Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 109831 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #525 on: 10 September, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »
Ooh, do report back - I've had my eye on one of those for ages, and given how cold my kitchen gets in winter I may yet crack...

As you can see from the picture I was measuring it's efficacy with the help of my probe thermometer. The kitchen was already warm (for Scottish values of warm) cos I had the oven on, but it popped up to 30C and stayed there, same with 40 and 49C. I didn't bother testing out the slow cooker heating function as that is secondary to my requirements (though I dare say I will try it out some time).

Next task is to see if I can find a generic upper wire rack for it that's cheaper than the OEM B&T one.  And bake some bread (prolly this weekend).

ETA - because it's a bit of a frivolous spend I did research the idea of using a cool box with a seedling mat & temp controller, but decided that although cheaper would take up too much space. Having said that the B&T was bigger than I was expecting (despite the fact I'd read all the info on dimensions), though it does at least fold flat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #526 on: 11 September, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
Just had a thought about another use for the Brød & Taylor proofer - as a plate warming device.

« Reply #527 on: 12 September, 2020, 08:34:01 pm »
Well I made some bread today, shaped it into loafy shape and stuck it in a warm oven for a second prove and...well you can see for youselves:

Ah well, it's still tasty so not exactly a failure.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #528 on: 13 September, 2020, 06:53:36 pm »
Ooh, do report back - I've had my eye on one of those for ages, and given how cold my kitchen gets in winter I may yet crack...

Next task is to see if I can find a generic upper wire rack for it that's cheaper than the OEM B&T one.  And bake some bread (prolly this weekend).

I'm failing at the wire rack thing. Well not exactly, but all the folding cake cooling rack that look like they would do the job are about £12 for a set of three. I don't need 3, I only want 1. I really object to paying B&T £30 plus £6 delivery just for their one so that I don't have 2 racks sitting about unused.

« Reply #529 on: 13 September, 2020, 08:22:12 pm »

I'm failing at the wire rack thing. Well not exactly, but all the folding cake cooling rack that look like they would do the job are about £12 for a set of three. I don't need 3, I only want 1. I really object to paying B&T £30 plus £6 delivery just for their one so that I don't have 2 racks sitting about unused.
Lakeland? I know they do the stack of three ones, but I'm sure they do others.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #530 on: 13 September, 2020, 10:26:30 pm »

Consider finding a stainless rectangular BBQ grill that you could chop down if needed?  eg

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #531 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »
I could, but it needs legs to be the upper tier in the proofer. And preferably folding ones so that I can store it easily when not in use.
I did have a vague memory of having an upper wire rack on legs from our old combi micro oven loafing about in the outhouse somewhere, but having just had a rummage it looks like I tossed that out in the last purge.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #532 on: 16 September, 2020, 09:22:47 am »
I learned just now that the term "pumpernickel" means "devil's fart".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel

For that reason, I think I ought to make some, but I will need some rye flour first.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #533 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:46:21 pm »
Brød & Taylor proofer:

Buns at time 0 in the proofer
2020-09-19_09-22-11 by The Pingus, on Flickr

After 90mins, inflatable buns
2020-09-19_09-22-02 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Baked
2020-09-19_10-39-47 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Happy so far. We had sun in Furrybootoon today so the first prove of the dough was done in the late afternoon sun but I certainly needed the proofer for the 2nd prove.

Also, it was a good job I bought a 3 tier cooling rack set cos I needed two of the racks to fit all those buns in the proofer.

« Reply #534 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:50:06 am »
There's quite clearly some hanky panky going on, as those buns managed to procreate in the time they were being baked. Look good, though.

Out of idle curiosity (as my oven has a proving setting) how does the B&T maintain humidity? In the case of my oven, I slosh about 100ml of water in the bottom, and wipe it out to bake  (to avoid calcification).

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #535 on: 20 September, 2020, 04:18:27 pm »

Out of idle curiosity (as my oven has a proving setting) how does the B&T maintain humidity? In the case of my oven, I slosh about 100ml of water in the bottom, and wipe it out to bake  (to avoid calcification).

Are you not in danger of getting water in the electrics if you bung the water directly in the oven?

Yeah, those photos show 3 different tins of buns.
The B&T comes with a little aluminium tray for water which goes on the hotplate under the rack.

