Author Topic: CLASH OF THE TITANS  (Read 14328 times)

Re: CLASH OF THE TITANS
« Reply #100 on: 21 September, 2014, 11:46:34 am »
That was a lot of fun - thanks to ACB for the challenge. Always good to try something different - my first audax on fixed, my first group DIY and my first dressed as IKB (partially - we'll have to reschedule it for the middle of winter if I'm going to survive wearing that). Our start photo is here: https://www.facebook.com/AudaxClubHackney/photos/a.448433978578285.1073741828.448323528589330/712040668884280/?type=1&theater

Highlight me for was bonking just 5k from Newbury on the return. I stopped and was reduced to attempting to unwrap and eat my chocolate cigar, at which point a paramedic pulled up with an ambulance in tow. Fortunately too dark to see what appeared to be an act of madness, he was just concerned that I had come off my bike as I lay prone by the roadside. Assuring him I was fine and just steeling myself to the delights of MacDonalds at 2am, he then departed (but not before the obligatory audaxlubber questions: where have you come from/going to/how far/etc).
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #101 on: 21 September, 2014, 11:52:53 am »
Esprit de corps  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #102 on: 21 September, 2014, 02:04:39 pm »
Bunch of fecking  weirdos.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #103 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:43:24 pm »
What a great ride in fabulous company. My thanks go to Lordy who organised this event so efficiently and effectively (to the point of getting us all to meet up twice in Newbury), and to the ACB team; it was marvellous riding with you all, including hydro-management, irm-speed, etc. My admiration goes to RegT who rode the whole distance on a very old, very heavy and no doubt not terribly comfortable bike - and was still bl... fast! It was good to meet the ACH lads - next time I expect a woman on your team, too  ;)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #104 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:46:44 pm »
Well done all - I did 677.8 kms Friday to Sunday, all over the place, but would rather have been with you !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #105 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:40:45 am »
The two teams met - amicably - for lunch in Newbury. No doubt the calming influence of MattC who cycled down from Didcot.
Tim (ACH) set off guiding ACB East, Cudzo guiding ACH westwards.

Not sure how the points are looking. Bristol have more riders and RegT's vintage bike, Hackney have more beards, fixies and Isambard Kingdom Brunel on the team (until he left the pub and stripped to his lycra).

Some light rain in Wiltshire but sunny in Bristol now. Good luck all!
That was the intention, but as for what actually happened... I'll just say for now that I had a great day, it was good to meet and ride with old and new faces, and if ACH did get lost in Bristol, they have only themselves to blame (specially as it turns out one of them weekends behind the BRI!!!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #106 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:59:21 am »
(specially as it turns out one of them weekends behind the BRI!!!)

Is that a euphemism?

From the photos and so on, this looks to have been a great success. Well done all and hopefully they have been able to mop up the blood in Newbury just fine. Chapeau all
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #107 on: 22 September, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »
Didn't see any blood, but there was some pretty lairy behaviour in Newbury McD's when we were all there at 2am(ish).

(Not from any of the Titans though)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #108 on: 22 September, 2014, 12:23:03 pm »
Your bike seemed to made of iron oxide, Reg, so it would have been handy if anyone had needed a blood transfusion!

(specially as it turns out one of them weekends behind the BRI!!!)

Is that a euphemism?
I understand they're quite broadminded about this sort of thing in Hackney.

They don't object to their members having partners in Bristol, as they have to recognise it's the superior city.

(Seriously, it seems one of the ACH guys is to be found in the Hillgrove pub in Brizzle on a Sunday afternoon!)

« Reply #109 on: 23 September, 2014, 09:04:50 am »
I'm delighted to have had a small part in this brilliant enterprise!
Big congrats to Lordy on setting it all up, and to everyone for making it so good.

I've heard from about half the riders so far (with gpx files, and/or receipts, and/or photos.... all ok). Not being very prompt (sorry) about getting the results up, but they should be there before long...

« Reply #110 on: 23 September, 2014, 11:43:34 am »
That was the intention, but as for what actually happened... I'll just say for now that I had a great day, it was good to meet and ride with old and new faces, and if ACH did get lost in Bristol, they have only themselves to blame (specially as it turns out one of them weekends behind the BRI!!!)

That would be me. Most of my time is spent pounding the roads of east and south London,  mind you.

I did wonder where you got to - Gian and Adam were setting a fair pace for the leg to Chippenham and we regrouped there. All a good laugh and good company, although the A roads did lead to a few traffic irritations and it was a shame John had to pack. Hopefully I'll be up for the 400k version next time.

« Reply #111 on: 25 September, 2014, 07:25:17 pm »
The results are in.....

The points were ACB - 80pts vs ACH - 60pts and therefore ACB win the inaugural BVB trophy.

The trophy will be presented next week to the highest scorer on the winning team.... RegT, who rode the full 400km on his dad's 70 year old, sit-up-and-beg bike, I'll let others post photos of the bike.

