Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 71913 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #250 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:41:37 pm »
The canal towpath is actually part of NCN1 and looked a lot worse than it rode.  Routes need variety :thumbsup:

You're leaning against an open door with that sentiment ^^^  :thumbsup: :-*

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #251 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:47:02 pm »
>:(  ARRRRGGHHH!!  -  heads up  >:(

The weekend of the Knights Templar Compasses & Cross ride is blighted by a rail replacement bus service running between London and Ingatestone so the travel from London option is somewhat reduced.  I must have done something bad in a previous Audax life to be hit with rail engineering works again for one of my rides!
Get those ECE plans out again  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #252 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:51:36 pm »
Whereas this week's Kelvedon Oyster should be free of engineering works  O:-)
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #253 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:22:51 pm »
My conflicting event has been cancelled, so I'm in for the Oyster :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #254 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:07:51 am »
If anyone is interested in doing a Knights Templar Compasses & Cross Helpers' ride anytime from the 21st Jan, particularly to check the route sheet instructions, then express your interest and we'll see if we can coordinate a small group.  Some assistance on the day would be helpful too, duties TBD.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #255 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:17:49 am »
If anyone is interested in doing a Knights Templar Compasses & Cross Helpers' ride anytime from the 21st Jan, particularly to check the route sheet instructions, then express your interest and we'll see if we can coordinate a small group.  Some assistance on the day would be helpful too, duties TBD.

I'm doing the ride (can't do the helpers ride) but am happy to help on the day.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #256 on: 17 January, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »
Whereas this week's Kelvedon Oyster should be free of engineering works  O:-)

Anyone else taking the train out of London for this?  I'm planning to pick up the 08.45 from Stratford.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #257 on: 17 January, 2017, 02:04:40 pm »
Yes I should be on that too, with a green Pompino fixed, assuming it's from Liverpool Street.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #258 on: 17 January, 2017, 05:42:07 pm »

I should be able to do a ride to check the route sheets - nothing planned yet for the next weekends.

I am hoping to get to the railway on Saturday morning, that depends on waking up in time after a week of late shifts.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #259 on: 19 January, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »
Regarding Saturday ...

Please can I ask anyone riding with me when we get to Rowhedge to remind me to pay a visit to the Olde Albion as its an unvisited Good Beer Guide pub (*).  I will buy you a pint or whatever else takes your fancy   :thumbsup:

(*)  for those who don't know, I am on a quest to ride my bike to all the Essex pubs listed in the 2013 Good Beer Guide.  So far I have ticked off 67 of the 110 entries.

« Reply #260 on: 19 January, 2017, 06:41:12 pm »
The last time I was there the Olde Albion did not serve food but they were happy for you to bring some in from the Co-op.

Save a bit of room for your oyster remember.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #261 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:46:48 am »
The last time I was there the Olde Albion did not serve food but they were happy for you to bring some in from the Co-op.

The self imposed rulz of my quest say I just need to buy and drink a pint in each Essex GBG pub to qualify for the all important tick.

Redlight

« Reply #262 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:17:01 pm »

The self imposed rulz of my quest say I just need to buy and drink a pint in each Essex GBG pub to qualify for the all important tick.

Don't forget to get a receipt as well!

« Reply #263 on: 22 January, 2017, 08:46:18 am »
Really enjoyed the Kelvedon Oyster yesterday. The visits to the coast were a great feature, and the short off-road sections added to what was a largely picturesque and quiet route.

Thanks to Graeme for organising his first event, and for those who were helping out ... Huggy, Carl, Graeme's daughter, and the lad helping out at the finish who was presumably Huggy's son.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #264 on: 22 January, 2017, 08:59:32 am »
Yep, an excellent day was had.  The vouchers for the oyster (not that I partook) were an excellent idea and I think we struck lucky with the sun being out all day.

Well done guys!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #265 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:25:53 am »
A top day out awheel!  Loved the COR including the bit into Bures which I added, the Olde Albion in Rowhedge, the oysters (thanks for yours psyclist) and the cream tea with bobb in Heybridge.

Well done to ted and his team.

« Reply #266 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
A day bathed in lukewarm sunshine (we seemed to spend the whole day riding into the sun, should have taken a hat with a brim). I think many riders were aware of the chance of ice, so few were pushing it, but in fact most roads had been warmed by that gentle sun, and long stretches were completely dry.

It seemed to take ages to get to the Pebmarsh control. I don't know the area and was beginning to think I'd missed it, or maybe the guy on the corner with the camera on the way into the village was doing some kind of new-fangled photographic control!

In the second half, I recognised some familiar village names, and one stretch of road, from the first event in the series. The canal towpath made a nice change, and pedestrians were cheerfully accommodating. I got back just in time to avoid the need for lights.

Oh, and thanks to John, who kindly provided a couple of zip ties when I realised, before the start, that I forgotten to replace the mudguard that broke last time out ::-)

Next time there's engineering work, I think. Anyone travelling from the north/mid-Herts direction?

