Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 337408 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2725 on: 21 November, 2021, 01:35:25 pm »

Presumably they could be looking for traces of drugs (how sensitive are those sniffer dogs?) which if detected, they would then let you go and mark you for a search on return. Or they were looking for things like suspicious amounts of cash. Or illicit mid-Channel fishing equipment.

Apparently the dogs are trained by being rewarded with a treat every time they detect the presence of drugs. So regardless of how sensitive they are, there's a distinct chance of a false positive from the dog if it happens to be in the mood for a bite to eat.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2726 on: 21 November, 2021, 02:54:57 pm »
But do they get the treat for "detecting" or only when a subsequent search by humans confirms the presence of drugs? Either way, Beardy only reports being searched, not that the dog found anything. Of course he could just be keeping quiet about that part...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2727 on: 21 November, 2021, 03:19:25 pm »
How do you objectively value something like that anyway? If she'd declared the value as £385, you wouldn't have got the hit.
No, VAT is payable on gifts over £39 and Duty (Where applicable) over £135
The £390 personal allowance only applies to those items you personally import, as in bring back with you.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2728 on: 21 November, 2021, 03:37:51 pm »
But do they get the treat for "detecting" or only when a subsequent search by humans confirms the presence of drugs? Either way, Beardy only reports being searched, not that the dog found anything. Of course he could just be keeping quiet about that part...
To be honest, given the state of the car1 and my complete lack of knowledge of its provenance I’m suprised that the dog did find nothing at all. It really was quite a dodgy vehicle. Whilst I watched the most amusing thing to me was when the handler picked the dog up and plonked it on the roof for a good old sniff at the roof bars.   :)

1. To give you an idea of just how bad it was, when I bought my first Previa less than six months later I gave the car away. I’m not sure I’d have got a scrapyard to even come and pick it up. I’m
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2729 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:59:52 am »
I am still failing to master the correct sequence of button-jibbling on the replacement remote control for the Great Hall's A/V amplifier, that I might make it forget about the existence of “Zone 2” and realise that all the loudsquaekers connected to it are in the same room.  I've even R'd TFM :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2730 on: 17 December, 2021, 05:25:04 pm »
The Nespresso app borked on me. It refused to let me checkout and I had to log onto their website to checkout. Fortunately their webby science and their app work together and the items I had put in my ‘basket’ on the app were also in my basket on their webby science when I logged in.

However, by completing my order on the webby science, my coffee machine doesn’t know I’ve ordered more poduals and will continue to whinge that we are running out when the jar on the shelf is full.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2731 on: 17 December, 2021, 08:26:27 pm »
Slightly worrying e-mail arrived in the Inbox of Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) earlier.  A delivery of festive nommables to Fort Larrington, scheduled for Xmas eve, has been cancelled.  I do not know whether this means Xmo itself is off, or that Professor Larrington has sourced said toothy comestibles elsewhere, or that the supplier has fscked things up ???

Now I'll have to phone her and find out chiz.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

« Reply #2734 on: 17 December, 2021, 09:18:05 pm »
Farmdrop?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/17/online-grocer-farmdrop-goes-bust-cancels-christmas-deliveries

Yes.  Bugger >:(

I had one of those emails earlier.

Arsebiscuits.

(They've been really good the past few Xmases too, but I've only ever actually used them at Xmas, which is presumably part of their problem.

Meantime, anyone know where I can find a couple of racks of venison for delivery to London before Monday, or to Edinburgh before Xmas?)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2735 on: 18 December, 2021, 12:08:50 am »
Donald Russell?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2736 on: 18 December, 2021, 12:56:31 am »
Richmond Park tonight?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2737 on: 18 December, 2021, 04:02:07 pm »
Meantime, anyone know where I can find a couple of racks of venison for delivery to London before Monday, or to Edinburgh before Xmas?)
https://deerbox.co.uk
They were saying last orders on Wednesday for delivery by Christmas in a recent email
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2738 on: 18 December, 2021, 06:19:05 pm »
Donald Russell?

Out of stock (but a useful reminder about them).

Richmond Park tonight?

Greenwich Park is closer ...

https://deerbox.co.uk
They were saying last orders on Wednesday for delivery by Christmas in a recent email

The winner, and *very* much appreciated, especially after trying a couple of different butchers and the local farmers' market this morning ...

I fear you may have started an expensive habit though.

« Reply #2739 on: 18 December, 2021, 06:23:33 pm »
I fear you may have started an expensive habit though.
Yeah, there is that side effect. We have managed to limit ourselves to two orders.
The sausages and burgers are rather good though...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2740 on: 18 December, 2021, 06:49:32 pm »
I may have crept over the threshold for free delivery ...

I think that's going to be quite a lot of venison - though only one pack of sausages. Glad to see it comes frozen.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2741 on: 18 December, 2021, 08:09:41 pm »
Professor Larrington has managed to source a replacement goose haha from “Henry of Hooky” but we’re still confuzzled about whether we're getting a enormous lump of  smoked salmon from Brexit-backing bastards Forman & Field or whether she’s going to have to cross her fingers and rely on Waitrose in Banbury.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2742 on: 18 December, 2021, 09:03:34 pm »
Molish your own, as I did last year, when Sainsbury's had none in stock for my Christmas order last year.
They also had no mincemeat.
(This year, I've been unable to get raisins for MONTHS and there's no mixed dried fruit, though there might be mincemeat.)

Cobbled something with JusRol and 'mince' I'd made by microwaving loadsa sugar and whatever dried fruit I could find, together.
Also did cranberry & citrus.

Result was tons better than anything we could have bought.

Suggest you grease your pie tins with butter; makes a HUGE difference!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2743 on: 19 December, 2021, 10:57:30 am »
Smoked salmon shall be forthcoming from Brexit-backing bastards Forman & Field after all.  Crimble is saved!  Huzzah :thumbsup:

Now watch Bloody Stupid Johnson cancel it again.

« Reply #2744 on: 19 December, 2021, 12:04:06 pm »
Cherry liquers seem to be in short supply this year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2745 on: 19 December, 2021, 12:25:12 pm »
Joak about maiden aunts going on the endangered species list goes here ==>

« Reply #2746 on: 19 December, 2021, 03:04:01 pm »
and.....surprisingly enough. Dried peas.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2747 on: 19 December, 2021, 03:41:33 pm »
(This year, I've been unable to get raisins for MONTHS and there's no mixed dried fruit, though there might be mincemeat.)

:o

Our local Aldi gets a brand called Trader Joe. They're American so I'd expect the UK to have them.  I don't like them, though - they add too much oil.  Super U's own brands are much better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2748 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:46:13 am »
:o
Our local Aldi gets a brand called Trader Joe. They're American so I'd expect the UK to have them.  I don't like them, though - they add too much oil.  Super U's own brands are much better.

Mum offered me a pack of raisins today, which I declined. They'd come from a local Tesco.
Sainsbury is listing 1kg bags again.

I have ordered.

It seems to be a seasonal issue.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2749 on: 20 December, 2021, 10:58:01 am »
and.....surprisingly enough. Dried peas.
Yes, I've been unable to get them too.
There's no vibrations, but wait.