« Reply #536 on: 20 September, 2020, 04:44:23 pm »
Put simply, no. I could witter on about how it is designed for it, but I suspect that water in the bottom of any oven should be no more of an issue than in a roasting dish. The odd feature of the proving setting is that neff appear to have deployed a dedicated bottom element, as well as the normal bottom element. The normal bottom element gets very hot until the oven reaches the temperature. On proving, the bottom doesn't get hot at all, simply warm, hardly that. And, if you put hot water in the bottom it decides it won't do anything

(as mentioned previously, it is also why ICNBA to go down the sour dough route: Dough in the oven, 25 min, into the tins, 25 min, turn on the heat, 45 mins later turn out. As you may find, proving in a device is very consistent)

« Reply #537 on: 20 September, 2020, 04:47:45 pm »
Just out of the oven

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #538 on: 20 September, 2020, 04:48:14 pm »
Thinking about it, the oven here has a defrost function which just circulates room temp air. 

Not sure it matters here tho.  Doesn't get that cold.

« Reply #539 on: 26 September, 2020, 05:27:01 pm »
Just had a soda bread for lunch made with 50% white and 50% Cotswold Crunch.  Very nice! Warm out of the oven with salad and mackeral fillets.

https://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/product/cotswold-crunch-flour/

« Reply #540 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:40:46 am »
The latest part baked baguettes

I think I might be getting the knack.

« Reply #541 on: 12 October, 2020, 06:46:39 pm »
Pas mal...

What do you use to prove them - a couchette?

« Reply #542 on: 12 October, 2020, 07:28:11 pm »
No, a plastic bowl covered with oiled clingfilm.

Dough is 70%, mixed and kept at room temperature. 2x yeast content, multiple proves, knocking back by lifting and folding to try to incorporate air. Final raise in the tins, covered with a tea towel. About 200g of flour per baguette. Baked @ 240 "Circotherm Intensive" on my oven, and I slosh boiling water into a solid tray beneath the rack at the start. Full baking is about 25 min, part baking is about 12 with another 12 @200 to finish.

(as a by the bye, I'm very pleased with the evenness of the bake, some slight darkening on either end of the l/h one, but otherwise even)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #543 on: 20 October, 2020, 03:04:31 pm »
Made a loaf this morning. All white flour, high hydration (~75%). By the end of proving, it was still very wet and sticky, like not-quite-set jelly, and a bit stuck to the side as I was turning it out, so it ended up being a bit of a dough splat, but at least it rose a bit in the oven, so not a total disaster...

Just cut into it and it's got just the right level of aeration inside - plenty of evenly sized bubbles, none too big. And it's flippin' delicious.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #544 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:56:33 pm »
In Mr Tesco's House of Toothy Comestibles this evening, I spied, in the freezer section, frozen (duh) sourdough.

This is Wrong. Very Wrong.

ETA. Not frozen sourdough bread, frozen sour dough, so you can make sourdough bread at home without all that tedious kneading nonsense. It was next to the clip on hipster beards.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #545 on: 06 November, 2020, 11:22:29 pm »
In Mr Tesco's House of Toothy Comestibles this evening, I spied, in the freezer section, frozen (duh) sourdough.

ETA. Not frozen sourdough bread, frozen sour dough, so you can make sourdough bread at home without all that tedious kneading nonsense. It was next to the clip on hipster beards.

Is that sourdough starter?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #546 on: 07 November, 2020, 12:12:15 am »
Ingredients:
Fortified WHEAT Flour (with Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Dried Fermented WHEAT Flour, Dried Durum WHEAT Sourdough, Salt, Yeast, Emulsifier: Mono- and diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids; Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid; Enzymes, Rapeseed Oil.

No, it's not sourdough starter. It's made by the Northern Dough Company, who say
"There aren’t many things that beat the smell of freshly baked bread in the oven. Which is why we were so excited to introduce our Sourdough bread dough to the family. If you know thing or two about making Sourdough from scratch, you’ll know it requires a good helping of time, and double measures of patience. So, being the generous folk that we are, we’ve done the hard bit, so you can fast-forward to the fun bit."

Calling it sourdough is a bit of a stretch.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #547 on: 07 November, 2020, 11:49:48 am »
Calling it sourdough is a bit of a stretch.

And fold?

I think it’s ok to call it sourdough, but the added ingredients are enough to put me off.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #548 on: 07 November, 2020, 01:03:20 pm »

Do you have to defrost the beards before wearing?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #549 on: 07 November, 2020, 05:51:47 pm »

Do you have to defrost the beards before wearing?
Handily the beards are on one of those display stands at the end of the aisle. Pretend sourdough one side, a selection of sewing aids the other