Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 154698 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #800 on: 07 November, 2022, 09:58:42 pm »
Yep, 102 points for 2022 season. And now 2023 kick-started on 1 Nov with a wet and windy Perm 200. Project Return (soon-to-be-invalid) SAEs is underway to ride my Perms which pass close to AUKs who entered a Perm (or a few) when they sent 2x SAEs (most now use PayPal) and they did not ride the event. Have to plan for daylight, as finding an address in the dark is time-wasteful. Almost overshot the timing on Tues by finishing on the max time limit, having "Toured the Malverns" earlier to search out a couple addresses.
Oh that reminds me I've still to reattempt the central scotland 300.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #801 on: 20 November, 2022, 08:46:19 pm »
200km DIY from London down into Wiltshire finishing at Reading.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8141239616/overview

Utterly exhausting on account of 4 weeks of non-covid bug knocking me for six. The weather was beautiful at times, although very cold (mostly freezing in the last 90 mins). But it was just a game of survival - and convincing myself to keep turning the pedals and ignore the fact it is such hard work for such a slow speed. (In figures - normally 180W = 150bpm. but today 80W = 150bpm).

It keeps the RRTY alive (2 more needed to finish) - but not an experience I am in a rush to repeat!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #802 on: 20 November, 2022, 10:22:14 pm »
trip from High Wycombe, via Windsor, and Richmond to the Olympic park at Stratford, the home again, passing the following
Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, Palace of Westminster, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, and riding through the royal parks - Richmond Park, Green Park, Hyde Park and Windsor Great Park.

Overlapped the route of Trundle above at Maidenhead, but there at very different times.

Making good progress until London traffic had a say.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #803 on: 21 November, 2022, 10:30:20 am »
Did a 200k with three others from my cycle club yesterday. The ride was entitled "Tour de Spoons" on account of stopping at nine of the eleven Wetherspoons in Norfolk.

Had rain for first four hours, which was expected so stopped at the Fakenham Spoons to warm up and take advantage of unlimited hot drinks and then lunch at King's Lynn Spoons. Got out to find I had a puncture but was quickly fixed.

Personally flagged a lot across the Fens even though it was mainly a cross wind, but a coffee in Thetford (McDonalds, not Spoons) gave me a second wind that got me back to Norwich in what felt like much colder weather than has been the case lately.

Was a good route as had plenty of stopping options reasonably well spaced and knew we could get food/drink and because in towns, we had access to shops as well.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #804 on: 21 November, 2022, 10:54:36 am »
Did a 200k with three others from my cycle club yesterday. The ride was entitled "Tour de Spoons" on account of stopping at nine of the eleven Wetherspoons in Norfolk.

Had rain for first four hours, which was expected so stopped at the Fakenham Spoons to warm up and take advantage of unlimited hot drinks and then lunch at King's Lynn Spoons. Got out to find I had a puncture but was quickly fixed.

Personally flagged a lot across the Fens even though it was mainly a cross wind, but a coffee in Thetford (McDonalds, not Spoons) gave me a second wind that got me back to Norwich in what felt like much colder weather than has been the case lately.

Was a good route as had plenty of stopping options reasonably well spaced and knew we could get food/drink and because in towns, we had access to shops as well.

9 stops in a 200 !  :o assuming one at the start and one at the finish, that's 7 sections of ~30km between each spoons

« Reply #805 on: 21 November, 2022, 12:26:58 pm »
Did the Boat Ride 200 Perm on Saturday, for I think the 22nd time.  It was my first proper outing for nearly two months after C19 and was tougher than I recall but great fun.  The Chilterns looked gorgeous.  Need a December ride now to get RrTY No.7
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #806 on: 21 November, 2022, 01:43:11 pm »

9 stops in a 200 !  :o assuming one at the start and one at the finish, that's 7 sections of ~30km between each spoons

For seven of them we just had a picture, only stopped four times. Twice at spoons with one to warm up and one for lunch, quick convenience store stockup and a coffee at McD's for the final push.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #807 on: 26 November, 2022, 10:33:33 am »
I had a day off work yesterday so bagged a 200 up to Stonehaven.

Given that it was a weekday I wanted to get out into the country quickly and maximise the use of lanes (in hindshight the latter was something of a mistake given the residual effects of flooding)

I took the train to Cowdenbeath and made up the 20km or so from home in Edinburgh that Id chopped off by adding in some extra wiggles -> https://ridewithgps.com/trips/108487602

A lot of roads were flooded but passable, however the 5k north of the A94 (from 78km on my route) was completely impassable – I took a peek down the lane after the “Road Closed” sign and Id have needed a boat. 

I had about 90 minutes heavy rain, roughly between Forfar and Brechin, and at one point it turned to horizontal hailstones.  My mind turned to thoughts of quietly expiring at one stage.  However after Brechin the sun came out on the road over to Logie Pert (good name for a tartan clad Drag Queen!) and the section to Fettercairn was beautiful. 

The road out by Careston, “roon the back” of Auchenblae by the golf club and onwards to Drumlithie and Tannachie were all new to me.  Slightly longer than the traditional route by Tipperty but less climbing.  Definiitely worth it though I really di want to ride this bit in daylight however Id slowed up a lot by this stage given a foolish attempt to do a November 200 on one food stop in Meigle.  I had to stop to wolf down some emergency rations with about 10km to go.  This is what I was like 20 years ago on the Dave Harris, you'd think Id have learned.  Stupid boy. 

Rolled into Stoney shortly after 1730.  Not quick despite mostly a tailwind but crud and flood and poor fitness do not make for swift progress.  Couple of panaches and the train / tram home. 

Still that’s the 2023 SR under way!

EDIT - thats a 200km or more every month of 2022 so far (11).   :o 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #808 on: 05 December, 2022, 11:47:10 pm »
Bagging decembers RRTY ride before the weather turned by riding to a christmas party.
Up before dawn and off to Auchterarder by Glen Tarkie before taking the Tullybardine route to Kinky bridge instead of Hunter Street for a change, more new roads followed as I cut up to Methven and then to Luncarty to investigate the NMU beside the new bit of the A9, it's pretty bloody good, though there is a ridiculously placed pole advertising the fact it's a cycle track on one of the over bridges...

Used the path from the Birnham junction to Dunkeld station for lunch fae the burger van, opting for a chicken burger as there was nothing I could easily read on the menu for which "nae cheese pleeze" made sense.
Balnaguard route to the Strathtay roads and I used the Grandtully (Grantly) bridge bagging that, north road all the way to Fearnan though not claiming as much new road there as I'd thought before getting the North loch road in a near deserted, tourist free state to the Ben Lawers junction in the bag too.

In the dark I think bagging the back road out of killin was a mistake as the A85 was also pretty quiet from Lix Toll from what I could see and made a fairly unharassed ride into Crianlarich where I expected things to hot up on the A82, rode up the old Glasgow road to descend to the new roundabout as another silly little bit of bagging to end that lark for the day.

It wasn't too bad on the 82 and the big laybys were devoid of the usual pile of hillwakers cars for tea at Tyndrum where some mates met up with me on their way to the party.
Dispatched the climb from there to Bridge of Orchy and the Ski Lodge in the woods where I finished in just over 12 hours with 4 leisurely stops, pretty happy with that.

Not on the Audax clock, but on Sunday I set off from the Ski Lodge and bagged Glen Orchy then the Stronmilchan and Glen Lonan roads on my way to Oban, I would have been faster riding home but instead put my faith (and the hope of delay repay returning my 23 quid fare) in Scotrail for a 3 connection journey, sadly for my 23 quid, they get to keep it.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #809 on: 17 December, 2022, 07:38:27 pm »
Tried to complete a DIY today,  but after 140km decided enough was enough (dark and getting colder again by this point) headed for home with only an imperial century.

« Reply #810 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:41:09 am »

Out on the Elan yesterday for an Xmas eve 200km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8287372853/overview

Much safer conditions than the same time last week. Cold though, 1 degree through the Chilterns and the Aylesbury Vale in the morning. No ice, just low mist. Flooded roads added some swash buckling adventure in Rickmansworth, Padbury and Latimer. The view from Wing down to the vale is stunning - I love that view. And the night riding was full of big deer crossing the lanes.

As with all long winter rides, the Elan looks like it's been a plaything in a pig pen.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #811 on: 06 February, 2023, 07:08:08 pm »
Got February's RRTY in early, though I've got the org ride of ToTo to do the last weekend of the month too so might be #8 starting
Testing out a possible local 100 with the possible organizer for Halloween.

Set off around 11 because I'd been out the night before (don't drink but still)
Met him at Ladybank and set off by the Golden Loch to Abdie Morthouse, from there we were along the Fife coast road to Balmerino for the Abbey, then the haunted old kirk of Forgan to Tentsmuir.
A temporary abatement of spooky stuff along the Eden to St Andrews where we lost count of potentially spooky stuff and of cafés on route.
Down to Crail then along the hill top via Haloween obsessed New Gilston then sundered near Craigrothie due to a mechanical requiring a bike swap for him and tea being imminent at respective houses.

Good long stop and I was back out again on the edge of darkness, by Strathmiglo it went wrong for him and I was on my own for the last 75km, round loch leven and out to crook of devon at Gairneybank to do a bit of road bagging on the way, and way back. Roads blissfully empty made the A977 no bad, must remember for bagging a few more meters of it.

A fair whack of wigglnig around Kinross to get distance up then back to Ladybank along the A91 and Dunshelt road before home.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #812 on: 20 February, 2023, 10:05:27 am »
A lovely 200km clockwise loop yesterday starting . finishing in Darlo.  Id been off work Thu/Fri so chose Sunday as the best day for this.

Wet roads and sun to start but the wind got up later and it clouded over too so a tad cool all day.  The bits heading west especially around Tockwith were a bit tricky. 

One sit down stop at Bilborough Top Maccy Ds (the glamour) and just a back pocket feed other than that. 

Almost all on familiar roads but the only new bit (through Marton & Grafton heading to Boroughbridge to avoid the B6265) was fab.   

Block tailwind after Leeming though made for a swanky finish. 

Back to Edinburgh on a late train - got in just after 2330 so the trams and local trains had stopped running.  That meant I had the chance to perfect my "cycling with a trolley bag" technique. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/113795766

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #813 on: 13 March, 2023, 08:06:24 am »
after bailing on the Dean on saturday due to the low temperatures -2C at the start, not going above 5, I rode a DIY on sunday. I had though about doing the dean perm, but decided riding from home is better financially and environmentally.

Use my 300 trip to the new forest, based on the 4 down.

temperatures between 7 and 10 all day meant I didn't have to carry layers, set off at 06:30 ( the drawback of perms over calendar events is not having a deadline to get out of bed, and had a very pleasant day on mostly quiet roads. The test valley in particular was great with more than twice as many cyclists as drivers as I passed through, then on to the new forest and on the moorland sections the southwesterley wind came into play, couldn't wait to turn for hom, and for once the wind was noticable as a tailwind, cruising along nicely at 30kmh with little effort from lymmington to beauliea and on to southhampton, where the bridge over the Test footpath was closed to pedestrians and cyclists leading to a diversion onto the north side of the main road. Not very well signed.

On to new Alresford where the rain started fo fall, no cafes open so I found somewhere to shelter while eating my tesco provisions, riding solo it was notable how quiet the roads after new Alresford really are and finally back onto more familiar roads, happy when I reached Aborfield and I knew the remaining route was all pretty much flat and I could make good progress with the wind still behind me. rain didn't really stop for the last 4 hours but it was mostly light drizzle so no big issue other than the dazzle from lights on the rain on my glasses.

stopped time 1hr 12 minutes allowed me to get round in less than 15 hours despite less than impressive average speed

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #814 on: 13 March, 2023, 02:12:03 pm »
With the TotO org ride counting for February I was in need of a DIY this weekend having been to knackered from running TotO to get out last weekend.

Saturdays forecast didn't inspire me much with a sub-zero morning and snow mid-evening so I banked on the warmer, windier and wetter looking sunday.
Couldn't be arsed when I woke up but had submitted a route based on the 1am forecast and by the time I was ready just after 10 the sun was out.

