Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 154806 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #775 on: 11 September, 2022, 09:18:31 am »
Finally finished my SR with a decent 400 last week.

I started in York as I was staying over after a gig, a fun loop around the Wolds with some comedy offroad (I got chased away by a gamekeeper who kindly pointed out that the lovely estate track wasn’t a right of way and I had to hoik my bike up the steep side of the dene), then called in at Glew’s and had some very flat stuff around Drax.

Saw one dude who was riding the ACME Grand thing trying to get some kip at McD's in Goole, the pissheads kept banging on the window to wake him up.

And rode back along the A1 Service Road so I had a few places to sit down eat/sleep. The only problem was that the A1 northbound was shut between Bramham and Wetherby, and the traffic seemed to forget that it wasn't on a motorway any more. It was a bit disconcerting having even 3 am traffic thundering past me at M-Way speeds. Still, they had the whole other lane to use, and they did (mostly).

Back home for 11 am and a snooze. 11 SRs in different seasons and counting, so that's the first step towards my second Ultra SR ;D

« Reply #776 on: 11 September, 2022, 07:39:30 pm »
I decided to do a DIY route down to Windsor Castle & Buckingham Palace for obvious reasons... https://www.strava.com/activities/7785181810

Made for a nice day out albeit with some London Traffic fun thrown in.  Windsor was much more pleasant at 7am than 1pm, and Bucking Palace/The Mall was just bonkers with crowds.

The day was only spoilt by an incomplete train service getting home, so I had to bail off the train & ride a few more miles when I really didn't want to!   ::-)

felstedrider

« Reply #777 on: 11 September, 2022, 07:56:36 pm »
Finally finished my SR with a decent 400 last week.

I started in York as I was staying over after a gig, a fun loop around the Wolds with some comedy offroad (I got chased away by a gamekeeper who kindly pointed out that the lovely estate track wasn’t a right of way and I had to hoik my bike up the steep side of the dene), then called in at Glew’s and had some very flat stuff around Drax.

Saw one dude who was riding the ACME Grand thing trying to get some kip at McD's in Goole, the pissheads kept banging on the window to wake him up.

And rode back along the A1 Service Road so I had a few places to sit down eat/sleep. The only problem was that the A1 northbound was shut between Bramham and Wetherby, and the traffic seemed to forget that it wasn't on a motorway any more. It was a bit disconcerting having even 3 am traffic thundering past me at M-Way speeds. Still, they had the whole other lane to use, and they did (mostly).

Back home for 11 am and a snooze. 11 SRs in different seasons and counting, so that's the first step towards my second Ultra SR ;D

Well done on another SR.  It gets a bit addictive.

I’m always a bit disappointed when you find out someone was nearby and you don’t meet up.  I was crashed out in the Premier Inn when you were at Glews.   Left just before 5am on the Sat.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #778 on: 17 September, 2022, 06:57:39 pm »
A 200km today reprising an old calendar event (The Nippy Sweetie) that I might put on again. 

A Very simple Edinburgh - Bridge of Earn - Auchterarder - Comrie  :thumbsup: - Dunblane - Culross - Edinburgh.

Legs and knees were not in tip top order following an ill advised tandem pairing on Wednesday (a stubborn 17 stone stoker on a lumpy 40k ride made for trouble of all sorts) so I just decided to climb very slowly.  Its the only way to climb Langside anyway. 

Top top breakfast at the Tee Room Dunning joined by a couple of chaps that Id been playing leapfrog with since Baiglie anna second stop at the petrol station in Cambus for a macaroni peh and some sweets. 

Cool wind and low temps, definitely more Autumn than summer.   

I think that makes 699 lifetime points, 700 next weekend I hope. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/103215298

Going Forth into the morning

Rural Perthshire entry into Audax Hotel of the Year

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #779 on: 17 September, 2022, 08:39:36 pm »
Ah yes forteviot bus shelter

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #780 on: 18 September, 2022, 12:12:58 pm »
Not me, personally, because of health issues. Today happens to be exactly 8 years since I did my first DIY 600km, now it's a struggle to get over 30km. Two club mates did do a 200km DIY yesterday using one of my planned routes for my return to organising and feedback is good :)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37809633

John Stonebridge

« Reply #781 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:34:25 am »
Not me, personally, because of health issues. It's 8 years ago since I did my first DIY 600km, now it's a struggle to get over 30km. Two club mates did do a 200km DIY yesterday using one of my planned routes for a return to organising and feedback is good :)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37809633

That looks an excellent ride Ian.  My forays into D&G have only been on 400s or 600s so this looks the bees knees. 

