Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 82754 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #450 on: 29 October, 2021, 04:49:56 pm »
Indeed, it's not about football so it should probably be in P&OBI. But much of what is happening to Southend, in the name of football, indicates how many very powerful tails wag our political dog. I'm sure this is by no means unique to Southend.

In the bowels of P&OBI are threads about Southend Airport and its expansion. A vast amount of public money has been ploughed into this, to the extent that a road has been diverted, a station built, and a runway extended so that Stobart, EasyJet and Ryanair can fly planes out of the airport to new, exciting destinations. And - guess what? Ryanair and Easyjet have both fucked off, leaving the airport with very few passenger flights.

The very strong link between the airport project and the football project is that the driving forces are very dodgy geezers who are no strangers to the inside of courtrooms for the wrong reasons. Yet our council is prepared to humour them and support them in projects which do nothing to enhance the experience of the people who live here - quite the opposite. The significant part of the town's population who are unfortunate to live under the flight path have had their lives blighted by noise, and if the football club gets its way, the two roads I mentioned in my piece to the council will become even more snarled up than they already are, leaving about half the town - the eastern half - having to negotiate ceaseless traffic jams before they can access the rest of the world. 20 years ago I played a reasonably major role in trying to stop the council from widening Priory Crescent to dual carriageway. We were successful, but I'm realistic enough understand that that probably wasn't our doing so much as the council massively underestimating how much the road was going to cost. I shall forever be grateful to Tom Brake, Lib Dem transport spokesman at the time, who stood up in parliament and told the then Sec of State for Transport, Alistair Darling, that it would be the most expensive 800 metres of non-motorway road in the world, and it would be "cheaper to pave it with gold".

That issue was the major talking point in Southend Council for about 10 years, because of the congestion. I have yet to watch the rest of the proceedings of that meeting, but I will be surprised if any of the current councillors give it a mention.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #451 on: 03 November, 2021, 01:07:17 pm »
Southend won a game.

In fact it was a convincing score line 4-1

however, they were playing Dover who are on course to end season still on a negative points total

« Reply #452 on: 07 November, 2021, 11:41:28 am »
See Southend have decided to concentrate on the league and foregone a cup run

« Reply #453 on: 07 November, 2021, 12:04:32 pm »
 ;D

I think Halifax was the place to be for cup football yesterday:-

FC Halifax 7  Maidenhead 4  !

« Reply #454 on: 16 November, 2021, 10:20:08 am »
Another defeat for Southend at the weekend.

« Reply #455 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:30:17 am »
HTGT - it's not going well, is it, though probably according to plan!

Maybe you are going to have to bite the bullet and draw a line under Southend.  I found it surprisingly easy to do when the Arab murderers bought Newcastle.  I ditched decades of supporting my childhood team and now throw my almost non-existent weight behind Rochdale, where I've lived for 40 years and more.  I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't!

All the best

Peter

Maybe Woking might be a better bet?  They seem to be doing ok!

« Reply #456 on: 16 November, 2021, 05:09:41 pm »
HTGT - it's not going well, is it, though probably according to plan!

Maybe you are going to have to bite the bullet and draw a line under Southend.  I found it surprisingly easy to do when the Arab murderers bought Newcastle.  I ditched decades of supporting my childhood team and now throw my almost non-existent weight behind Rochdale, where I've lived for 40 years and more.  I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't!

All the best

Peter

Maybe Woking might be a better bet?  They seem to be doing ok!

I don't follow Southend and never have done.

i'm just a football fan who takes an interest in what's going on across the football fixture

« Reply #457 on: 16 November, 2021, 06:40:47 pm »
OK!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #458 on: 20 November, 2021, 02:54:04 pm »

I had this drawn to my attention recently, demonstrating the dedication of some SUFC supporters. I'm told that the match is San Marino v England.

« Reply #459 on: 25 November, 2021, 10:01:35 am »
Best result on the pitch in a while for Southend on Tuesday night.

Their home game was postponed as visitors had Covid outbreak.

