Author Topic: 'oliday in the 'ighlands - suggestions and recommendations?  (Read 1475 times)

'oliday in the 'ighlands - suggestions and recommendations?
« on: 16 January, 2014, 09:53:38 pm »
Contemplating the Highlands for May Half term - end of May - I've not been up for more years than I care to remember, when I was either camping it or staying in a rather exclusive timeshare in Ballater (well it would be, wouldn't it), Mrs Ham has never visited Scotland except for Edinburgh once, by mistake. I'm thinking May should be early enough to avoid the worst of the midges, any view?

It's going to be walking and driving rather than cycling :(  - Looking for suggestions for itineraries and places to stay, don't want to spend too much time in the car, but I suspect that it will be a little inevitable. Can't decide whether to stick to West coast for the rugged or the east for the possibly better weather.

Thoughts?

Re: 'oliday in the 'ighlands - suggestions and recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:04:34 pm »
If you get the weather the west is amazing

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:46:17 pm »
Skye. Plenty of nice walks, distilleries etc. Ratagan and the Brochs.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:49:41 pm »
Skye. Plenty of nice walks, distilleries etc. Ratagan and the Brochs.

..d

:thumbsup:  great for walking and tasting

You could park up and do a bit of island hopping or catch a few car ferries.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »
If you are going to ferry, look at an Island Hopper Hopscotch ticket, or whatever it is called now.

No midges in May, lots of light and can be very warm.

If you are looking at the Quite Far NW let me know, I may be up there around then.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:25:12 pm »
I have quite a few 1" OS maps around the area. The newest is dated 1988..... With hindsight I wish I was one of those messy buggers who write on maps. I know they are in good condition, but I can't remember anything....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2014, 09:34:03 am »
I'd recommend Skye as well. However, I think David Martin is wrong when he says "distilleries" plural. I think there's just the one on Skye, but being Talisker it is most definitely to be sniffed at, sipped and consumed with great relish.

We stayed at a number of B & Bs in Skye. Our ride report is here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28668.50

Edit: if this coming May is like last May 2012, you are in for a sweltering time. NW Scotland had some fantastic weather with the temperature soaring towards 80°F. We went in early June when it was still sunny but not so warm.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/ukmapavge.html is an interesting resource. If you click on "Sunshine" and "May" you will see how well W. Scotland fares in that respect. Compared it to July and August and you soon realise the best time to go to Scotland!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2014, 07:53:31 pm »
bobb and I went to Skye 2 years ago and we loved it, even though the weather was pish and everywhere was shut.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:41:08 pm »
Places to stay - my favourite west coast hotel is the Prince's House in Glenfinnan. Nice rooms, great food and run by a friendly family. http://www.glenfinnan.co.uk/

You can see quite a lot of Scotland in a few days. Here's an itinery that we did a couple of years' ago when an American friend came for a short stay.

Day 1 - Drive from Glasgow up to Inverary. Tour Inverary Castle and the grounds - fantastic view if you walk up the wee hill to the folly. Lunch in the Castle café. Drive up from Inverary via Loch Awe and Benderloch to the Corran Ferry. Take the ferry (about 10 minutes and a couple of quid, no booking required) then follow the single track road North up the side of Loch Linnhe, round Loch Eil then on to Glenfinnan. Advantage of crossing over is that you get a cracking view of Ben Nevis and a lovely wee road.

Day 2 - After mooching about at the Glenfinnan memorial and admiring the "Hogwarts Express" Viaduct head to Morar and enjoy a walk along the beach. Then to Mallaig for the ferry to Skye. Crossing takes about half an hour and has lovely views. Drive round Skye to the new bridge and then pop into Plockton. Probably the prettiest village on the West Coast. From there head to Eilean Donan Castle, aiming to arrive late afternoon after all the many tour coaches have departed. Evening of Day 2 in the Invergarry Hotel.

Day 3 - From Invergarry head down to Spean Bridge then along past Loch Laggan to Dalwhinnie. Good distillery tour there if you fancy a look round. Back down to Glasgow via Perth and the A9.

Obviously a very car based trip but might give you some ideas for the trip up/down if you're going to Skye.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:54:46 am »
If you are heading back down the A9 in May or October then divert off at Dunkeld and come back via the sma' glen and Buchanty Spout to see the salmon leap.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2014, 10:37:48 am »
If you have the time think about going further north. There are stunning views in all weathers and very few people around which is a bonus. Mostly single track roads but that all adds to the fun.

Midgies.... they can be around in May if it is a wet spring. I would suggest that at the moment that is very likely.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.