Author Topic: Repairing a Cyo mounting bracket?  (Read 1080 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Repairing a Cyo mounting bracket?
« on: 27 August, 2019, 06:03:19 pm »
The old Cyo mounted on the front QR of my fixed has been damaged by my own carelessness. The plastic tab/ mounting bracket got broken when the audax tandem got put away in the garage. There isn't anything protruding that I can use to bolt the Cyo to any sort of bracket.

I see there is a vertical bolt recessed in the bottom of the Cyo. Is it possible to bolt a tab under the Cyo that I can then use to mount to my bicycle or will I short out everything in a shower of sparks?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Repairing a Cyo mounting bracket?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2019, 06:23:45 pm »
Someone OTP (I forget who) managed to repair a Cyo with exactly that damage using Sugru.

I've got one in a similar state, though I've since stolen its switch ring to replace one broken in a Brompton-vs-Land-Rover incident.

Here's photos of a teardown of one:  https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/12234?page=1

Looks like the bolt in question is a self-untapping screw into the heatsink, to which the LED board appears to be attached in a not-entirely-clear fashion.  There may be thermal paste.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2019, 01:53:18 pm »
There isn't enough remnant tab protruding for Sugru to form around and bond to.

OK, so I guess that I might be able to undo that long screw and then I might be able to replace the screw with something longer to let me put a tab underneath it. With luck, the innards won't fall out too badly.

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2019, 06:31:29 pm »
I did mine with Sugru. I can't remember how much of the tab was left- I'll go have a look at it...

I can't really tell how much is left under there by eye and I can't remember. I did spread it around on the underside quite a bit.

Another option might be to find a suitable doughnut-shaped thing and stick it on with mouldable epoxy. I might even have some Loctite stuff at work (sometimes I get free samples)

« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2019, 03:07:14 pm »
Could a large stainless adjustable hose cllp provide a fixing?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2019, 03:17:38 pm »
Maybe but I’ve acquired some Sugru and aim to try that first. If it fails, then I’ll try to find a longer bolt and fit a mounting bracket. If that proves impractical, then an external clamp can be the fallback option.

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2019, 03:19:25 pm »
in a  similar vein could a 'saddle' be made perhaps (eg out of bent mudguard stay) such that the 'saddle' bolts to the bracket?  The lamp body would then be mounted to the 'saddle' using two suitable clips/clamps/rubber tension straps/tape? 

just a thought

cheers