« Reply #782 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:47:53 am »
Aye it looks a belter.

« Reply #783 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:56:45 am »
Aye it looks a belter.

I see what you did there  ;)

Looking forward to this one Ian
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #784 on: 19 September, 2022, 10:31:31 pm »
Couldn't resist ;D

Anyway, it seemed a good day to get out so I had a DIY 200 back from Berwick through the lanes and bagged some tiles along the way.

Quote of the day, when I turned left at a junction and briefly greeted a bunch of cyclists at the junction. One of them said to the group: "he's not going up there, is he?" (it was this hill).

Reader, I did, and it was lovely. The whole thing was, really, not much traffic even coming back through the Toon.

Strava link for those who use the thing: https://www.strava.com/activities/7835042165

(I wore black, mainly cos of the washing cycle, I did want to wear my PBP jersey in le tricolore with the fucking Eiffel Tower on the front, but it's in the wash).

« Reply #785 on: 20 September, 2022, 01:26:25 am »
Chillingham Bull wins Italian Championships - that'll be a first!

« Reply #786 on: 20 September, 2022, 06:32:46 am »

I've never stopped to take that picture as it's mid-descent.
Sorry Peter, it's not a Chillingham bull, despite the location. It's a Charolais or maybe a Piedmontese.

« Reply #787 on: 20 September, 2022, 10:29:53 am »
Ah!  I was making assumptions because of Dean's route.  I've actually seen the Chillingham herd years ago when we stayed at a farm in East Ditchburn.  At best, the model is notional!   It would certainly make more sense for a Piedmontese to win the Italian champs.!

« Reply #788 on: 20 September, 2022, 12:57:18 pm »
I did my first dip of the toe in the audax pool on Sunday. I've been riding recumbents for the past 6 years but have moved back to standard bikes due to a couple of unsolveable problems on the recumbents. Still working out various newbie audax issues on the road bikes, the main one being a suitable bike. I have one  on the way but it's not yet built so used my Tarmac on Sunday. A 150 round East Lothian and the Borders. Hillier than it looked when I planned the route but ain't that always the case :) I used the strategy of finding the thinnest and dodgiest looking back roads on Google Street View which worked out as a really nice route with very little traffic. Lots of right angles round the farm fields of East Lothian.

Had my brand new Super C Audax bag and Bagman rack on trial which worked nicely. Found that even with the QR bagman model as far back as it will go on the seat rails, if I really stuffed the bag the backs of my legs were just brushing the top of bag which would get annoying. I thought I would be well clear of the bag but maybe I just need to pack it better. The Tarmac is a bit sucky as a long distance platform though, reach is a bit too long and the drop to the bars a bit too high. It's great for high speed sportive fun-fests but beats you up a bit on long rides on poor roads (which is most of them round here). It's an older model with rim brakes so max tyre clearance of 25c. I did once fit 28c tyres on it which technically fit, but got a stone jammed between the tyre and the brake caliper at high speed one day resulting in a wheel lock up, so got them off them again pretty quick.

I had expected to feel a bit sore by the end and I did, still got a lot of work to do to get used to longer rides. The new bike should be a bit more comfortable though and will take much wider tyres.

Hoping to try a 200 this weekend down via Eskdale, although we'll see what the weather's like. No clearance for proper mudguards on the Tarmac. I've stuck a crud guard on the back which is a good temp solution but nothing on the front. Happy to ride in downpours with full length mudguards but I'll be wussing-out until I have a bike that can actually fit them. SKS Longboards at the ready. Just waiting on the bike!

Was a lovely day out.

« Reply #789 on: 26 September, 2022, 01:01:39 pm »
I did my first dip of the toe in the audax pool on Sunday. I've been riding recumbents for the past 6 years but have moved back to standard bikes due to a couple of unsolveable problems on the recumbents. Still working out various newbie audax issues on the road bikes, the main one being a suitable bike. I have one  on the way but it's not yet built so used my Tarmac on Sunday. A 150 round East Lothian and the Borders. Hillier than it looked when I planned the route but ain't that always the case :) I used the strategy of finding the thinnest and dodgiest looking back roads on Google Street View which worked out as a really nice route with very little traffic. Lots of right angles round the farm fields of East Lothian.

