Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 278702 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
As I have learned, when the dog says it's time to go out, it's time to go out.

Anyway, you get a better set of fellow walkers early on.  Leave it too late and you're with the tattooed grunters being hauled around, and failing to control 'Fang'.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I have major building to do. Remove window and block walling on side of barn (it used to have a 'garage' sized entry that has been walled up). Prep for 5cubic metres of concrete. Level said concrete. Install windows and door in space.

The wall has to go first, so the concrete lorry can get the chute in.

Bloody weather has changed to 'winter' mode, which means 20knot to 50knot winds. Can't just take side wall off, the winds might rip the roof off.

So I have to put temp sheeting up - that has to be removable for when concrete is delivered.  First attempt, using spare DPM and 4x2  is semi successful. I'm not confident of it holding in gusts - might have to repurpose some old corrugated asbestos sheeting for a few weeks.

I have a weather window, but it keeps shifting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Guy

• Retired
This is getting silly. This is the third morning this week I have left home at 6.30 and strolled to work in a polo shirt. In late October.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Casts a wary eye out of his 4th floor window & wonders whether he'll be safe from the rising floodwaters.      It's a bit damp & windy at the moment.     I'm glad I came back from London on the Saturday , If I'd stayed overnight I might have been stranded at Euston!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Pissing down again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Just seen my first gritter of the season. :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Forecast to be 2°C tonight/tomorrow morning in sub-tropical Saarfend!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Close to -2 here near Norfapton.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Guy

• Retired
Dunno what the temperature was, but it must have been a bit on the low side. The second frosty morning in a row here in darkest Bedfordshire.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Pissing down again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It was cold enough to put the heating on yesterday evening. I think it's going to rain this afternoon again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Second frost in a row here in leafy Bucks too, mainly down to evaporative cooling.  It was around 0.5C this morning at 7am.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
It’s a bit chilly here in the Angles of the East this mornAM. Sufficiently so for me be pleased not to be a brass monkey. And it seems to be remaining so which is making it difficult for me to contemplate climbing the scaffolding I have erected.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The Met Office have issued a Red warning of wind for up here  :-X

I am spending most of the weekend in a castle on the top of a hill.
This could be interesting.  :o
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

I've just had a call from one of our suppliers- they've recalled the delivery as they don't want their lorries on the road after 3pm when the wind is expected to hit.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's getting a tad breezy out there now.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Lights just flickered...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Our living room windows are doing an alarming impression of a creaky galleon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Looks like the wind is peaking for you in the next couple of hours.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The Met Office have issued a Red warning of wind for up here  :-X

The rotten BBC has just made TV's Lorna Gordon stand in the street in Stonehaven and deliver a piece to camera while looking like a drowned rat.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Judging by Fubar News Furrybootoon and environs is mostly closed, having a power cut, fallen trees or garage roofs in the street.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
We need an update from the Pingus every 30 mins - else they've been blown away!
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Well, Pingu just called me through to survey the damage so far, and the fence running between ours and one of the 2 adjoining dog owning gardens on the RHS of our garden is erm, mostly thinking about having a lie down in our garden.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
And now a section of fence on the opposite side of the garden is down.