Author Topic: ulnar nerve palsy affecting motor function: any experience, recovery time, etc?  (Read 5698 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
I used to get this on every long (400km+) ride on my oldest bike.  Because the bike didn't really fit me and so I put too much weight on my hands.

Always lasted a few months/ weeks and went away in the end

Since I got better fitting bikes not had it at all.  Although I've never ridden anything TCR sized

In case anyone searches for this in future, I thought I'd post an update.

My hand has continued to improve day by day, as everyone said it would.  Now, at 12 weeks on, it is almost, but not quite, back to normal. 

The last bit to fix itself was my middle finger which, until the last week, had no sideways movement.  But now, it has virtually the the same range as its opposite number on my right hand.  My grip strength is almost back to normal but I notice that the pinch grip (forefinger and thumb) is still not quite as strong as on my right (non-dominant) hand - in doing a contest, the right hand always wins the piece of paper! 

My handwriting is still worse than it was beforehand, but better than a few weeks ago when meeting notes really were illegible!  The one thing that I still struggle with is left hand upshifts on my commuting bike (where the front mech has always been pretty stiff). but I expect that will come back soon. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
How are your table manners?

Stabilising a knife and fork using conventional grip is very ulnar nerve dependent.

Do/did you need to hold your cutlery in a fist rather than with an extended index finger?

Just asking...

Yes - at times I had to switch my knife to a fist grip in order to cut things!  I can generally manage with a normal grip now.

The other things that were frequently difficult were
- using a key to open a door
- opening food (crisp-type) packets