Author Topic: Rust free/resistant chains  (Read 1864 times)

Rust free/resistant chains
« on: 23 January, 2021, 02:35:52 am »
Does anyone have any recommendations for rust resistant/free chains. Commuting in wet conditions and storing my bike in a damp garage plays havoc esp with my waxed chain. Ideally I should be trying to dry off the chain after a ride but it's not always possible. I also don't want to start a debate over whether waxing is a good idea or not or why I've gone down that route, because that's a slippery slope!!

Anyways it would be great to hear from anyone using something like the KMC X12 EPT chain or any alternatives and how hard wearing it is.

Muchos Gracias

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Rust free/resistant chains
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2021, 07:17:27 am »
I've used galvanised chains (Wipperman White Star, for instance).  They look better for longer but you see rust stains here and there and I suspect they rust inside the rollers.

The answer is wet chain lube like Finish Line's.  Waxing is useless, sorry!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2021, 08:52:19 am »
Seeing as how BMW have only just released the first “maintenance free” motorcycle chain, I think you’re on a loser. And how long does it take to run the chain through an oily rag post ride if you’re that bothered about keeping rust off chains you’re not properly lubricating for the conditions (ie waxed chains in wet weather)? 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:22:59 am »
I've been using kmc ep coated chains since last August. I rotate two of them using molten speedwax as a lubricant. I'm not commuting but have ridden in wet conditions[size=78%]. My bikes are stored in the garage which is a separate unheated building. So far I've not seen any rust.[/size]

The chains get rewaxed every 2-3 weeks.

The speedwax has been a revelation. I've done about 2500 km over the two chains and [/size][size=78%]I still can't get the prongs of my Park tools chain checker (the one that gives a %) into the chain.[/size]
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:52:51 am »
The chains get rewaxed every 2-3 weeks
Thing is, I was cleaning and relubing the chain on my commuter once every three months, and doing nothing to it in between.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2021, 12:08:50 pm »
When I used to cycle I found that the mid to high range SRAM chains didn't rust and had good longevity.  I used a wet lube and was not really very good at a regular maintenance schedule.

During the winter the mucky, soggy country lanes of Warwickshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire certainly punish your transmission.

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2021, 07:42:11 pm »
Wet lube and wipe with oily rag after wet rides as above

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:50:36 pm »
I use a SRAM PC991 on my hybrid that does the bulk of winter miles, and this seems to be a decent improvement in predisposition to rust compared to the PC971/PC1031 I use on the recumbents (which really do need a wipe down when exposed to winter skog), and vastly better than the Shimano HG53 it came with originally and whatever Brompton use as a stock chain.

Disclaimer: It's more about not rusting solid if you come home soaked and then ignore it for a few days, rather than an absence of visible rust.

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:51:55 pm »
I've been using kmc ep coated chains since last August. I rotate two of them using molten speedwax as a lubricant. I'm not commuting but have ridden in wet conditions[size=78%]. My bikes are stored in the garage which is a separate unheated building. So far I've not seen any rust.[/size]

The chains get rewaxed every 2-3 weeks.

The speedwax has been a revelation. I've done about 2500 km over the two chains and [/size][size=78%]I still can't get the prongs of my Park tools chain checker (the one that gives a %) into the chain.[/size]

Thank you it's nudged me towards getting the KMC X12 EPT chain. It's a bit of an investment but it may well be worth it especially for my commuter which is out in all sort of weather. I'm using my own homemade wax/teflon mix and I also bought a hot wax treatment and I've mixed both of them together for the hell of it. My commuter is also a recumbent and much of the chain is enclosed in teflon tube so thoroughly drying it is not so easy and as many commuters know you can't always take the time out to wipe the chain down when you get home.

Waxing is not ideal but IMHO it's beats using wet lubes but to each his own. I'm not really interested in a debate on the subject.

« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:05:24 am »
It's amazing I've posted this question on other forums and some people here and there still feel the need to tell me what they put on their chains or how rubbish THEY think my method of chain lubrication is.

The question was:

Does anyone have any recommendations for rust resistant/free chains?

The question wasn't what do you put on your chain to prevent rust?

I don't wish to offend but if you haven't used a rust free chain and/or have no experience of the current crop of rust free chains then you are not helping me at all.

« Reply #10 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:07:59 am »
The advantage of a commute is that the bike doesn't sit around all week like a weekend leisure ride.  I mostly just drizzle some oil on at the end the commute if conditions are wet and let the rear derailleur side plates plane off the chain yuck when it gets too thick.  The oil content keeps the rust at bay.  Sometimes it takes a couple turns of the crank to free up the odd link on a Monday.  This system is terrible if your bike is fallow for more than a couple days at a time though.  Cheap chains last long enough that I have never felt motivated to work out if I could actually extend the lifetime with an obsessive clean and lube routine

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:10:58 am »
The advantage of a commute is that the bike doesn't sit around all week like a weekend leisure ride.  I mostly just drizzle some oil on at the end the commute if conditions are wet and let the rear derailleur side plates plane off the chain yuck when it gets too thick.  The oil content keeps the rust at bay.  Sometimes it takes a couple turns of the crank to free up the odd link on a Monday.  This system is terrible if your bike is fallow for more than a couple days at a time though.  Cheap chains last long enough that I have never felt motivated to work out if I could actually extend the lifetime with an obsessive clean and lube routine

I think the main advantage of a posh chain in this scenario is that you can get away with adding a lot less oil, so it doesn't accumulate schmoo as quickly.

« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:51:56 am »
The question was:

Does anyone have any recommendations for rust resistant/free chains?

Have you considered a belt drive?

You've been signed up here for three and a half years. Surely you've encountered thread drift before ...

« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2021, 10:08:42 am »
There must be a market for double-sided belts for derailleurs, but you'd need special jockeys to allow mounting the belt  ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 24 January, 2021, 10:21:43 am »
I don't wish to offend but if you haven't used a rust free chain and/or have no experience of the current crop of rust free chains then you are not helping me at all.

Welcome to YACF. Soon someone will no doubt chimb in with "I've never had a chain rust, so I don't see what the problem is" then you find they live in a desert...

I can't offer any more useful advice other than I do get spot rust on a KMC X11SL chain after riding in the rain. It rusts really quickly. So one to avoid for your use case.

Nothing rusts as fast as the stock shimano chain tho...

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2021, 09:02:21 pm »
Lovely chain Quixoticgeek though expensive I'm sure  :thumbsup:.

Welcome to YACF. Soon someone will no doubt chimb in with "I've never had a chain rust, so I don't see what the problem is" then you find they live in a desert...
    :facepalm:  Yup I'm sure it'll come.   ;D

Think I'll be starting off with this on my commuter before doing the conversion on my distance recumbent.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2021, 10:04:57 pm »
In the shop I've fitted a few Shimano Nexus NX10 stainless steel chains.  I've only had one bike come back in for subsequent work, but the chain on that seemed to resist rusting.

So it might be worth searching out other stainless steel chains. 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #17 on: 27 January, 2021, 05:42:44 pm »
Gates Carbon belt drive:

https://shop.carbondrive.net/en/

definitely wont rust! 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein