Author Topic: Carradice Bag Repair needle....  (Read 2433 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Carradice Bag Repair needle....
« on: 11 January, 2021, 12:29:04 pm »
Type of needle required?

The light loop is coming off on my roll bag, looks like an easy repair but what type of needle would be best?

Also if the same needle could be useful for threading nuts for the birds would be good too :)

Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Carradice Bag Repair needle....
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:30:41 pm »
Big sharp one. The plastic backing under the canvas lid is much tougher to get through than the canvas itself.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:41:10 pm »

Maybe try a glovers needle?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:44:02 pm »
You can use a "normal" needle, if it's hard to push it through, use pliers and be careful not to bend or break the needle.

Or use a thicker needle, but you might still need a thimble.

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:51:04 pm »
Do you not have the name of the lovely lady who made it on the label?
Do they not accept calls?

ps. I suppose not - their days would be filled with lovelorn calls from YACFers

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:52:56 pm »
if you anticipate other uses then a sewing awl is a useful tool

cheers

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:58:30 pm »
Do you not have the name of the lovely lady who made it on the label?
Do they not accept calls?

ps. I suppose not - their days would be filled with lovelorn calls from YACFers
:thumbsup:
I actually thought about doing that back when it first happened over a year ago but it's only the need to thread some nuts on to string for birds that's driven the need to the point of doing something about it!  I keep expecting the light to fall off the bag at some point but the last straw was when I noticed it was now pointing at the floor rather than horizontal that I thought I need to do something about it.

I've just had another look and there doesn't seem to be any plastic backing involved with the cover, just the duck on outside and cotton inner...
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:02:16 pm »
if you anticipate other uses then a sewing awl is a useful tool

cheers

That's almost like a pre-battery hand held sewing machine... I quite like it but probably overkill for the task at the moment  :thumbsup:

Wasn't there a TV advert for a hand held sewing machine in the 80's??  Something to do with hems and kids school labels.... Ronco or something?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:17:20 pm »
Yup, as well as the Buttoneer, a gadget for fixing buttons to clothes and that portable battery powered vacuum cleaner that was too weak to suck up anything. If only we knew that 40 years later we would still be inundated with all that shite curtesy of the internet.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:27:05 pm »
I tend to take mine to the local shoe repairer. Though that may be tricky at present.

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:29:37 pm »
Err, this "repair" only needs a few stitches.

« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:35:01 pm »

That's almost like a pre-battery hand held sewing machine... I quite like it but probably overkill for the task at the moment  :thumbsup:

it perhaps is overkill for the task in hand; it is meant for sailcloth, leather, and (apparently) amongst other things you can use it for sewing up holes in livestock whilst they are, er, alive. The design has remained the same for about a hundred years so I think it can be described as 'well proven'.

Also it isn't expensive to buy (£5 or £10 should do it), and isn't a burden to own either; it doesn't have ****in' batteries in it, doesn't need charging up, and you can pull it out of a drawer (having not laid eyes on it for a year or more) and it will still work perfectly.  IIRC the awl pictured accepts the same kind of needles as go in sewing machines, which are of course readily available. The handle is hollow and stores the spare needles, wrench etc), so you shouldn't lose the small parts.

cheers

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:50:11 pm »
For shoving big needles through canvas & leather a sailmaker's palm is great. I made myself one > 50 years ago. Still use it on occasion.

I like the look of that awl - kind of thing that looks worth having even if you don't immediately have a use for it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:55:12 pm »

Plus I'd like to reuse the same needle for threading some tasty treats for the resident squirrel and birds...

I don't think our market haberdashery place is open at the moment - I probably would have just called in with the Brompton and asked what they had to fix it so I am left with Amazon at the moment though trawling through seems to throw up inconsistent reviews around bluntness or the eyelets snapping off.   I don't really want to spend more than a couple of quid....

Long shot, but any recommendations?
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:59:47 pm »

Plus I'd like to reuse the same needle for threading some tasty treats for the resident squirrel and birds...

I don't think our market haberdashery place is open at the moment - I probably would have just called in with the Brompton and asked what they had to fix it so I am left with Amazon at the moment though trawling through seems to throw up inconsistent reviews around bluntness or the eyelets snapping off.   I don't really want to spend more than a couple of quid....

These are glovers needles:

https://amzn.to/2MO9jFf

However you may find it more useful to get a full set of leather needles like this:

https://amzn.to/2K4hZ9z

Just be aware that when doing anything with leather working tools, that human skin is just badly tanned leather, and pretty much any leatherworking tool will go through your skin just as easily as it will leather. Trust me, I have first hand experience of it, specifically the left hand. *points at collection of scars*.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:08:28 pm »
What handed are you? im pretty sure OD has or had a sail makers palm but had the wrong hand for him to use

Or ring the cheap shop Tiptree. They are open for collection and absolutely awesome for service

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:26:40 pm »
What handed are you? im pretty sure OD has or had a sail makers palm but had the wrong hand for him to use

Or ring the cheap shop Tiptree. They are open for collection and absolutely awesome for service

Right handed - somewhere local would be good but I'm on a streak of not leaving the house since 28 Dec so probably Amazon for this I think...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:33:24 pm »

These are glovers needles:

https://amzn.to/2MO9jFf

However you may find it more useful to get a full set of leather needles like this:

https://amzn.to/2K4hZ9z

Just be aware that when doing anything with leather working tools, that human skin is just badly tanned leather, and pretty much any leatherworking tool will go through your skin just as easily as it will leather. Trust me, I have first hand experience of it, specifically the left hand. *points at collection of scars*.

J

Smashing thanks, gone for the one in the wooden container so they don't get lost in the household sewing box! :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:45:42 pm »
I'd drop Carradice a line. They say, 'We will repair or replace, at our discretion, any product returned which has failed due to a manufacturing defect' - so it's worth a shot. I returned a bag to another manufacturer (with a similar work ethic) recently and they did a fantastic job.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:53:04 pm »
I'd drop Carradice a line. They say, 'We will repair or replace, at our discretion, any product returned which has failed due to a manufacturing defect' - so it's worth a shot. I returned a bag to another manufacturer (with a similar work ethic) recently and they did a fantastic job.

I had been meaning to do that over the last year and a bit since it happened but never got round to it, I was going to offer the least hassle option of "I don't mind if you send me a needle and some thread" as it's a pain to take it off, package up and ship out to them, but I just never happened, my fault in being a bit slack on it...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #20 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:58:06 pm »

Sure, if it's a major fault but it's a waste of effort, time and resources to send it back for a couple of stitches.

« Reply #21 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:29:01 pm »
Wool bag needle ( I’ve used a fair few for their intended use in my younger days when I could grip a sheep between my knees ( behave at the back!)

https://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/wool-sack-needle.html

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #22 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:51:19 pm »
Mattress needle?
I have a set of 3
one is a semicircle
one looks like the wool bag needle
the last is a straight version of the wool bag.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #23 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »
Sailmakers needles will go through the canvas fine, good ones are triangular and VERY sharp, they should be pushing the threads aside rather than cutting a hole. 
The leather shouldn't need any new holes you ought to be able to use the existing ones, maybe push the needle into these to open them up before you start.  A bit of candlewax on the needle wouldn't hurt.  And of course, use decent thread so it doesn't need doing again.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #24 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:08:39 pm »
Wool bag needle ( I’ve used a fair few for their intended use in my younger days when I could grip a sheep between my knees ( behave at the back!)

https://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/wool-sack-needle.html

ooh err missus  :o

....and I let you rub my legs  ;D