Had my brand new Super C Audax bag and Bagman rack on trial which worked nicely. Found that even with the QR bagman model as far back as it will go on the seat rails, if I really stuffed the bag the backs of my legs were just brushing the top of bag which would get annoying. I thought I would be well clear of the bag but maybe I just need to pack it better. The Tarmac is a bit sucky as a long distance platform though, reach is a bit too long and the drop to the bars a bit too high. It's great for high speed sportive fun-fests but beats you up a bit on long rides on poor roads (which is most of them round here). It's an older model with rim brakes so max tyre clearance of 25c. I did once fit 28c tyres on it which technically fit, but got a stone jammed between the tyre and the brake caliper at high speed one day resulting in a wheel lock up, so got them off them again pretty quick.

I had expected to feel a bit sore by the end and I did, still got a lot of work to do to get used to longer rides. The new bike should be a bit more comfortable though and will take much wider tyres.

Hoping to try a 200 this weekend down via Eskdale, although we'll see what the weather's like. No clearance for proper mudguards on the Tarmac. I've stuck a crud guard on the back which is a good temp solution but nothing on the front. Happy to ride in downpours with full length mudguards but I'll be wussing-out until I have a bike that can actually fit them. SKS Longboards at the ready. Just waiting on the bike!

Was a lovely day out.

Sounds like a lovely ride - and you are well on your way with your line of reasoning!

I'm a big fan of comfort on audax and for me that starts with wider tyres and mudguards. Although for bikes with little tyres - I can highly recommend redshift or similar shock stems: They give all the sensations of fitting a modestly wider front tyre and the bars still feel normal. They make my 28mm bike feel like a 32mm bike. And my 35mm bike feel like 40mm!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #790 on: 03 October, 2022, 02:20:34 pm »
well not today, but on Saturday, taken a while to recover.
With a required trip to Durham for the start of the university term, I decided it was time to get on with my planned coast to coast ride.
Plan, drive up and get the train across one day, ride back on the second day and drive home on the third day.

Train strike on Saturday meant it could not be the train day, so Saturday was riding day, regardless of the forecast.

Friday afternoon - drive to Newcastle, lashing down with rain for the last two hours of the journey, stopped raining just as I reached Newcastle and the sky cleared. Nice no need to get way the day before the ride. parked in Newcastle central station car park, plenty of spaces, and a low rate for an all weekend stay. Onto the platform to find three other bikes, a couple who had just completed coast to coast and someone doing something else, then three more cyclists arrived. Hmm, no reservations required for bikes on northern rail now looked sketchy. Train comes in the guard is insistent that only two bikes get on, lucky for me the only other solo cyclist was there first and got on the train first, so I go the remaining space.

Saturday morning, woke up, had breakfast and made the short journey to Whitehaven, not as early as I would have liked, before riding through many fords and stream on the roads resulting from Friday night's rain, arrived at Keswick to find my wallet was not in my pocket, quick call to the hotel and they had it, I asked them to ;post it as I didn't want to ride back from Keswick. Everything today would not be pay by google pay with my phone.

Reached the top of Hartside after a little over 6 hours, everything was going well, half the distance and more than half the climbing, foolishly didn't refuel in Alston. resulting in slow going by the time I reached Consett just as it was getting dark. After conset and onto cycleways I was much less impressed by as the surface was a constantly changing field of tarmac, good quality fine gravel and mud. Everything as signed up as NCN, but we know that is no guarantee of quality. I just wish there was consistency along stretches between roads, so you know what you are signing up for, and that tarmac does no suddenly shift to mud halfway along a 3km stretch.

Then came Newcastle and the navigational problems of urban cycle ways, (oh I shouldn't have taken that subway, but the bridge 50m further on) stopping to check into the travelodge as I rode along beside the tyne and deposit my stuff, before riding to the coast at Tynemouth. Then the metro back to the city centre, where I found the station car park was locked and i could not recover my bag of clothes from the car. Lucky I was carrying friday nights clothes and I didn't need to venture out into late night Newcastle kin my cycling gear in order to find food.

A long day in the saddle, but the weather was kind for October, just a few tweaks I would have made to the route if I were to do it again.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #791 on: 03 October, 2022, 03:18:13 pm »
Congrats on completing the C2C in a day.
The excellent quality of the C2C in Cumbria always amazes me.
I think it deludes riders into thinking it will all be like that, but East of the Pennines some of the off-road bits are proper tough. At least you were better prepared than a lot of the "challenge" riders we see go past.

« Reply #792 on: 05 October, 2022, 12:28:37 pm »
A DIY 400 couple of weekends ago.

