenix club, so their claim to league football is slightly tenuous, but yeah. There are 3 ex League clubs in the National League North (Kettering, Kidderminster, and York), I think there are something like 7 ex-premier league clubs in Division 1 as well, so some clubs have had significant falls from grace.

Pretty sure Darlington used to be in the football league when I used to spend time down at Feethams watching them. ( Despite some false claims, they are not a phoenix club and are the same club as was founded in 1883)
Same as Boston United were in the football league and so were Southport
However, Kettering were never a Football League Club
That excludes the successor clubs like Halifax, Gateshead, Hereford, Bradford (Park Avenue) and Chester who are not the same clubs as were in the Football League
Fair enough - I didn't research all of the clubs in National League N (or S), I was just going from memory. Apologies for missing out your team!