Author Topic: photos of lightweight set up please.  (Read 18487 times)

Re: photos of lightweight set up please.
« Reply #100 on: 30 January, 2014, 02:21:08 pm »
I'm looking for the lightest weight gear possible for two people.  I'm aiming to pack it in a bar bag + saddlebag + top of rack (i.e. no panniers).  Any suggestions please?
Lightest possible is, as ever, expensive.
Suggestions (at a relatively sensible price range):

Tent: Terra Nova Laser Photon 2  935g
Sleeping bags: PHD Minimus  495g
Mats: Thermarest Neoair xlite short
Cooking: eat out? If you do cook, it's a toss-up between light gas, and a lightweight meths setup (DIY or Caldera Cone). The savings in weight on meths stoves and fuel bottles are lost because they burn double the weight of fuel.

A standard Carradice saddlebag is relatively heavy - you could look at strapping on a drybag in its place, possibly stiffened with correx (estate agent signboard stuff), or use closed cell foam mats instead and line the drybag with them.

« Reply #101 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:18:32 pm »
For a ride from Santander to home in 2011 my cycling friend used his Titanium bike loaded only at the back but the bike didn't handle at all well.

If I'm carrying that amount of kit it's in four panniers as well. IMO it would be silly not to.
It would be equally silly to spread what I usually carry for a couple of weeks any more than I have here

What panniers and rack are you using there? I like the look of that set-up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #102 on: 31 January, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
Well, they look like Ortlieb panniers.  And the stays make me think that may be a Tubus rack.
Getting there...

« Reply #103 on: 31 January, 2014, 02:36:09 pm »
don't you find that big triangular thing creates a lot of wind resistance?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #104 on: 31 January, 2014, 02:43:27 pm »
Much of it is behind the rider, so perhaps it provides a sort of Kamm tail effect.
Getting there...

« Reply #105 on: 31 January, 2014, 08:56:02 pm »
Well, they look like Ortlieb panniers.  And the stays make me think that may be a Tubus rack.

It was the specific model that interested me. They look like front paniers being run at the back. Has anyone here tried touring using the City roller front panniers at the back for example?
This would give you 25litres capacity in a very compact format.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 01 February, 2014, 12:13:22 am »
Look like front roller classics to me.

A pair of front rollers is an excellent amount of luggage for touring when you don't need camping kit.  25 litres is a good capacity, and it's split in two so you can keep wet and dry things separate.  Front rollers are also good for walking around with in shoulder strap mode.

It's also a luggage solution that you have available for day rides if you've set up camp in a heavyweight four-pannier style.  If you're going to do this, you ideally want a bike that's been cleverly designed so the front rack uses the same pannier hook positions as the back, or the 'plus' version of the Ortlieb panniers with the new quick-adjust fixings.

PH

« Reply #107 on: 02 February, 2014, 10:06:45 pm »
What panniers and rack are you using there? I like the look of that set-up.

The Panniers are as others have spotted Ortlieb Front roller Classics, the Rack a Tubus stainless steel cosmos (Good price from one of the german dealers, Rose?)
it isn't a astoundingly lightweight set up, my posting was more to show that four panniers are not always needed.  Total luggage capacity comes to 54ltr , not including the tent poles on the rack.  What it does is give a lot of flexibility, on a short trip I leave the stuff sacks and put the tent in one of the panniers, the bar bag doesn't always get used and the saddlebag usually only has in it what I'd carry on a day ride, so plenty of room for shopping.
Panniers 25ltr
Carradice 11ltr
2 x Alpkit stuff sacks 10ltr
Vaude bar bag 8ltr

« Reply #108 on: 07 February, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »
it's a fantastic set up for sure and the bike ain't half bad either.
something to aim for me thinks.
is that set up for a few days or a few weeks touring.
any more photos to share. :thumbsup:

PH

« Reply #109 on: 07 February, 2014, 11:01:09 pm »

is that set up for a few days or a few weeks touring.
any more photos to share. :thumbsup:

My kit depends more on where I'm going than for how long. Once I'm going for more than a couple of nights, the kit is about the same, though I vary how much cooking stuff I take depending on the tour.  This photo is from a three week France/Spain summer tour.

« Reply #110 on: 08 February, 2014, 02:13:50 pm »
Pure Class no other word for it. :thumbsup:
i was thinking  about my new frame that i might add the  barley and rack as well as rear  panniers.so my set up wont be a million miles away from yours.
do you mind me asking what way have your panniers ans carradice packed what goes where ::-)
always ask an expert.
thanks for posting i'm more than very impressed with your set up.

cheers
Anto.

PH

« Reply #111 on: 08 February, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »
Pure Class no other word for it. :thumbsup:
i was thinking  about my new frame that i might add the  barley and rack as well as rear  panniers.so my set up wont be a million miles away from yours.
do you mind me asking what way have your panniers ans carradice packed what goes where ::-)
always ask an expert.
thanks for posting i'm more than very impressed with your set up.

cheers
Anto.

Pannier 1- Bedding (Exped, sheet, quilt, pillow) Book, Radio, off bike wear if I take any - stuffsack with inner tent on top*
Pannier 2 - Cycling clothes, washkit, towel (if dry) Jetboil, bowl - Stuffsack with outer tent on top*
Carradice** - Anything I might need in the day - waterproof, gloves, overshoes, first aid kit, bike kit, lock, footwear (If taken), food.  The only time this is really full is when I've been to the supermarket
Bar bag - camera & lenses, wallet, other valuables

* These go in the pannier if I'm carrying less kit.
** I changed this recently from a Pendle to a Nelson Longflap, not for camping reasons but because the extra space is useful when commuting.

The idea is that the panniers don't need to be opened from one campsite to the next. which also means I can drop the panniers off and know I still have everything I might need for a day ride, without having to re pack.  This has been pretty consistent for the last 5 years, it took me a decade to refine it and it's right for me. I make no claim that it might be right for anyone else ;)

« Reply #112 on: 08 February, 2014, 07:34:45 pm »
sounds great to me i'm just gonna get a pen and copy that info down.
Thanks PH great info much appreciated ;)

« Reply #113 on: 25 June, 2014, 09:09:30 pm »
adenough can i ask what model is that raleigh, is it 531. i'm riding a 753 but i wouldn't think it will take rear panniers.
Apologies for not getting back. I don't get e-mail notifications for some reason.
It's an early 90s Royal. 531 throughout. Takes front and rear panniers. And a big fat guy. ;)
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/