« Reply #267 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:26:59 pm »
Folks, I have uploaded the photos I took of you on the hill our of White Colne on the way over to Pebmarsh. The conditions were a bit tricky with all the light and shadow for my limited photographic knowledge.

Kelvedon Oyster Pics

Feel free to download and do as you wish with the pics.

edit: and apologies to those of you who I missed. I signed off a little early as I had to get back to get some jobs done. I know I missed the Orange Tandem, The Stragler and a handful of others, I'll get you next time when I find the top of another hill or maybe I will find a nice spot on the flat next time!

« Reply #268 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:42:41 am »
Another splendid day out - thank you to all who made the organisation so smooth. Also chapeau to all those that then cycled home - once the sun went down it became VERY cold.

PS Good photos Tippers

« Reply #269 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:47:57 am »
Nice route and very amenable to fixies :-)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #270 on: 23 January, 2017, 06:28:42 pm »
As others have already said, thanks for a great ride. For me probably the hardest day out for a long time because of the cold weather and an ECE! We broke our 70km leg to the start at MacDonalds before Mountnessing due to very cold feet, and subsequently arrived at the start just as everyone was setting off, resulting in a 15 minute late departure (Tippers - that's why you missed us, not because we were being slow at that point!). Fhoot had a "lack of energy" phase between Pebmarsh which resulted in us slowing a lot - fortunately the closed level crossing allowed a quick chance to shovel some food down him. We enjoyed the ride around Colchester as we have never been on those paths before. We tried the Jam Jar at Rowhedge for lunch and had very nice soup and panini, accompanied by lashings of tea which really set us up for the afternoon and the speed picked up a bit. We decided to try the canal towpath section which was (as predicted) absolutely fine - a bit of slowing down and being nice to pedestrians but going on a charm offensive is half the fun. We were a bit surprised to see so many people come in behind us - but I think sensibly they had stopped at pubs and/or tea rooms for extra refreshment and that's how we overtook.
The worst ice was on the final section of lane back into Kelvedon, but it was at least visible and so caution was applied. The lowest temperature we recorded all day was -3 deg C cycling near Great Baddow on the way to the start. Brrrr....

Redlight

« Reply #271 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »
Echoing other comments, hats off to Graeme and his crew for getting so many out on a first time event in such freezing conditions and for little touches such as the free oyster.  It was a lovely ride, visiting parts of Essex I was barely aware existed.

I rode from Pebmarsh onwards with Jsabine, who was excellent company and seemed happy with my pedestrian pace.  Lunch at the Anchor in Rowhedge was superb - in fact, Jsabine and I were quite tempted to stay even longer than we did when the blackboard with puddings listed suddenly made an appearance - and the pub at Kelvedon was a good choice for start and finish. 

The only downer was a self-entitled wanker in a Porsche between West Mersea and Tollesbury who threatened to "run us off the f-ing road" for daring to ride side by side on a fairly empty two lane road, but that wasn't enough to spoil the fun.

Yes, it was damn cold, especially once the sun started to get low in the sky.  By the time we finished - around 4pm, I think - my feet had already issued a UDI from my circulatory system, despite thermal socks, and my fingers were starting to follow suit. But winter kilometres count for double, don't they?

I imagine it would also be a good route in summer, but possibly a bit too busy in stretches to be as enjoyable. As a winter warmer, though, it's ideal. Long may it run.  :thumbsup:

Kelvedon Oyster Pics

How much are you charging for them not to be passed on to Arrivee?

« Reply #272 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:06:33 am »

Kelvedon Oyster Pics

How much are you charging for them not to be passed on to Arrivee?
I post them on the internet with no watermarks, they could end up ANYWHERE  :o

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #273 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:33:22 am »
Looks like fun was had by all on Saturday which is gratifying after the Helpers' ride sacrifice to the weather gods 6 days earlier  :)
So, anyone want to join me on a Knights Templar Compasses + Cross helpers' ride this coming weekend?  Saturday 28th 10am departure from the 'spoons is probably favourite, maybe even meet for breakfast first.
The GPX track is nailed having rode the route a couple of weeks ago, other pairs of eyes following the route sheet would be appreciated to filter out any gremlins although I'm pretty confident it's good.

« Reply #274 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:29:45 am »
Kelvedon Oyster Pics
edit: and apologies to those of you who I missed. I signed off a little early as I had to get back to get some jobs done. I know I missed the Orange Tandem, The Stragler and a handful of others, I'll get you next time when I find the top of another hill or maybe I will find a nice spot on the flat next time!

Thanks for the photos Tippers, my wife wants to get one of these (er... of me) printed and framed!  :thumbsup:

That was a hard day out but a useful learning experience for the cold and to test some new kit - wore liner gloves inside lobster gloves and didn't get cold hands at all.

I ECE'd the ride with a 70 km / 30 km split which worked well, and psychologically easier to have a shorter leg after sunset. The sunrise in deserted, Essex lanes sparkling with frost was very beautiful, but I can easily believe it was -3 C as my water bottles froze.

The organisation was great so many thanks to all. The free oyster at West Mersea was a really nice touch and the ACME camaraderie as good as ever - see you all for the Knights Templar ride.