Author Topic: I've melted my knob off....  (Read 2335 times)

I've melted my knob off....
« on: 30 March, 2014, 12:27:23 pm »
The Trangia kettle ;D

Anybody replaced one that's fire proof? It was that windy yesterday the flames were leaping out of the shield and burnt my plastic knob off.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Re: I've melted my knob off....
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2014, 12:49:56 pm »
Any hardwood such as mahogany or even beech will do the job.
It chars rather than burning if it gets flamed.
 Our forebears used it long before plastic was around. Drill a pilot hole for the fixing screw or it will split the knob.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2014, 02:52:15 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I've fitted a tiny wooden knob that I got from a well known DIY store. It came in a pack of two for £1.99 so I have a spare now too  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »
Sugru.

Good idea Charlotte. If I burn my wooden knob off, that'll be the next trick :thumbsup:

I don't want to get rid of my kettle, it's battered and black but I'm rather attached to it   :facepalm:

Bugloss

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2014, 06:10:37 am »

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »
The wooden knob was starting to blacken a little so I added a wrap of self amalgamating tape, perfect :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2014, 12:18:44 pm »
I'm pleased for you that you have a now-perfect knob :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2014, 12:19:37 pm »
um - that tape is flammable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »
My little knob is now perfect thanks ;D

It's only flammable if you hold it into a flame, so is the original trangia kettle knob and the wooden one I've stuck on. I've tested this silicone tape on my camping pot handles and it's fine, I've used it on them for years. The flames leap up of the meths stoves and don't do anything to it, it's a good insulator to stop your fingers getting singed.

Btw, it's flame retardant.

« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »
Ah - you self 'self-amalgamating tape', by which I thought you meant the rubber stuff. Burns very well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>