A bit of resistance out to Falkland and then a definite side wind as I approached Glen Tarkie, all in the plan though.
I hit the Fife coast road at a decent wind assisted pace and saw myself in St Andrews eating a Fisher and Donaldsons Fudge Doughnut about an hour earlier than I'd allowed for, also the wind hadn't dropped as forecast, this was a problem.
A hard slog up Strathkinness High Road and then down Nydie dispirited me for was to come, a good rest from the wind as I climbed up through Dura Den and back into the wind for the Craigrothie slog
More shelter on the Balcony and a routing error in the Howe saw me dog leg to Freuchie Mill before stopping for lunch.

A decent break and I was back out, the wind with still blowing but the gusts were below 40mph at last.
Another routing error saw me on the A91 a bit earlier in the evening than I'd like between Muchty and Strath and then onto the Dryside, the wind was dropping as evidenced by the speed of the wind turbine at John Knox and the sidewind didn't slow me down too much to the Ballingry road junction.
Into the shelter of Benarty and crossing the footbridge at Fruix for the first time I was relieved to feel much less wind at last.

A stop to check out the books at Cleish phonebox before the night loop, but still earlier than hoped for!
The A977 was thankfully no where near as bad as I feared just after 6 and I curved back towards Cleish from Crook of devon before bagging a few roads near Balado.
Into Kinross and a stop at Giaccomos for an Empire Biscuit (I didn't route by Greens for a Fisher and Donaldson) and a final blast down the A91 and the Dunshelt road hame.

With next weekend blocked out by other stuff I'm not sure i'll manage to make last month the start of RRTY 8

John Stonebridge

« Reply #815 on: 20 March, 2023, 09:23:38 am »
I completed a one way 200 Edinburgh to Stonehaven yesterday

Hard going in a very cold cross head wind, flooded roads, heavy winter bike and with a month off.  I was way too ambitious planning to ride through from breakfast in Perth at 65km and a 2nd stop in Edzell at 150km.   

The bit from Auchenblae to Stonehaven is that which will be used by riders on my 600 in mid June.  I'm still not sure if its easier than going via Mains of Glenfarquhar or not. 

The level crossing gates at Newmill were again closed to road traffic and it appears (sample size = 2) that they are closed by default, and are opened manually from the signal box.  It was only 30 seconds or so but it struck me as unusual and maybe an issue for an event with 50+ riders.   

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/115831753   

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #816 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:17:48 pm »
More abuse of the low roads of Fife and Kinross.
Over Lindores to the coast and along the usual way via Tentsmuir to St Andrews for a fudge doughnut and sausage roll, climbed to Brownhill and turned in land for once, thankfully as there was something on at Crail.
Pelted by hail stones on Kingsbarns Station road but Bagged the Kingsbarns beach road at last and finished off a few more of the East Neuck villages
Over Largo Law and got snowed on my way into Ceres!
Balcony and a bit of swearing as I realized I hasn't sent the route down the cadgers but along the main road to Freuchie Mill Road from Kettle.

Tea then back out, along the dryside where I encountered more hail stones, an into Kinross over the motorway at Fruix and the flatlands of Cleish to just East of the Crook of Devon late enough for the A977 to be comfortable back into Kinross via the old road through Balado.
A stop in Milnathort for an Empirebiscuit from Giacopazzis then an easy but knackered ride home along the A91 and Dunshelt road.

Nice and easy but

« Reply #817 on: 09 April, 2023, 09:40:51 pm »
An utterly glorious ride yesterday in the North Wessex downs. A couple of route tweaks from last time, and I would make one more next time. Weather was amazing and people were full of the joy of spring.

Lots of little highlights made for a wonderful day awheel.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8855864841

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #818 on: 25 April, 2023, 02:56:55 pm »
Following failure on the org ride of my 300 due to illness (I'll leave the detail level at that) I planned something easy

just before midday start and into the East North Easterly along the how to Cupar facing the contents of fields being windborne before climbing to Pitscottie and on to St Andrews, a good shove took me along the coast to Newburgh and back over Lindores to the house in comfortable time, a leisurley break and then onto my now common abuse of the flat lands of Kinross and Clackmannan, this time south to F---ing Kelty then along to Saline then the dying light to Dollar, I was mentally set on climbing to the Yetts o Muckhart but my Wahoo pointed me down Golf Course road, where I soft pedals and wrote something, darkness encroached as I approached Cleish and turned north for Milnathort with the wind now either gone or sheltered by the Ochil Massive (That so sounds like it should be a scheme gang) from there it was the A91 to Rossie and then across the Howe home.

Was pretty happy to get home well before midnight.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #819 on: 13 May, 2023, 07:18:45 pm »
Yep.  Up with the lark to catch the train to Dunblane and a lovely  200km loop up to Glamis and back. 

Misty til lunchtime, lovely and warm thereafter.

My 1st sub 10 hour 200 in ages.  Praise be! 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/120984901

John Stonebridge

« Reply #820 on: 30 May, 2023, 11:58:32 am »
I rode a DIY 200 yesterday, chiefly to do a final in person eyeball of three info controls for my 600 next month before the card order based point of no return. 

Given it was a working day in Scotland the Stirling start (a la my 600) helped me avoid busier roads. 

Stirling - Auchterarder - Perth- Meigle - Kirrie - Edzell - Lkirk - Stoney via some Howe of the Mearns jinks & zig zags to check road signs & the like. 

East wind made it a little tricky though only a bit.  Average moving speed 21kph - really struggling to get the dial much above 20kph just now.

Lovely sunny day though, short sleeves n shorts after 10am. 

Edit to add pics

The Allan Water taken from the road between Dunblane and Auchenlay specially built to allow me to have an info control  :thumbsup:

The view to the North from near Careston

Mandatory bike pic under the Fettercairn Arch

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/122864986

John Stonebridge

« Reply #821 on: 03 June, 2023, 11:11:45 am »
I wasnt working yesterday and am attending the Scottish Cup final today so bagged a 200. 

Tried to design it to avoid weekday traffic so from Edinburgh -> Dunblane -> Perth -> Kinrossie then back to Bridge of Allan via St David's for 200

Warm sun but cool wind. 

Usual poor driving in Perth, gave a bus driver a mouthful after he'd tried to overtake then immediately block me in, but I was wise to it. 

New top dressing has appeared on stretch of my upcoming 600 - its downhill with a few hairpins of course  :facepalm:

Slightly lumpier than expected too. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/123239132

John Stonebridge

« Reply #822 on: 16 July, 2023, 08:43:55 pm »
Having bailed on yesterdays darlo 300 I changed my train north to civilisation to Sunday evening and did a lovely 200 today

Fairly windy but still very enjoyable.  Slow puncture identified at Boroughbridge but a reflation at Leeming was enough

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/128250672

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #823 on: 07 August, 2023, 02:23:05 pm »
200km and 3000m yesterday in the Chilterns, on a route largely following the route of the old Chiltern hundred sportive. Lots of arrows had conveniently been left out for me at my turns. So either there had been a sportive there recently, or there will be on soon.

Mostly dry and some blue sky even broke out a the end.  Ice cream at Ivinghoe Beacon. Could be a regular ride as I seek to keep AAArty going.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #824 on: 07 August, 2023, 03:01:48 pm »
Got back home from a cycling holiday in France on Saturday night having concluded that it didn't feature enough cycling (Sem Fed in Pont a Mousson was great but the week after saw foul weather and only one ride) so yesterday I headed out for my default 200 from West Edinburgh to Dunning via Dunblane using the south of the Forth out and north of the Forth back. 

Early start (6am) to avoid the worst of the rain but I still got a drenching at 195km.   

I found myself riding back along the route used by another better publicised event around Culross as evidenced by the upside down messages on the tarmac.  400km on the tandem at Sem Fed has improved my climbing so I was happy to go via Wharry Bridge both out and back. 

PBP bike is under assembly just now so I used my Van nick zephyr which is very comfortable but fairly sluggish.   

a joy to just jump on a bike and ride. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/130500188