Author Topic: Sh!te courier thread  (Read 143296 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Sh!te courier thread
« Reply #600 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:05:08 am »
As an aside to all the comments on courier firms . . . .  I wonder if there has been a growth in "customer fraud" since March 2020 when pretty much every delivery went signature-free?  Have people, dishonestly, denied receipt of goods?

Pre-pandemic I understand that quite a lot of merchants had demographic/postcode driven decisions on whether they woud deliver signature required or signature free.

I would add that having had a LOT of stuff delivered - we moved house a couple of weeks before the first lockdown and had loads of stuff to buy from about 4 white goods items through timber and down to packets of screws - with minimal issues . . .  but then, of course, we were here pretty much all the time.

« Reply #601 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:25:25 pm »
The islands have a special, unique courier service. 'Woodies'.

They have a warehouse in Inverness and the way to get a lot of goods is to have them shipped to Woodies Inverness warehouse, then pay Woodies to bring it to you.

They are excellent at finding your address. They are also excellent at throwing, stamping, chucking and leaving out in the rain.

A sofa arrived, wet. Cardboard soaked through, the cardboard was ripped and so was the heavy plastic inside. Sofa wet (fortunately dried out). This wasn't a drip, oh no, this was a lovely sustained soaking.

Who gives a crap? That arrived soaked. In beer. It has survived, sort of, although we now have beer-scented toilet rolls.

I bought an office chair. One castor smashed off, the leg of the chair was damaged (copious use of epoxy and string has fixed it).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #602 on: 03 June, 2021, 01:50:27 pm »
Today's fun

Parcel one: Get email update that the estimated delivery time would be tomorrow. 20min later, knock knock, open door, see driver legging it and said parcel at my feet.

Parcel two: Get email update that I would get it today between 9:32am and 12:32pm. It's now 1:50pm and no sign of said parcel.

Parcel three: No tracking other that the seller saying that it was shipped yesterday. But the sister company of the company should be delivering Parcel two, arrived about 2 hours ago and delivered it. The driver said sorry only one parcel for you today, could be the Royal sister delivering Parcel two
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #603 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:43:13 am »
Amazon man asks "Can you take a parcel for your neighbour?"
I reply, "Yes, but he's standing there".
I point to Terry at the end of my street. Terry sees the amazon van and waves.
Amazon man gets back in van and drives off.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #604 on: 05 June, 2021, 11:48:54 pm »
Was it for Terry? Did Terry receive it? We need to know!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #605 on: 06 June, 2021, 11:57:04 am »
No the driver drove straight past Terry and disappeared up the road.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #606 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:09:40 pm »

Gods'n'fishes...

Hermes - How bad does it have to be for you to say "Yup, that's bolloxed..."?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #607 on: 19 June, 2021, 02:51:42 pm »
Parcel2Go/Hermes brainlessness . . .

I bought a custom made item from China (about £15) - they sent my item to bloke in Wales and I got his - OK mistakes happen - they organised for me to send to Wales and vice versa (paying the carriage cost by way of a refund) - my parcel went and was delivered.

The bloke in Wales sent mine BUT got the number/street/town correct but not the postcode .... mine is CV...  he put SP.. on the parcel.    OK mistakes happen, but that does seem a bit dumb.  It was sent via consolidator/front-end Parcel2Go using Hermes.

No delivery as the system found "no such address" with the postcode.  How much brainpower does it take to see the name of the town and to take 10 seconds to look up the correct postcode???    It's something Royal Mail does as a matter of course - simples.

Package tracking is now saying nothing and the bloke in Wales has had his claim closed - meanwhile a replacement is on its way from China.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #608 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:19:06 pm »
A Facebook friend had some meal ingredients delivered courtesy of Alpine vocal technique.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #609 on: 07 July, 2021, 09:20:21 am »
Well, this is a bit bizarre and might actually end in a successful delivery, but…

I’m expecting a parcel from Germany and the supplier informed my on Monday that they’d contacted DHL.de that it was ready for shipment. DHL.de then informed me that they’d been contacted and have kept me informed of the parcel’s (timely) progress. So far so normal.

This morning I have received a text from Parcel Farce that tye will be delivering a parcel from ‘German’  ??? I’m expecting a delivery from a supplier in Germany, but ‘German’? A quick perusal of the tracking details on both sites suggest it might be the same parcel, but there is no common reference number between the two systems, and although the dates are the same the timings are not. Both companies refer to ‘local’ delivery agents, but neither mentions the other by name.

I know from personal experience that ‘token’ handover between IT systems is hard, but retaining a common reference is crucial, especially for customer updates. Idiots.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #610 on: 07 July, 2021, 09:25:43 am »
I haz a parcel en route with Yodel.  If they repeat their performance of last year and make no attempt to deliver it first time round I will Have Words with the supplier*, on account of paying a fair bit extra for next-day delivery…

* Ebuyer
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #611 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:47:29 am »
Herpes seem to have destroyed a Brooks saddle I sold.  I paid for full insurance but the T&Cs say you must use a NEW cardboard box and I used a shoe box.  I do hope they don't try to wriggle out of it on that basis.  Who uses a new box for every eBay sale?

They once destroyed a handlebar and stem.  They looked as if they had been (literally) run over by a truck, possibly a forklift.  Crushed and obviously dragged some distance along a hard floor.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #612 on: 23 July, 2021, 01:33:31 pm »
I now refuse to buy from anyone who says they use UPS unless they PROMISE to use a different carrier.  Too many things lost,damaged or delayed.
Advena ego sum in Terra

rogerzilla

« Reply #613 on: 23 July, 2021, 01:57:35 pm »
I've been using Herpes because RM has been totally dysfunctional during the pandemic.  Plus, post office queues and surly, patronising service.  Easier to drop off at the Co-Op next door.

« Reply #614 on: 23 July, 2021, 07:30:33 pm »
Hermes again! Ignoring requests to leave parcel OUT OF SIGHT IN THE PORCH. Instead, they just
leave it on the front doorstep and upload a photo taken of it there. >:(

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #615 on: 24 July, 2021, 11:17:50 pm »
Dynashite, or the three letter equivalent, managed to deliver a 30k bit of kit to the work, in a bashed box, upside down...
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #616 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:42:01 pm »
Herpes supposed to deliver a package between 2pm and 4pm today, so I stayed in all afternoon, in the front room so I could spot any not bothering to ring the bell, throw parcel towards front door and run away behaviour. No-one visited. Email at 16:04 to say they'll now deliver between 4pm and 6pm. Further email at 16:17 to say local courier has delivered the parcel at 16:16 and left it in our front porch (which we don't have), with a photo of someone else's front door. Piss poor service, and I don't know when or whether I'll get my £56 worth of goods.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #617 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:48:48 pm »

Ordered some really useful boxes, 6 of them, delivered on a pallet.

4 are in fine. The other two look like:

I rejected them, and have requested they send replacements.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rogerzilla

« Reply #618 on: 28 July, 2021, 04:12:53 pm »
Hermes declared the saddle lost and issued a claims code to Packlink.  I refunded the buyer and completed a claim yesterday.

Today, Hermes delivered the saddle to the buyer  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Luckily, he seems decent enough and will pay me for it or send it back (depending on whether it's actually been trashed).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #619 on: 03 August, 2021, 12:07:52 am »

Earlier on I had a little rant on twitter about postNL being shit:

Am really disappointed with how slow @PostNL are. Having paid the import fees/BTW for my package on Thursday, the package has yet to get out of customs and move towards delivery. I don't understand how they can be so slow. Their process needs dramatic improvement.

To their credit they did respond:

With the new rules set up by EU is it very busy at customs clearence. We shall improve as quick as possible.

Trying the classic "blame it on the EU" line with a Brit who escaped the country cos of Brexit seems... foolish.

My reply:

You had over 2 years notice it was happening, and then it was delayed by 6 months due to covid. We knew this was coming. It's shockingly bad planning to not be prepared when you have this much notice.

I've known this was happening since last year. I've told people about it on here, I've posted about it on twitter, I've talked to suppliers I use over seas to make sure they were ready. I'm just a geek who buys too much from all over. You'd think the primary postal company for the Netherlands would have known it was coming enough to be prepared to deal with it. In a tweet last week they suggested it would take 7 days for my parcel to get from customs to my door. After I paid. I do not understand how it can be that slow. That is just bad process design.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #620 on: 11 August, 2021, 01:44:17 pm »
Friend in Sweden needed some stuff from a UK shop on Amazon that didn't ship to Sweden. Getting it from China would be 8-10 weeks at least. So I offered to get the parcel and then send it over to him.

1st parcel, just normal first class international, 3-5 days according to Royal Mail. 3 weeks later nothing.

2st parcel (because it item isn't that expensive), this time with international tracked first class - with champagne, foot massage and eye mask- 3-5 days. Royal Mail said on their tracker that the parcel had left the UK for Sweden on day 2. They also let Post Nord know that there was something coming their way, which Post Nord that evening acknowledged on their tracking page. Now, on day 10 of the saga, Post Nord and Royal Mail both agree that the parcel have landed in Sweden. But Customs got hold of the item and not further information.

Swedish friend is telling me that the Swedish postal service have gone tits up over the last few years. New rules both from government and how the Post Nord are handling goodies etc have just turned the option of sending something with the postal service in to a lottery.

So we are still waiting to see if he ever gets the item. I'm just happy that I didn't do as I was thinking about sending something to him as a little gift in the parcel.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #621 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:05:43 pm »
Update:

Royal Mail: Our delivery partner tried to deliver your parcel on 11-08-2021 but there didn't seem to be anyone in. They've left a note about how to make further arrangements.

Post Nord : The shipment item will be returned. (note, friend have been home all day and no posty have come to his door)

Friend asked the post office erm what is going on? They said - "The package was not declared right on your part... It didn't say Electronic Parts and had no value." Which I did.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #622 on: 13 August, 2021, 07:28:28 pm »
Update :

Royal Mail Thursday 12 August 2021 17:47 Item Leaving the UK United Kingdom. Your item is now leaving the UK. More information will be available when it arrives in the destination country.

Post Nord: Yesterday 17:47 SE The transport of the shipment item has started in the country of the sender.

Eh?!?!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #623 on: 13 August, 2021, 09:52:09 pm »
The courier whomever they might have been (Hermes I think) squashed the box and chipped the contained platter sent to the boy as a wedding present. He was already away, so I took it upon myself to take it to the local branch of John Lewis from whom it had been purchased. The only complication was whether the lady behind the Perspex screen put it through as an internet purchase or as a shop purchase. I said I didn’t care which she took on board and when she came across an issue in the process she declared “I’ll sort that out later. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Shite courier. Excellent customer service from retailer. It’s a shame they used the shite courier though.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #624 on: 17 August, 2021, 11:38:13 am »
Update: First parcel arrived ... a month later ... here at my house.