Author Topic: What's the most significant addition you've made to OSM?  (Read 2494 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
What's the most significant addition you've made to OSM?
« on: 26 August, 2010, 05:36:41 am »
I just found a B road which wasn't marked and have put it in - the B4339 in mid-Wales, linking the B4342 and the A482.

This wasn't a random find but part of my tour earlier this month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: What's the most significant addition you've made to OSM?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2010, 07:39:14 am »
I don't think I've added any classified roads but I've filled in a few decent sized areas where all the minor roads are missing between two major roads. From a cycling perspective that's useful I think.

On the flip side, I've noticed that there's a fictitious pub marked near me, in somebody's back garden it seems. I don't think it would be valuable to remove it because it's not hurting anyone (although if we all did that it would be silly of course) but I'm tempted to roll up and ask for a pint.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:53:02 am »
Tiverton.  It were a dot when I got here.

So was Creddy but someone else beat me to it...

(Oh, and Leogane in Haiti, which wasn't even a dot, just an intersection)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:05:24 am »
There are whole swathes of residential roads missing from various towns round here, but I would imagine that most towns are the same. I don't consider adding a few dozen of those to be major changes though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:17:44 am »
I tend only to bother with through-roads that a cyclist might find useful in getting from one place to another. I don't bother with residential areas - I'll leave those to the residents.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2010, 07:55:28 pm »
Potlatch?

(scnr)
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2010, 08:37:17 pm »
I'm responsible for marking all the decent bars and restaurants in Bagni di Lucca, Tuscany.

Being an evil git  I neglected to add all the ones I don't like.

Which is the problem with open source mapping ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »
I corrected the layout of a very badly represented junction on Brixton Road.  Within a month, the council revamped the junction so that it looks almost exactly like the OSM layout from before I made my changes.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:41:58 pm »
Potlatch?

(scnr)

I think we have a winner  ;D

I haven't done much... my area was blank until I logged 100+ miles* of GPS traces of the whole residential town.

* estimated

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2010, 08:44:57 am »
Major roads, minor roads. Anything within 90mins of me (almost) has now made it's way onto the map which was mostly 'here be dragons'[1] when I started.

Getting people to use it and add to it. I'll do a demo at the next Access Forum meeting to encourage others to use it.

..d

[1] Quite literally. Part of the area I mapped was Strathmartine
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:15:38 pm »
I fixed the misspelt road names in our village.  Then some nob changed them back again.  Look, I live here and I can read the signs  ::-)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »
If I have time I will have a wander around the village with my GPS I'm in today. As there is only one road on OSM, should take a holiday as the town next door is not really there either.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2010, 08:43:46 pm »
I fixed the misspelt road names in our village.  Then some nob changed them back again.  Look, I live here and I can read the signs  ::-)

This was always one of my fears over OSM as it's opensource.

I haven't the time to keep an eye on all my work and keep correcting it.   One cycle path has disappeared.  As it's a long cut to a dead end I haven't repaired the damage.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »
Not actually OSM but I once marked a lot of the decent single-track trails in Swinley Forest and distributed copies to my GO50 mates - I believe that the crashes that month rose quite alarmingly! :)
Old enough to know better!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2010, 11:56:13 pm »

As it's wiki.  Not opensource.  Edit wars are a wiki thing.  Message the other user and discuss it between you like grownups (as I've done a few times).  Just reverting and rereverting makes people grumpy.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #15 on: 29 August, 2010, 10:50:59 am »
I deleted an entire bridge which isn't there (and never has been as far as I know).

I noticed it because CycleStreets kept on sending me down to the No-Through end of my road, and across this bridge. :-\

For my next trick I need to work out why AndyGates mapping on my Garmin keeps on doing random bizzare things with Cycle Route, ie sending me down ones which are stupid, and not sending me down ones which it ought to.  I suspect that this is some subtlety with the nodes which join things up.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #16 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:22:19 pm »
For my next trick I need to work out why AndyGates mapping on my Garmin keeps on doing random bizzare things with Cycle Route, ie sending me down ones which are stupid, and not sending me down ones which it ought to.  I suspect that this is some subtlety with the nodes which join things up.

Let me know the route and I'll take a look.  (I've got an extra view on my cyclestreets.net login that shows me nodes that don't link together :) )

« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »

As it's wiki.  Not opensource.  Edit wars are a wiki thing.  Message the other user and discuss it between you like grownups (as I've done a few times).  Just reverting and rereverting makes people grumpy.

D'oH!   I can't believe that I wrote that wrong.