Author Topic: yacf riders  (Read 33250 times)

Davef

Re: yacf riders
« Reply #150 on: 27 August, 2019, 09:42:53 pm »
21 pain au chocolate, 6 bananas, 1 rice pudding, 1 carbonara, 1 bolognaise, 1 pasta with chicken Breast, 1 pate baguette, 3 ham baguettes, 2 gels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #151 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:12:13 am »
Here is my story of my first PBP completed in 46h56. In total I stopped for 2.5hrs in total (44h30 riding time), no sleep, so around 10min per control point. This plus riding in a group, getting some food/drinks from other people's support crew only at control points from a bit before Brest explain the relatively fast time.
Being French but leaving in the UK since 2017, sorry in advance for my English!

No problem.

It is getting dark, one German guy screams about my fixed rear light being too bright. No worries I have another one less bright, but ask him to be a bit polite, your are way too nervous Sir!

You communicate very well.  :)

Chapeau Claude, extraordinary ride. Reading these kind of accounts is akin to reading something from a different universe. It's mind boggling to understand how you lot can keep going for so long without sleep  - although sleep is forever hammering on the door! Nice to see the human side of Zigzag being exposed too :)
Interesting to see Michel Mingant finished in 49hrs. That's inspiring for those of us knocking on a bit.
Well done. Amazing stuff.
Garry Broad

« Reply #152 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
I would like to think you'd get mitigation for some of those  :)

I've applied for extra time but if I've asked the right people in the right way who knows?
The mystery of PBP will work itself out

Let's hope your request is viewed sympathetically. I was following you on the tracker and wondered why your 'pace' had suddenly trailed off. On Thursday I was checking in about every 15 minutes to see if you were going to make it!

ISTR that jsabine had a similar experience, helping another rider, in 2015 and was given appropriate latitude.  Good luck.

Indeed - I got two hours knocked off, having spent them waiting for a controller to arrive to assist a French rider who was by the roadside, sans vélo, somewhere between Mortagne and Dreux.

I did get that signed off in my brevet card by the roadside though - hope whoever you spoke to has the power to get appropriate adjustments made.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #153 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:48:02 am »

Indeed - I got two hours knocked off, having spent them waiting for a controller to arrive to assist a French rider who was by the roadside, sans vélo, somewhere between Mortagne and Dreux.

I did get that signed off in my brevet card by the roadside though - hope whoever you spoke to has the power to get appropriate adjustments made.

Yeah although I went to to the Fougeres control to check on the crashed rider no one signed anything at the time.  The control people didn't think of it and neither did I.  The bike was picked up etc so the incident is recorded in some way.  I've emailed Thiery Rivet (apparently the right person) but whether it will work out ok, who knows?  I emailed in English, which won't help :)

TBH as a 2x Ancien helping people is more important than homogulation so it's not the "oh you must be gutted" that other people are saying to me

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #154 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:53:40 am »
Here is my story of my first PBP completed in 46h56. .... What an incredible experience! ....
"
It is nice reading your stories and there are some many ways to ride PBP that I understand why people do it every 4 years!
Claude

great write up and very athletic performance!

« Reply #155 on: 28 August, 2019, 01:24:51 pm »
1,211km in 71:56:03
52:33:27 moving
15:12:30 stopped with 6:30 ‘sleeping’ (5:00 at ~606km /1:30 @ ~1012km) and 9:28:39 at controls (mostly eating)
1589 tss
11,302m climbing
26,044 kJ
15 sandwiches
19 pastries
18 coffees
4 pro plus
6 ibroufen
4 bananas
3 gels
2 apples
2 crepe

Nice ride, scenery was a bit samey for the first/last 550km.
Finish was tedious / dangerous.
Support was amazing.