For those who are in the slightest bit bothered (and not fed up with this thread yet), I have broken some of the points down

Fixed ACH won 5-3
Beards ACH won 7-2
Celebrity bike ACB won 1-0
fancy dress ACH won 2-0 (well RideHard was half/half)

However, the individual award for the highest points scorer, goes to Ivan (ACH), who rode the full 400km on fixed, dress up as IKB, scoring a massive 19 points (again, worth looking at the 2 club websites for photos).

That's it now until the rematch.

« Reply #112 on: 25 September, 2014, 07:39:59 pm »
Thanks Lordy for the excellent organisation and working out the points.
I'll be there again for the re-match - a whole year to grow a beard.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #113 on: 25 September, 2014, 08:21:12 pm »
Thanks Lordy for the excellent organisation and working out the points.
I'll be there again for the re-match - a whole year to grow a beard.

and a whole year to find a bonkers, rusty old bike. (well done Rusty RegT  ;D )
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #114 on: 25 September, 2014, 09:41:00 pm »
The results are in.....

The points were ACB - 80pts vs ACH - 60pts and therefore ACB win the inaugural BVB trophy.

The trophy will be presented next week to the highest scorer on the winning team.... RegT, who rode the full 400km on his dad's 70 year old, sit-up-and-beg bike, I'll let others post photos of the bike.

For those who are in the slightest bit bothered (and not fed up with this thread yet), I have broken some of the points down

Fixed ACH won 5-3
Beards ACH won 7-2

However, the individual award for the highest points scorer, goes to Ivan (ACH), who rode the full 400km on fixed, dress up as IKB, scoring a massive 19 points (again, worth looking at the 2 club websites for photos).

Forgot to ask: where and when will the trophy be presented. Is it going to be a public affair, with fanfares, etc? Will the press be present?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #115 on: 25 September, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »
No beard, fixie or fancy dress from me but I did have a blast and at least I can say that I was there when Reg rode his heavyweight rust bucket vintage bike 400 km to London and back (if you were within 30K of us you'd have heard him putting the brakes on :o)

Looking forward to more of the same next year :thumbsup:

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #116 on: 26 September, 2014, 06:06:28 am »
I hope I can make this next year....fist PBP then clash of the Titans.  I have a friend with a 1953 tandem or does 'vintage' need to be older than me?  Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #117 on: 26 September, 2014, 11:49:32 am »
I'd be up for being the stoker if you want to try the tandem.

Congratulations ACB, although this being audax it's safe to say everyone imvolved was a winner ;)
And chapeau Isamb(e)ard on the individual award.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #118 on: 26 September, 2014, 11:55:22 am »
Well I hadn't realised that RegT had ridden 400km on that bike.  Having seen photos of it, I am in awe! 

RegT, there's this ride in France next year that you might have heard of?  Have you considered riding it on this bike?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #119 on: 26 September, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »
What time did ACH reach Bristol, roughly? I kept expecting to see you all (didn't realise then that some of you were finishing in Bristol) on the way back out while I was going in, but I guess you must have gone out up Hinton Hill (which is the better route in many ways) whereas I went down Tog Hill.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #120 on: 26 September, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »
RegT, there's this ride in France next year that you might have heard of?  Have you considered riding it on this bike?
It has crossed my mind :facepalm:, but I was "somewhat uncomfortable" after 400km so might stick with Plan A for 2015 (i.e. Fixed). Will see how the restoration goes though (see thread in The Knowledge if interested in that). As for 2019... ::-)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #121 on: 26 September, 2014, 12:30:46 pm »
What time did ACH reach Bristol, roughly? I kept expecting to see you all (didn't realise then that some of you were finishing in Bristol) on the way back out while I was going in, but I guess you must have gone out up Hinton Hill (which is the better route in many ways) whereas I went down Tog Hill.

We went via Pucklechurch, or at least Anthony / Ivan / myself did. I was ACH lanterne rouge at about, er, 7:45pmish (I stopped in the city centre to shove my remaining stock of Soreen into my face before tackling Constitution Hill) but the others would have been there a good few minutes by then.

Edit: sorry,  just realised you meant what route on the way back out - not sure.

« Reply #122 on: 26 September, 2014, 06:02:28 pm »
Trophy presentation will probably take place at the Tasty Cheddar, Reg can easily fit the trophy in his back pocket!

« Reply #123 on: 26 September, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »
Fab - see you all there then  :)

« Reply #124 on: 18 October, 2021, 10:01:23 pm »
The results are in.....

Fixed ACH won 5-3
Beards ACH won 7-2

And, lo and behold, after a 7 year hiatus the ACB/ACH rematch has been arranged - this Friday, 9pm groups from Bristol and London will be setting out from their most iconic bridges on 400km rides to their rivals, parleying at 2am and 1pm in Newbury (Floruit Floreat).

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo