Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 82759 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #400 on: 05 August, 2021, 11:17:11 pm »
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/19491963.match-report-southend-united-2-brentford-3/

I noticed the floodlights were on yesterday at non-league Southend's Roots Hall, and this must have been it. They allowed a 2-goal lead v Premiership side Brentford to slip.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #401 on: 22 August, 2021, 12:33:12 am »
Southend win their first match in the National League! 1 - 0 v Kings Lynn.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #402 on: 29 August, 2021, 10:40:00 pm »
Southend win their first match in the National League! 1 - 0 v Kings Lynn.

And Southend lose their second, 1 - 0 to Stockport, for whom *Rooney scored.

*No, not that one. His little brother.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #403 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:19:44 am »
Southend still haven't sunk to their level. Three losses in a row put them near the bottom of the Whatever League.

« Reply #404 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:56:10 am »
Have faith, Southend are only in the National League for a short stay...

... I'm not saying which end of the National League they will escape via

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #405 on: 02 October, 2021, 05:32:47 pm »

The south end, by the looks of it! They are now 21st out of 23 teams, having lost 4 games in a row.

« Reply #406 on: 07 October, 2021, 11:32:42 am »

The south end, by the looks of it! They are now 21st out of 23 teams, having lost 4 games in a row.

yee of little faith.

A glorious win at home to the mighty Eastleigh on Tuesday night has seen Southend Storm up the table  to 18th out of 23 sides and a whole point ahead of the relegation places

Even on current form ( last 5 games) Southend are in 20th place - ie above worst 3 teams

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #407 on: 07 October, 2021, 12:09:16 pm »
As luck would have it, Jan and I were walking home from choir practice and we passed the ground just as that goal was being scored. There seemed to be quite a lot of people in there, and apparently Ron "Weaselly" Martin, the owner, required police protection from angry fans.

Do you know anywhere that publishes the attendances at these non-league games? I'm interested to see what fraction of the 12000 or so available places in the ground are occupied. There's still a planning application open for a >20k stadium.

« Reply #408 on: 07 October, 2021, 01:19:46 pm »
Sorry, Wow, I doubt if there's a page small enough - except possibly in Scotland?

« Reply #409 on: 07 October, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2021-2022/national-league/southend-united/eastleigh/380963

Attendance: 3,342

Sounds pretty good to me but I see you had more than 6,000 v Wrexham for a Saturday game last month.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #410 on: 08 October, 2021, 02:58:10 pm »
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2021-2022/national-league/southend-united/eastleigh/380963

Attendance: 3,342

Sounds pretty good to me but I see you had more than 6,000 v Wrexham for a Saturday game last month.

Lowest attendance this season. Average is currently 5015. 6th highest in non-league, Wrexham are top (so I guess probably brought quite a few to Southend).

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #411 on: 10 October, 2021, 02:11:16 pm »
I think all of those teams with higher attendances than Southend were recently league teams.

Southend were roundly thrashed 4 - 0 at home to Chesterfield (what are they doing outside the league?) and it seems there was a pitch invasion with fans demanding the removal of the owner, Ron Martin. His response was to sack the manager.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58771069

« Reply #412 on: 11 October, 2021, 03:33:58 pm »
.... Chesterfield (what are they doing outside the league?) ....

its what happens when you finish in bottom two teams in League 2.

You finish in bottom two because you have picked up less points than 22 other teams and are deservedly relegated

« Reply #413 on: 13 October, 2021, 11:58:42 am »
Or crookedness. Not that that applies in any way to Chesterfield.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #414 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:23:10 pm »
Or crookedness. Not that that applies in any way to Chesterfield.

Only their church.

« Reply #415 on: 13 October, 2021, 03:03:02 pm »
I think that's what Nuncio meant.  Chesterfield a-spire to greater things and just occasionally they happen: they were surprise semi-finalists in the FA Cup one year.  An even bigger surprise was that they couldn't get past Middlesbrough.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #416 on: 13 October, 2021, 03:51:21 pm »
I think that's what Nuncio meant.  Chesterfield a-spire to greater things and just occasionally they happen: they were surprise semi-finalists in the FA Cup one year.  An even bigger surprise was that they couldn't get past Middlesbrough.

Were it not for a gross error of refereeing, they would have done.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #417 on: 13 October, 2021, 10:29:13 pm »
;D
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #418 on: 23 October, 2021, 01:07:07 pm »
I have netted a slot on Monday to address the Southend Development and Control Committee who will be discussing the plan for a new 21000 seat stadium. I will be opposing the plan.

