Author Topic: A flock of wagtails.  (Read 1515 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
A flock of wagtails.
« on: 21 January, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »
Kingsmeadow Tesco, Cirencester, about 1615 last Friday.

Saw a flock ( two to three dozen) of what looked very like pied wagtails, but the light was going so couldn't be sure.

I've never seen more than two or three together before.  Anyone else seen similar or know if it's been observed elsewhere?

Is it possible they weren't wagtails at all, despite the fact that those I saw walking were moving like wagtails?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
Re: A flock of wagtails.
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2009, 12:59:31 pm »
Wow.  I love wagtails, and have done since a pair nested just above our classroom, but I've never seen large numbers of them.  Probably no more than about half a dozen together.

That said, there've been a lot about this last year...
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2009, 01:05:09 pm »
Long tailed tits, perhaps? They flock.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2009, 01:45:47 pm »
Pied wagtails migrate.  I've seen them in numbers (10s) at the same place and time, though not really packed into what you might think of as a "flock" - but that doesn't mean to say that they don't flock.

Long-tailed tits flock, though in my experience they typically trickle from tree to tree.  They're in some ways almost ridiculous things: tiny balls of fluff with big long tail feathers sticking out one end; but cute, feelgood birds for all (or because of) that.

As for the birds in the OP:  if they were hopping and fluttering around the surface of car park from space to space (or car to car) they were probably wagtails; if they were skitting one after the other from semi-tree to semi-tree, I'd put my money on long-tailed tits.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2009, 08:25:38 am »
I'm fairly certain that they weren't long-tailed tits, we see smallish groups of those coming through our garden about this time of year, and the size and behaviour of the birds I saw was typical wagtail rather tha l-t tit.

I think RJs confirmation that they do gather in (small) flocks satisfies me that they were wagtails.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2009, 08:29:30 am »
“A Flock of Wagtails”

That lesser known eighties band   ;D

I can't be the only one that thought this surely?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2009, 09:49:18 am »
No, you weren't, but I was too embarrassed to say anything.  Thank heaven's I've still decided to stay schtum
Getting there...