Author Topic: Not-cycling  (Read 12561 times)

Re: Not-cycling
« Reply #100 on: 07 August, 2012, 06:43:27 pm »
So some woman just won a gold medal for doing nothing other than sitting on a horse! Ridiculous!

You ever tried to stay on a horse? AND make it go in the direction you want at the speed you want? ;)

In my brief riding lesson career, I managed to stay on, but frequently failed at the other bit.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #101 on: 07 August, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »
You ever tried to stay on a horse? AND make it go in the direction you want at the speed you want? ;)

I reluctantly went horse riding in Sherwood Forest some years ago and I can honestly say YES! As long as I kicked it hard enough, it went where I wanted it to go. I didn't fall off either...  :P

Edit: I fully appreciate that there is skill in what the young lady did. Although I think her horse should get a medal too!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #102 on: 07 August, 2012, 07:07:41 pm »
Perhaps she got a medal for looking like the horse . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #103 on: 07 August, 2012, 07:19:22 pm »

Princess Anne is the undisputed world record holder in that particular event.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #104 on: 07 August, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »
Some people might think that commenting on people's appearances like that was rather rude. It certainly pisses me off having been called Bugs Bunny more often than most.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #105 on: 07 August, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »

Unobjectify that.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #106 on: 07 August, 2012, 08:29:24 pm »
Some people might think that commenting on people's appearances like that was rather rude. It certainly pisses me off having been called Bugs Bunny more often than most.

Commenting on people in a negative way is all the rage on this forum. It is a very easy thing to do.

Attempting to emulate performance in various disciplines appears too hard and too difficult for some to comprehend.

But I suppose that's the novelty of social media.

« Reply #107 on: 07 August, 2012, 08:35:03 pm »
After watching someone jump over a bar 2.33 metres high, without any aids, I got the tape measure out just to see how that compared with things around the house, such as doorframes.  That was a pretty impressive jump! Quite amazing really.

« Reply #108 on: 07 August, 2012, 09:04:21 pm »
After watching someone jump over a bar 2.33 metres high, without any aids, I got the tape measure out just to see how that compared with things around the house, such as doorframes.  That was a pretty impressive jump! Quite amazing really.

Watching the long jump on Saturday, MFWHTBAB pointed out that they were jumping more than the length of the room we were in. And it's a big room.  Mind boggling!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #109 on: 08 August, 2012, 08:09:53 am »
It's considered OK on YACF - if the victim is considered posh enough.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #110 on: 08 August, 2012, 08:56:51 am »
For being cute and fluffy?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #111 on: 08 August, 2012, 08:58:55 am »
Edit: I fully appreciate that there is skill in what the young lady did. Although I think her horse should get a medal too!

Yup.

Having been involved in the horse industry just a wee bit, I'd say that a large part of the skill of being an eventing rider is training the horse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #112 on: 08 August, 2012, 07:19:51 pm »
For being cute and fluffy?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't think Bugs was cute or fluffy, to be honest. He had big teeth, like I do. 

I appreciate the attempt at flattery though. :)

« Reply #113 on: 10 August, 2012, 10:24:57 am »
So does anyone know how Taekwondo scoring works?  You seem to get more points for spin kicks than normal kicks and a kick to the head counts 3, but it was mostly a mystery.

Also, does anyone know why boxing, judo and taekwondo are chosen as the Olympic martial arts and not karate, aikido, that one with the big sticks?  Do the three that are in have strictly codified rules and scoring systems or is it just historical?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #114 on: 10 August, 2012, 04:59:42 pm »
So does anyone know how Taekwondo scoring works?  You seem to get more points for spin kicks than normal kicks and a kick to the head counts 3, but it was mostly a mystery.
Yup, I think it's pretty much that simple! (although I have little idea what the penalty points are awarded for, sorry)

Elsewhere ...
6-a-side volleyball is a much better game than the sand-n-bikinis variety. [men and womens]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #115 on: 11 August, 2012, 07:54:56 pm »
1pt body shot
3pts head shot
+1pt if it's a spin kick for either

THe warnings are for all sorts of things, but 2 warnings = 1pt for your opponent

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #116 on: 11 August, 2012, 11:29:47 pm »
Well done Tom Daley.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.