Author Topic: Which mattress?  (Read 11718 times)

Which mattress?
« on: 01 April, 2016, 11:38:30 pm »
Many years ago we bought a Hypnos bed. The mattress of this is now a bit worse for wear (as in knackered, I am beginning to feel like a miner) and requires relatively urgent replacement but.....  I know you get what you pay for, however, the current similar replacement cost is just a tad eye watering and thats just for the mattress. We will probably keep the base as it is very well made.

Does the panel have other favoured brands/models that we should be looking at. We stayed in a cottage in Devon a couple of years ago which had a fabulous bed but like a numpty I didn't note the make/model, so I know  that they do exist.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Which mattress?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2016, 01:27:49 am »
I think mattresses are like saddles; you might not get on with something I love.
We bought an own-brand sprung double mattress from John Lewis after lying on a wide range on display.

It is topped with memory foam and sprung more firmly on 'his' side than 'hers' (though we weigh much the same - his preference). We've been happy.

Some people find memory foam too hot.

Try before you buy but two minutes, clothed in a shop doesn't really equate to hours in bed. I found the JL staff very knowledgeable and helpful.

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2016, 01:36:43 pm »
We've found lkea mattresses very comfortable

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »
We've found lkea mattresses very comfortable

Those tend to fit Ikea-shaped beds, though.  Which are mostly unobtanium in the UK unless you buy from Ikea.

(I came at this from the other angle - specifically wanting a euro-sized bed in order to maximise width while still fitting the room.  Divans (ie. all of Ikea's offerings) were impractical, and most of the alternatives are horrible leather man-beds  :sick:.  So I molished my own frame out of wood.  Euro-size mattresses are somewhat easier to come by than the beds, as thanks to Ikea there's a market for replacement mattresses.  I ended up blindly buying one online with as much memory foam as possible, which luck would have it seems to work well for barakta and her dodgy skeleton.)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »
When my wife was pregnant I was informed that we were buying a new mattress THIS WEEKEND.

Having no knowledge of the subject or time to research, I was dragged into Dreams during what must have been the only weekend that they didn't have a sale. However, the 2400 pockect spring, memory foam topped mattress has been an utter delight. I nearly sent us both bankrupt by lying on a similar model with a 6" thick Kashmir topper, but sense prevailed.

I'd recommend going into a big mattress shop and lying on lots of beds. Take a deep breath before looking at the prices.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
When my wife was pregnant I was informed that we were buying a new mattress THIS WEEKEND.

Having no knowledge of the subject or time to research, I was dragged into Dreams during what must have been the only weekend that they didn't have a sale. However, the 2400 pockect spring, memory foam topped mattress has been an utter delight. I nearly sent us both bankrupt by lying on a similar model with a 6" thick Kashmir topper, but sense prevailed.

I'd recommend going into a big mattress shop and lying on lots of beds. Take a deep breath before looking at the prices.

What he said - and you get what you pay for - so although its a lot, over say 10 years, a daily charge isn't too bad.

I have a separate mattress topper on mine, just for more comfort (from John Lewis) and could almost be a thin mattress.

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2016, 07:34:24 pm »
After 25 yrs on a futon we have been sleeping on one of these for 5 months now.
http://www.ergoflex.co.uk/?gclid=CIHKzaTL8MsCFcsp0wodu2YP_A
Bloody love it! Heat therapy every night and no end of aches and pains have gone.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »
25 years on a futon? You must have been well'ard!

I tolerated a few weeks when Young and in Love some three decades ago but was much happier on conventional matress even then.

A Soft Princess

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2016, 08:09:51 pm »
Sorry, but Hypnos are just great.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2016, 08:45:52 pm »
I tolerated a few weeks when Young and in Love some three decades ago but was much happier on conventional matress even then.

Barakta and I spent a year on an airbed (well, a succession of airbeds; fairy issues) under similar circumstances, and my shoulders have never been quite the same since.  Hers weren't the same to start with, of course.

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2016, 10:43:09 pm »
IKEA now do UK sized beds and mattresses as well as with sizes

« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2016, 10:48:56 pm »
Tempur.

Spendy but so, so, so comfortable. Added benefit of not bouncing at all.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:20:33 am »
Sorry, but Hypnos are just great.

^ this. When ours gets replaced, it will be by another Hypnos. Spendy I know, but worth it for years of comfortable sleep.
Pen Pusher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2016, 11:34:30 pm »
These seem to be beds only.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:43:30 pm »
Memory foam is appallingly hot.  If I could afford it, I would get rid of mine tomorrow.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:26:58 pm »
Memory foam is appallingly hot.  If I could afford it, I would get rid of mine tomorrow.

This.  Every time I stay in Scandiwegia I am reminded of this.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 04 April, 2016, 10:13:03 pm »
Whereas we are not (usually) too hot on our memory foam topped mattress.
We have not used our Deep Midwinter 13.5 Tog Siberian goose down duvet in the winter just past thobut. (We have used it on the memory foam mattress in previous winters.)
David suffers the cold more than I do.

People vary.

« Reply #17 on: 04 April, 2016, 10:32:36 pm »
It is an issue.
I've spent the past 22 years sleeping (and not sleeping) on a s/h cotton wadding futon base.
Well 'ard, I am. That's me.
A change is overdue.
A couple of years ago I went to John Lewis and test drove a few mattresses.
I came away with a grater from the kitchen department.
It is a very good grater, and I have since bought another to give as a gift to my close friend, Julie, in Whitstable.
The issue remains unresolved.

ETA
Does anyone know of a mattress whisperer?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:01:32 pm »
Have you stayed on any comfortable mattresses away from home?
Maybe something like your host's mattress would be the answer.

« Reply #19 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:08:45 pm »
Have you stayed on any comfortable mattresses away from home?
Maybe something like your host's mattress would be the answer.
Tricky one, Helly.
Most occasions when I stay away, it is usually for celebratory reasons of one sort or another.
Assessing and recording the bedware in those situations,mostly disappears into the mists of ambibed incohol....

Jon

« Reply #20 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:25:08 pm »
I saw an advert on the train the other day for some all singing all dancing mattress, that's delivered and if you don't like it they'll collect it. Think company was called Eve. This is totally not a recommendation as no first hand experience!

« Reply #21 on: 05 April, 2016, 12:48:53 am »
I saw one o' those ads too - www.evemattress.co.uk - seems to have a layer of memory foam, then other stuff (different sorts of foam I suspect) underneath.

100 day home trial (full refund if not satisfied, yadda yadda), their very biggest mattress is under a grand, and a UK King size is £629.

We are very much in the market for a new mattress (and realistically, a new bed as well, as we'd quite like one that's bigger than a double) - but I just get confused by all the choice and give up. I'm quite aware too that what feels comfortable after 10 minutes probably won't be after six or eight hours.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #22 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:44:53 pm »
I have Eve. Is amazing and every bit as good as my friends mattress wot she spent £2k on.

I got one for my brother but he preffered jumping up and down on a sprung mattress so his was returned for a full refund after a month.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #23 on: 10 April, 2016, 07:23:02 pm »
I have Eve. Is amazing and every bit as good as my friends mattress wot she spent £2k on.

I got one for my brother but he preffered jumping up and down on a sprung mattress so his was returned for a full refund after a month.
Gonna look into this.
I've slept / stayed awake on mem foam before - too hot for me.
But I'm prepared to give this a go.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #24 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:47:14 pm »
Eve is mainly several different types of memory foam with a latex top IIRC. So you get the best of both worlds. I tend to overheat too but haven't done so with this mattresss.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium