Author Topic: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do  (Read 42939 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do
« Reply #200 on: 09 September, 2021, 07:45:31 pm »
DrM, here's a virtual hug. You've had a stressful and disappointing time and I imagine you feel exhausted right now. Look after yourself over the next few days. Eat well, get some rest, do the things that make you feel grounded and calm. Take care of yourself.

Unquestionably, it is the responsibility of a car driver to check that the road is clear at a juncttion, regardless of whether he has been flashed by another car driver.

You could seek advice from CDF (Cyclists' Defence Fund) which is administrated by CyclingUK (the organisation formerly known as CTC). You'll find an email address on how to get in touch with them at this link:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/changes-cyclists-defence-fund

If you contact them by email, you might point to your post upthread to save yourself having to type out your story again.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #201 on: 09 September, 2021, 08:19:38 pm »
This is an outrageous verdict.

If the CDF won't fund your appeal Dr M, I'll happily contribute to crowdfunding.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #202 on: 09 September, 2021, 08:50:15 pm »
That's shocking, on the face of it it appears to be a simple case, but then the other side considered it worth going to court so maybe they felt otherwise.  I thought such cases were based on what was reasonable, the idea that it isn't reasonable to cycle along a cycle lane, it's just absurd.
The grounds for appeal seem logical, is that denial the end of it?  I do hope not, you seem to be getting good legal support, maybe they will find a way to pursue it.
Good luck and look after yourself, this must feel like another assault, it's hard to imagine that, insult to injury.

« Reply #203 on: 09 September, 2021, 11:14:05 pm »
So sorry to hear this.  If you have the spoons for it, please contact the CDF.

(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #204 on: 16 September, 2021, 03:55:18 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I've found the verdict very hard to swallow. I'll consider approaching the CDF carefully, but it's taken quite a toll on me emotionally and practically.

« Reply #205 on: 16 September, 2021, 04:12:51 pm »
I can understand that.

<hugs>

ian

« Reply #206 on: 16 September, 2021, 05:33:20 pm »
I confess that even after my incident, even with the promise of a potentially large payout, I called it a day and decided to move on with my life, it would have been another couple of years of legal wrangling and I didn't have the heart for it. Don't feel bad if you don't either, fair or not sometimes it is the reasonable option to accept things as they are and take the opportunity to move on.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #207 on: 16 September, 2021, 05:35:44 pm »
Just to add to my previous post, here is the description of the Cyclists' Defence Fund mission from the organisation's own website:

The Cyclists’ Defence Fund helps fight significant legal cases involving cyclists and cycling, especially those which could set important precedents for the future and could affect the safety of all cyclists. Over time, its remit has expended to cover all aspects of cycling and the law. It is funded through donations.

I realise I previously linked to a news article about CDF's relationship with CyclingUK, so here is the main page for CDF:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaign/cyclists-defence-fund

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #208 on: 16 September, 2021, 06:42:56 pm »
I should also add I think you've done really well since the collision. Recovery has taken resilience and patience.

I really like the pic of you from 2018. Big smile from me when I saw this.

« Reply #209 on: 16 September, 2021, 07:42:32 pm »
DrM - really sorry to hear this. Take your time and make your own clear choice of any next action. You’ve been through too much and this is just adding more.

I completely understand your move to running. It’s a shame that the world leaves any of us feeling that there are things we can’t do because we have no protection, but completely understand how you feel.

Thinking of you of course

Mike

« Reply #210 on: 16 September, 2021, 07:58:55 pm »
I’d missed the update last week, but want to +1 the outrage and best wishes in dealing with the stress and result.