The idea was to set off from Worcester at night and have breakfast in Biggleswade the next morning. Then ride back.

I buggered that up by arriving in Biggleswade at 5.30am.

Biggleswade is deserted at 5.30am...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #793 on: 19 October, 2022, 12:32:52 pm »
With the AUK year-end approaching, I used a super Oct weather window to rack up my 100 points in year with a 4th October 200km on 18th. Even time for a 5th (?) to kick-start RRtY Series 42? How many super-Vets have achieved the Randonneur 10,000? (Only age 75).
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #794 on: 19 October, 2022, 08:02:10 pm »
With the AUK year-end approaching, I used a super Oct weather window to rack up my 100 points in year with a 4th October 200km on 18th. Even time for a 5th (?) to kick-start RRtY Series 42? How many super-Vets have achieved the Randonneur 10,000? (Only 75).

That's a tremendous effort Steve - chapeau. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #795 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:45:28 pm »
Despite deciding my season was over at the start of the month following the Moulin Muirs org ride I was convinced to try out a bargain basement approach for next year due to really wanting the new badges.

So I drew up a 4 legged 200 with my house as basecamp, lopped one leg off and battered it out with Joe (doing the full 200 for points not badges), it worked surprizingly well for me and i felt less knackered.

Leg 1 - Round and over West Lomond, From Freuchie via Falkland to Strathmiglow to pick up the Dryside road to Wester Balgeddie, Milnathort then down to Fruix before turning for Auchmuir bridge and Leslie and the nice long stiff climb back over for Beans on Toast.

Leg 2 - Ceres butchers and back, up Kettlehill and along the Balcony to Chance Inn before rolling down to Ceres where a Bridie and Pie were purchased for the lunch stop, up the Ainster Road then backdown the hill to Pitscottie before riding back to Ceres and picking up the outward route and reversing it, pie and bridie consumed, but the beans had been used on the toast.

Leg 3 - Glenfarg via Lindores Loch and the Tay Coast Road, back via the Dryside and the stirfry I had sitting in the fridge.

Joe then went and did a 4th leg home to get the remaining 40k home. (He starts 10k up on me)

Gentle enough to not be too hard on me and critically easily adaptable to be made winter friendly and I've got it set up to be 4 actual loops clover like.
I did blow 15 quid in the petrol station stocking up for it though, so cost around 20 quid.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #796 on: 29 October, 2022, 08:19:03 pm »
I managed out today for a DIY200. 

My route was from home West Edinburgh NW up the Forth Valley to Dunblane then NE to Dunning and the half way mark.  Return route was back to Dunblane and home on the north side of the Forth. 

Light N wind to start with turning into a rising Easterly with heavy rain around Alloa. 

Lovely late cooked breakfast at the Tee Room in Dunning (they know my order now) and a stop to fill the bottles and layer up at Cambus 142km.   

Had a chuckle at the masses of traffic trying to get onto the Queensferry crossing at Ferry Toll Rd and the al fresco Halloween party in Crombie (at least I think thats what it was, you can never be totally sure in Fife it has many ghoulish characters all year round). 

Rain and wind made it tough but thanks to the rail strike I had no option but to batter on. 

very slow - https://ridewithgps.com/trips/106695206

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #797 on: 04 November, 2022, 05:02:27 pm »
Yep, 102 points for 2022 season. And now 2023 kick-started on 1 Nov with a wet and windy Perm 200. Project Return (soon-to-be-invalid) SAEs is underway to ride my Perms which pass close to AUKs who entered a Perm (or a few) when they sent 2x SAEs (most now use PayPal) and they did not ride the event. Have to plan for daylight, as finding an address in the dark is time-wasteful. Almost overshot the timing on Tues by finishing on the max time limit, having "Toured the Malverns" earlier to search out a couple addresses.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #798 on: 04 November, 2022, 06:43:46 pm »
Project Return (soon-to-be-invalid) SAEs is underway to ride my Perms which pass close to AUKs who entered a Perm (or a few) when they sent 2x SAEs (most now use PayPal) and they did not ride the event. s.
I very much admire your resolve to do this, Steve - it may only be a few pennies, but I hate to see any waste, and the PO cashing in on it (they already have the money in their coffers!). And a detour on a Perm adds interest, too.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #799 on: 05 November, 2022, 11:48:23 am »
Did a DIY 200 yesterday around East Yorkshire, North Lincs.  Cold start and cold finish.  Hopefully keep the RRTY going through the year and keep enough fitness for an SR next year,