Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 248647 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2725 on: 20 November, 2021, 09:56:58 am »
I’ll admit I was surprised by the stops, especially as I only ever got stopped on the way out.
Presumably they could be looking for traces of drugs (how sensitive are those sniffer dogs?) which if detected, they would then let you go and mark you for a search on return. Or they were looking for things like suspicious amounts of cash. Or illicit mid-Channel fishing equipment.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Beardy

• What’s this do?
  • I’ve always wondered where this was
« Reply #2726 on: 21 November, 2021, 10:58:35 am »
Accompanying Dr Beardy (Mrs) on a Christmas shopping trip to the cathedral of expensive tat that is as ape Maltings. Yea.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #2727 on: 21 November, 2021, 01:35:25 pm »

Presumably they could be looking for traces of drugs (how sensitive are those sniffer dogs?) which if detected, they would then let you go and mark you for a search on return. Or they were looking for things like suspicious amounts of cash. Or illicit mid-Channel fishing equipment.

Apparently the dogs are trained by being rewarded with a treat every time they detect the presence of drugs. So regardless of how sensitive they are, there's a distinct chance of a false positive from the dog if it happens to be in the mood for a bite to eat.

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #2728 on: 21 November, 2021, 02:54:57 pm »
But do they get the treat for "detecting" or only when a subsequent search by humans confirms the presence of drugs? Either way, Beardy only reports being searched, not that the dog found anything. Of course he could just be keeping quiet about that part...
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #2729 on: 21 November, 2021, 03:19:25 pm »
How do you objectively value something like that anyway? If she'd declared the value as £385, you wouldn't have got the hit.
No, VAT is payable on gifts over £39 and Duty (Where applicable) over £135
The £390 personal allowance only applies to those items you personally import, as in bring back with you.

Beardy

• What’s this do?
  • I’ve always wondered where this was
« Reply #2730 on: 21 November, 2021, 03:37:51 pm »
But do they get the treat for "detecting" or only when a subsequent search by humans confirms the presence of drugs? Either way, Beardy only reports being searched, not that the dog found anything. Of course he could just be keeping quiet about that part...
To be honest, given the state of the car1 and my complete lack of knowledge of its provenance I’m suprised that the dog did find nothing at all. It really was quite a dodgy vehicle. Whilst I watched the most amusing thing to me was when the handler picked the dog up and plonked it on the roof for a good old sniff at the roof bars.   :)

1. To give you an idea of just how bad it was, when I bought my first Previa less than six months later I gave the car away. I’m not sure I’d have got a scrapyard to even come and pick it up. I’m
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2731 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:59:52 am »
I am still failing to master the correct sequence of button-jibbling on the replacement remote control for the Great Hall's A/V amplifier, that I might make it forget about the existence of “Zone 2” and realise that all the loudsquaekers connected to it are in the same room.  I've even R'd TFM :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime