Author Topic: My cat is a murderer  (Read 2963 times)

My cat is a murderer
« on: 18 June, 2008, 12:09:16 pm »
I've had lots of cats over the years. Some would kill the odd bird or mouse and some never seemed to bother to catch anything.

My current cat - Boris The Blade, kills stuff left right and centre! It's starting to become a pain. Last night before going to bed I rescued a mouse he'd brought into the kitchen. I took it right to the end of the garden (where I think all the mice live) and let him go.

I get up this morning and there's mouse guts splattered all around the kitchen. Nice.

The other week I had to put a Blue Tit out of it's misery as the cat had fucked it up good and proper without actually killing it.

I've seen The Blade launch himself at a Wood Pigeon and nearly take it down even though it was as big as he is!

He's a nutter. He'll try and kill anything. He also terrorises next door's cat.

I know it's instinct, but is there any way of calming his murderous, catty ways? I'm bored of cleaning up dead/half dead stuff....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: My cat is a murderer
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:11:36 pm »
Is he neutered?
Does he wear a big gay bell?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:17:19 pm »
Old age normally stops them.  However, ours still slaughter everything in sight, and they're 10 years old...

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
Don't let him out at night.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:21:11 pm »
Is he neutered?
Does he wear a big gay bell?

He has had the chop. He doesn't wear a bell as I think that's a bit crap.

I'm just trying to think of a way to discourage him from being a hit cat.

I've manged to drum it into him that he's not allowed upstairs during the night as he has a tendency to get my attention when I'm asleep by ripping up the carpet! He's chilled with that now and makes no attempt to escape the kitchen  if I go down there during the night as he knows upstairs is a no during the night.

Maybe I'll try closing his catflap when he's out at night so he gets the message that bringing in small, dying mammals is not acceptable!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:13:08 pm »
Supposedly the reason they bring small half alive animals back to our homes, is that they see us as kittens who haven't worked out how to capture prey, so they bring us something to practise on.

I'm not entirely sure of the logic behind this thinking, and even if it is true, I'm not sure how we can use it to stop cats doing this.  In fact, they would probably still capture and kill the animals, only not bring them home.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
Can you let him go and stay with Annie for a bit? I think she has something that he could usefully dispatch.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:18:02 pm »
Ours usually eat them.  And they don't really go for birds anyway.

If you live away from traffic and catnappers, letting them out at night tends to skew the kills towards rodents.  Birds, of course, are asleep somewhere safe at night.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:24:52 pm »
I've seen The Blade launch himself at a Wood Pigeon and nearly take it down even though it was as big as he is!

Once upon a time my chum Mr Hartley was staying at his grilf's parents place, somwhere out in the sticks.  He was in the woods at the bottom of the garden, enjoying an early morning fag, when WHOOOSH!

Grilf's parents' cat launches itself out of a tree in order to attempt to bring down a medium-sized deer.

FAIL.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:30:36 pm »
You could blunt 'The Blade' with a set of these beauties!

« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »
opportunity to post old photo of horriss playing with her lunch:

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:44:34 pm »
we don't mind ours catching most things; rats, mice, rabbits.

But he has taken to catching moorhens, even going into the river after them   :(

We are going to wake up one morning and find the little sod has managed to pull a fully grown goose into the boat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bobajobrob

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:47:49 pm »
opportunity to post old photo of horriss playing with her lunch:

Cute but deadly!

My cat Nacho can't catch anything, he's cross eyed.

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:03:28 pm »
Where we used to lived (next to a small river and fields in N.Yorkshire) one of our cats was on a one-moggy assault on the local wildlife. Used to get all sorts. Loads of mice and shrews, birds of varying discriptions, fish out of next door's pond, moor hens, some dirty great huge water rats, a bat, back half of a rabbit, a hampster (kept that quiet...), and even a kingfisher.

« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:10:04 pm »
Apparently Talisker managed to catch an adult squirrel recently.  It's more of a surprise that he brought it home, since he seems to be a selfish little bugger, and never brings any snacks home for the humans. ;D

I always used to think he was a bit useless as a terroriser of small critters that go crunch, but when it started raining one day, there was a thuda-thud-thud of the cat flap going, and he appeared with a mouth full of dead rodent.  The moment he saw us, he scarpered of with his snack. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:11:11 pm »
Sorry for the pearost:

All 3 of ours now bring stuff in but Alfie (above) is still the worst. All 3 have bells so that doesn't make any difference. Locking the catflap is the best bet as hunting's instinctive: it's not something you can train out of them.

a great mind thinks alike

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:23:36 pm »
Mrs P's brother's cat is a killer too: