Author Topic: Glass PCB fuse  (Read 3989 times)

Re: Glass PCB fuse
« Reply #25 on: 09 February, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »
Is the only difference between the Aoyue 937 and the 937+ the knob v buttons to select the temperature ? It's not  question of cash, I kind of like the knob as setting things via digital up/down is a pain in the butt.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 09 February, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »
I think so.

When I was buying one, the notable differences between the 968 and the 968A+ were soldering iron temperature display and the iron power.  Power looks the same on the 937, so it probably is just the user interface.

(The 968A+ has a knob for the iron temperature and buttons for the hot air temperature.  I'm not sure whether the slowness of setting a temperature via the buttons is more or less annoying than OCDish tweaking of the knob to achieve a round number.)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 09 February, 2015, 03:09:55 pm »
I don't fancy the 937's buttons.  Naff membrane switches, by the look of it.  I like my knob, matron.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #28 on: 09 February, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »
937 with a knob ordered along with six additional tips (bevel and chisel between 0.8 and 3mm). I also ordered some solder and a brass cleaning pad thingy.
Now to order up some fuses etc.

The UK dealer for these said the 937 and 937+ are exactly the same bar the knob versus push button temperature selection by the way. Both have digital temperature displays. They even have the same manual.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2015, 06:44:31 pm »
I don't fancy the 937's buttons.  Naff membrane switches, by the look of it.  I like my knob, matron.

The ones on the 968A+ (for controlling the hot air temperature and calibrating the iron temperature) aren't too bad as membrane switches go: positive clickiness, not too much pressure needed.  Fine for personal use, but as with all membrane switches, I wouldn't trust them for heavy workshop use (particularly because the hot air gun reverts to minimum temperature on startup) or in a teaching environment where people are liable to stab them with biros.

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »
I might even swap out the broken push-push POT on my Yamaha Pacific 604w which I have been putting off for ages once I get used to the 937.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2015, 08:47:06 pm »
Just to clear this up......

The terms "chisel" and "bevel" get mixed up.  I think Aoyue, or Aoyue tip sellers, get them them the wrong way round (?).

Aoyue themselves use the correct terms, but some Aoyue sellers get it wrong.

http://www.aoyue.com/en/products/?bID=133&sort_id=170&page=1

« Reply #32 on: 14 February, 2015, 06:24:40 pm »
Well what an excellent bit of kit. At first I just couldn't get the hole cleaned up to get a new wire through it  but then realised I had the iron too cool. Bumped it up to 370 and most of the solder came out using some wick and the rest with a suction pump. I'm really glad I got the one with a knob, its really simple to change the temperature and the base station then flashed between selected temperature and actual tip temperature so you know when its up to snuff. Much better than my Antex.
Typically I just found a selection of Antex bits I forgot I had bought, oh well they can get used when I need to solder something in the garage or outside where I dont want to use my lovely new toy.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #33 on: 15 February, 2015, 06:00:14 pm »
Glad you like the Aoyue.

last week cpc had free p&p on all orders.

CPC is not accepting a £5.58 freepost order from me now.  Must be a new policy.  Not unreasonable, really.

Gotta think of some items to bump it up to £10.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 15 February, 2015, 10:18:21 pm »

Potentiometer knobs.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #35 on: 22 February, 2015, 07:25:27 am »

Potentiometer knobs.
Especially if they go up to eleven.
216km from Marsh Gibbon