The current owner, Ron Martin, took complete control of the club in March 2006. Later that year, Southend had a decent league cup run, beating Bournemouth, Brighton, Leeds United, Manchester United and being knocked out 1 - 0 by Tottenham after extra time. They also beat Sunderland 3 - 1 in the league (I was there with My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton) on 19th August, but after that went into a steady decline: Sunderland won the Championship and Southend were relegated to League 1. That decline has continued for 15 years to the extent that Southend are now in serious danger of being relegated yet again to the National League South. There are no footballing reasons for a new stadium.

My main arguments will be environmental: the new stadium is a long way from any housing and railway stations, and people will expect to drive there. That raises another problem: the current stadium is west of the railway, a man-made barrier with limited crossing places that always present traffic problems. The new stadium would be to the east. If at any point Southend ever did attract 21000 supporters to a home match, then the single carriageway road which is the most used route from west to east would be subject to several thousand more cars in the couple of hours before the match was due to start. This single carriageway road is Priory Crescent, the very same road that Southend Council wanted to make dual carriageway 20 years ago and failed in their attempt. "Camp Bling" and the discovery of the Saxon King's remains were all part and parcel of that road scheme. It's a totally bonkers idea.

Then there's the more general environmental stuff: climate change, green belt building and localised air pollution.

Interesting times.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #419 on: 25 October, 2021, 01:19:27 pm »

I think I could be flogging a dead horse tonight...  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #420 on: 25 October, 2021, 08:24:42 pm »
I thought it went really well. Here's my final piece:

Development & Control Committee, 25/10/2021

I oppose this plan for environmental and traffic related reasons.

Roots Hall is the ideal place for a stadium because it is within easy access of residential roads so that many home supporters can walk to games, and away supporters travelling by train have stations within a short walk. Southend has a man-made north-south barrier in the form of the railway with limited crossing points.  Any development to the east of the railway will inevitably cause major traffic issues. The proposed location of this stadium and its associated commercial development would place enormous demands on Priory Crescent and East Street and it is unsuitable in that it is much further from any residential areas. Football supporters would be less likely to walk to games and car use would be increased. Should Southend United ever attract 21000 supporters to a home game, then that would imply that in the two hours leading up to kick-off, many thousands of extra cars would clog up what are already bottlenecks. It was only recently that the opening of the Aldi supermarket in Priory Crescent caused major issues on a Saturday afternoon. Just imagine what would happen if a large football crowd were added to that mix. In fact, it is many years since Southend United regularly drew crowds in excess of 5000 and their current parlous state makes this development unnecessary as Roots Hall can easily cope with double that number. The club has absolutely no need for a stadium any larger than Roots Hall.

Those of us who live on busy roads are already subject to too much traffic noise and pollution. It is unreasonable to increase that. Furthermore, on 19th September 2019, Southend Borough Council declared a climate emergency. Climate change is the overriding issue which should govern every council policy. We saw only last week the dangerous levels of flooding brought about by increasingly frequent heavy downpours. The infrastructure of the town cannot cope with the demands that a changing climate and new developments such as this stadium will place upon it. It’s an unnecessary development in the wrong place and at the wrong time. It runs contrary to public interest and I urge this committee to reject the application.

The club chairman, Ron Martin, was then given 3 minutes to answer my points, and he totally failed to address the issue of the bottlenecks: this is the issue that killed the Priory Crescent Widening Scheme between 15 and 20 years ago, and although he went on to talk about the £15m being thrown at road development, that was all on the roads to the east of the railway and won't address the crossing points.

As I left, after about an hour, I was collared by a camera crew from BBC Look East and did a piece to camera for them. The guy who interviewed me expressed surprise that the public gallery wasn't packed. I think had I said what I said 10 years ago, I might well have been roughed up on the way home.

The meeting is being live streamed and eventually the recording will be made available.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #421 on: 26 October, 2021, 09:20:54 am »
Do they want the capacity for football or for other events: concerts, fairs, expos, conventions, and so on? Where would those events currently be held in Southend?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #422 on: 26 October, 2021, 09:41:30 am »
https://southend.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/608565

My piece from 53 minutes. Ron "Honest" Martin immediately afterwards.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #423 on: 26 October, 2021, 09:42:44 am »
Do they want the capacity for football or for other events: concerts, fairs, expos, conventions, and so on? Where would those events currently be held in Southend?

They hold a lot of events in Priory Park. A week or two ago, for example, was a big "Oktoberfest" beer festival with lots of drunk yoofs wandering around with vomit-encrusted lederhosen.

« Reply #424 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:04:24 am »
Fascinating and ultimately depressing, Peter.  You did a good job but it's obvious from Martin's lazy and contemptuous response that he expects "fupball" to win the day.  "City", indeed.