Southend fans seen wandering about dazed & confused as not used to Southend not losing on a matchday

« Reply #460 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:15:24 pm »
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #461 on: 26 November, 2021, 10:06:10 am »
I read that SUFC chairman Ron “Honest” Martin’s court case in respect of allegations that he and another defrauded HMRC of a sum in excess of £5m has been adjourned, with talk of a trial date of May 2023. His co-allegee (is that a word?) is 75. Something tells me this one will run and run…

« Reply #462 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:48:54 pm »
I read that SUFC chairman Ron “Honest” Martin’s court case in respect of allegations that he and another defrauded HMRC of a sum in excess of £5m has been adjourned, with talk of a trial date of May 2023. His co-allegee (is that a word?) is 75. Something tells me this one will run and run…

I think you mean "co-accused"

Case 1st appears at Mags Court and is sent to Crown Court, where a timetable is set - basically when has Crown Court got sufficient time to hear a trial with that time estimate. January 2023 is when the trial date has been set for. That  is not unusual given the current backlogs in court listing

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19735530.southend-united-chairman-ron-martin-court-unpaid-tax-claim/

« Reply #463 on: 13 December, 2021, 01:57:40 pm »
Another defeat for Southend, but they stay out of relegation zone still.

Dover still on -8 points after 19 games. Even if they had not had a 12 point deduction, they would only be on 4 points after 19 games and certain for relegation

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #464 on: 29 December, 2021, 01:35:20 pm »
I went for a walk with My Pal Mel the other day. In the conversation he told me of the occasion that he and his wife toured the Old Trafford stadium, home of the much-vaunted Newton Heath football club, or whatever they call themselves these days.

The old stager showing them round made some comment that MUFC have a plus score against pretty well every team they've ever played, or some such bunkum. Mel said "I know one team who hold a 100% record against Manchester United."

That team is, of course, Saarfend.

« Reply #465 on: 29 December, 2021, 02:01:54 pm »
Clog Gang United lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.  :facepalm:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #466 on: 29 December, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »
As a denizen of Basingstoke (Basingstoke and Deane population 176,000), I look upwards at Southend United FC (Southend population 183,000) from the 8th tier of football to the fifth and aspire to consider playing the heady heights of Dover at some point.  Maybe if we meet in the 7th tier.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #467 on: 20 January, 2022, 12:40:33 pm »
One thing for Southend United fans is that at least they will not suffer the fate of York City in 2016/17 and FC Halifax in 2015/16 in winning the FA Trophy and being relegated from the National League (Conference) in same season.

This is mainly because Southend United lost to Essex rivals Dagenham & Redbridge FC in the FA Trophy 4th Round last Saturday

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #468 on: 21 January, 2022, 09:39:21 pm »
I've just been outside to bring the wheelie bin back into the garden and I heard an enormous shout from the direction of the football ground. It looks - and sounds - as though Southend have just scored the winning goal against King's Lynn, about 5 minutes into injury time.

I saw a lot of people heading towards the ground earlier. Southend are still drawing decent crowds, despite their lowly status.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #469 on: 12 February, 2022, 07:42:15 pm »
Southend seem to be the in-form (as opposed to infirm) team in their division at the moment, having won their last 4 games.

« Reply #470 on: 14 February, 2022, 11:55:28 am »
They do seem to have finally found their feet in this division and relegation is no longer a realistic threat. Should give them a platform to build on for a promotion challenge next season

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #471 on: 15 April, 2022, 07:06:08 pm »
Arising out of the last two posts, I have had a look at the league table for the first time for a while.

Southend have lost their past 5 games.

I was cycling in the opposite direction of a small coterie of on-foot football types this afternoon. One said to me "Which way to the football ground Catweasel?" Makes a change from Santa I suppose.

« Reply #472 on: 16 April, 2022, 12:06:37 pm »
They would be from Wealdstone, which is an anagram of "don't weasel", so I hope you didn't tell them.  (It would be too Harrowing)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #473 on: 04 May, 2022, 08:45:47 am »
"Extreme examples of lower-league teams in huge stadiums and vice versa" proclaims the Graun. But it doesn't mention Southend once!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/04/the-knowledge-extreme-examples-of-lower-league-football-teams-in-huge-stadiums-and-vice-versa
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #474 on: 04 May, 2022, 06:42:10 pm »
Well, it's still the figment of some deranged planner's imagination. It will be years before it comes to fruition - if it ever does.