« Reply #156 on: 31 August, 2019, 03:15:49 pm »

Yeah although I went to to the Fougeres control to check on the crashed rider no one signed anything at the time.  The control people didn't think of it and neither did I.  The bike was picked up etc so the incident is recorded in some way.  I've emailed Thiery Rivet (apparently the right person) but whether it will work out ok, who knows?  I emailed in English, which won't help :)

TBH as a 2x Ancien helping people is more important than homogulation so it's not the "oh you must be gutted" that other people are saying to me

Thierry speaks enough English to handle emails in English.

« Reply #157 on: 31 August, 2019, 06:10:23 pm »
Yes , but vorsprung is from DEVON- a very odd type of english. Is spoken .  Even the English  don't really understand it.  :demon:

« Reply #158 on: 31 August, 2019, 08:26:03 pm »
Yeah, but the accent doesn't come through on emails. He'll be right.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #159 on: 31 August, 2019, 08:58:45 pm »
Yes , but vorsprung is from DEVON- a very odd type of english. Is spoken .  Even the English  don't really understand it.  :demon:

When I moved to Devon 25 years ago I was baffled by Uncle Michaels way of speaking.  All I could make out was the odd swear word.  When I mentioned it, I was told "oh noone understands him"

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #160 on: 06 September, 2019, 05:05:26 pm »

Email back from ACP today
Hi
Good news, we took in account your request and you will be finisher with the time of 90 hours.
Regards
Thierry Rivet

Which is cool

Chris S

« Reply #161 on: 06 September, 2019, 05:25:21 pm »

Hi
Good news, we took in account your request and you will be finisher with the time of 90 hours.
Regards
Thierry Rivet

Which is cool

That's fair.

« Reply #162 on: 06 September, 2019, 06:50:47 pm »
Well done Vorsprung - for stopping twice to help, and for getting a fair result from ACP.

« Reply #163 on: 06 September, 2019, 08:06:01 pm »
It looks like the ACP is now batch handling the requests for extra time due to assisting other riders. A Dutch rider reported to me today that he also had his finish time corrected.

« Reply #164 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:21:58 pm »
At some stage would you like me to feed back your issues to the organisers?

Have had a good chat with the president of the Rambouillet cycling club, he is a really nice.  So can feedback your thoughts to him.

My take:
I thought the finish was unnecessarily chaotic. I came in around 1300 and there were hundreds of oblivious people walking, riding, and driving on the road to the finish before and during the cobblestones. The gravel/cobble stretch to the timer seemed confusing and potentially dangerous for exhausted riders. I would recommend at least putting the timer at the finish kite. The trip to bike storage and to the tent was also very crowded and slow and prominent signs would have helped. Overall, not circling around in the Bergerie would have greatly simplified the whole process and putting up something like cones and caution tape to separate the finishers from the crowd on the road up from the park entrance would have helped as well.

I didn't like he ride into SQY either but I thought the finish layout in 2011 was much better and more obvious than either 2015 or 2019.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #165 on: 09 September, 2019, 08:37:39 am »
At some stage would you like me to feed back your issues to the organisers?

Have had a good chat with the president of the Rambouillet cycling club, he is a really nice.  So can feedback your thoughts to him.

My take:
I thought the finish was unnecessarily chaotic. I came in around 1300 and there were hundreds of oblivious people walking, riding, and driving on the road to the finish before and during the cobblestones. The gravel/cobble stretch to the timer seemed confusing and potentially dangerous for exhausted riders. I would recommend at least putting the timer at the finish kite. The trip to bike storage and to the tent was also very crowded and slow and prominent signs would have helped. Overall, not circling around in the Bergerie would have greatly simplified the whole process and putting up something like cones and caution tape to separate the finishers from the crowd on the road up from the park entrance would have helped as well.

I didn't like he ride into SQY either but I thought the finish layout in 2011 was much better and more obvious than either 2015 or 2019.

The finish was chaotic but I would guess if they ran it again with the same layout it could work better as the crowds would know to keep out of the way of incoming riders
Or maybe they could hire more barriers

« Reply #166 on: 14 September, 2019, 11:15:57 am »

"Hi
Regards
Thierry Rivet"

Which is cool

Great!