Author Topic: Corpus Christi Trimble  (Read 26018 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Corpus Christi Trimble
« Reply #25 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:47:41 pm »
I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced

So what is it good for?

Umm..I know people who have been on this programme and have gone on to work for various government (i.e. MOD, DERA etc) departments. Good luck Wascally Weasel, the Kings department in war studies is meant to be very good  :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #26 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:48:31 pm »
Pingu, I think she's entitled to be smug, given that she's apparently the brainiest person evah on university challenge.  I'd be smug, too.

She didn't seem particularly smug to me.  But then it was so nice to see a woman on TV being clever rather than as bimbo eye-candy simpering pinkly.

bikenerd

« Reply #27 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:49:09 pm »
You'll be telling me next that scientists are of greater value to society than historians.

There's a world of difference between history and Latin literature.
Books that haven't been read for hundreds of years being analysed for what purpose?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:51:21 pm »
You'll be telling me next that scientists are of greater value to society than historians.

Books that haven't been read for hundreds of years being analysed for what purpose?

I don't know. I haven't read them. Perhaps in some way that study will increase the overall knowledge available, and that's what education's for.

Edit: I think a fair chunk of our historical knowledge is based upon texts which were written in Latin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bikenerd

« Reply #29 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:52:29 pm »
There seems to be a dangerous mindset which assumes that all education should be geared to make itself useful in some way to "business".

My research could be considered useful for business, especially the insurance industry, but I'm not interested in going in that direction.  So, I'll either end up working for a government funded body or in academia, much the same as Ms Trimble.  However, I hope that my work will be useful for climate change mitigation and government policy making.

« Reply #30 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »
I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced

So what is it good for?

Umm..I know people who have been on this programme and have gone on to work for various government (i.e. MOD, DERA etc) departments. Good luck Wascally Weasel, the Kings department in war studies is meant to be very good  :thumbsup:

WAR! What is it good for?

« Reply #31 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:56:14 pm »

I think I'd far prefer a conversation with a latin scholar than yer average scientist.

;) - somewhat.

bikenerd

« Reply #32 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:59:15 pm »
I think I'd far prefer a conversation with a latin scholar than yer average scientist.

Yeah, we're all nerdy and wear funny specs and love Star Trek, don't have girlfriends and have bad breath.  ::-)

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:00:00 pm »
(I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced)

War Studies, which presumably is a branch of history, is well worth studying. If a few more historians had been consulted in 2003, then we might not have invaded Iraq.

There seems to be a dangerous mindset which assumes that all education should be geared to make itself useful in some way to "business".

But there's also a lot of snobbery about which 'useless' degrees are better than other 'useless' ones.

Media Studies is always used as an example in such discussions but I suggest it's every bit as 'worthy' as Classical History, Art History & Latin (amongst others).

Nothing at all wrong with studying for studying's sake but, when it all goes tits-up you may find Latin becomes the native Language on the B-Ark

LEE

« Reply #34 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:02:56 pm »

Yeah, we're all nerdy and wear funny specs and love Star Trek, don't have girlfriends and have bad breath.  ::-)

Latin scholars are good conversationalists and so are yer average scientists, but which ones are best?   

There's only one way to find out.....

« Reply #35 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »

It's not the oral hygiene, ocular impairment, or a solitary sex-life that makes a conversationalist tedious. A conversation that was solely about tv sci-fi might become so.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »
Bikenerd, you're a hopeless Philistine.  :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:09:56 pm »
Media Studies is always used as an example in such discussions but I suggest it's every bit as 'worthy' as Classical History, Art History & Latin (amongst others).

Here is how to get a degree in Media Studies:

• Pick up copy of "Metro" at Stockwell station
  • Travel to Finchley Central
  • Pick up degree certificate at station exit

;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:13:26 pm »
That presupposes leaving Stockwell alive...

bikenerd

« Reply #39 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:14:40 pm »
A conversation that was solely about tv sci-fi might become so.

As opposed to a conversation entirely about bicycles?  ;)

Bikenerd, you're a hopeless Philistine.  :D

Probably, but I can answer most of the questions on Uni Challenge about relatively modern literature (post 1850), geography, renaissance paintings, classical music and physical sciences.  It's the Latin, Greek and biology stuff I can't do! :)

« Reply #40 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:15:16 pm »
Out of an office of seven people in a University Physics Department, only three have girlfriends, but of the remainder, three are married, and one of those also prefers her husband to a girlfriend. ;D

The other one is me.  Bugger.  Ah well, there's always Star Trek. :-[
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #41 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:23:24 pm »
A conversation that was solely about tv sci-fi might become so.

As opposed to a conversation entirely about bicycles?  ;)

You mentioned them first.  ;)

I'll confess to mostly avoiding my fellow artists at uni and consorting mostly with engineers and scientists.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #42 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:29:38 pm »

So what is it good for?

Thanks! - if I get a place I will be self funded (I will be dong it as a part time course over two years unless my circumstances change drastically).  There’s a possible alternate source of funds but I have to get a place first.

I was lucky enough to study History at the University of London when it was taught on a collegiate basis,  so as part of my degree I did a few courses at the War Studies dept (Military History from 1800 to present day and a final year course on Diplomacy and Military Operations in WWII from 1936 to the fall of France in 1940). I was also lucky enough to study a course at SOAS on The Eastern Mediterranean Lands at the time of the Crusades (taught from the Latin/Frankish, Byzantine/Greek and Muslim/Turkish/Arabic perspectives). The collegiate system  made it very open, you could go and pick course units that interested you rather than just what was available at your own college. 

Not being a reader of Latin prevented me from studying quite a few other interesting topics though, just to get even vaguely back OT.

Edited to add:  I’m reliably informed by some Quaker relatives of Ms Weasel that the Peace Studies dept at Bradford and the War Studies dept at Kings have an annual football match – Peace vs War!  Little things like that make my day.

« Reply #43 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:37:35 pm »
Said Liz:
Bikenerd, you're a hopeless Philistine

How can he be, he's got a Hill Special?!?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #44 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:41:26 pm »

So what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing!

IGMC

..d (The only O'level I failed was latin)

(pace beastie boys mid '80s)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #45 on: 24 February, 2009, 03:55:28 pm »
<quote>I was lucky enough to study History at the University of London when it was taught on a collegiate basis,  so as part of my degree I did a few courses at the War Studies dept (Military History from 1800 to present day and a final year course on Diplomacy and Military Operations in WWII from 1936 to the fall of France in 1940). I was also lucky enough to study a course at SOAS on The Eastern Mediterranean Lands at the time of the Crusades (taught from the Latin/Frankish, Byzantine/Greek and Muslim/Turkish/Arabic perspectives). The collegiate system  made it very open, you could go and pick course units that interested you rather than just what was available at your own college. </quote>

Your courses sounded fantastic! I did Egyptian archaeology at UCL. It's funny how Mr Welshness goes on about 'bloody art degrees' when he has got 3 unfinished degrees and I've just finished my MSc in Library and Information Science!

« Reply #46 on: 24 February, 2009, 04:04:47 pm »
Oh be still my beating heart...
a thread about intelligent women with glasses and bicycles, and now librarians.

I'm going for a short lie down in a darkened room.

« Reply #47 on: 24 February, 2009, 04:14:36 pm »
(I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced)

War Studies, which presumably is a branch of history, is well worth studying. If a few more historians had been consulted in 2003, then we might not have invaded Iraq.

Nothing dangerous Wow; don't exagerate please! As there's nothing wrong with applying *things* to Olympic performance on the side, while taking a break from big gas turbines... I just wished we had a broader range of questions in such show and that knowledge in science and engineering was also recognised and valued maybe? More math and science questions please!  And the same wow (no pun) factor for the good scientists... ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Tiger

« Reply #48 on: 24 February, 2009, 05:46:59 pm »
Latin is very misunderstood. It is not the study of a language, like French or German. It is the definitive grammar and logic of thought that underpins most European languages - certainly English.  It is Latin that is also teh accepted language of the scientific definition or the law court - because its meanings and roots are so precise. Unlike the vernacular.
The fact that this precociously intelligent person chooses to study latin might suggest that there is clearly more to it than might appear.
Dismissing latin is a bit like dismissing maths because nowadays we all have calculators.
This girl will go on to achieve greatness.
Bit of a minger tho. 

« Reply #49 on: 24 February, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »
Latin is very misunderstood.

Well, she should stop using it then!